Samsung Electronics Announces New Advanced Semiconductor Fab Site in Taylor, Texas

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Thunk_It likes this.
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Oh so they let Samsung of all dig into the 3 billion government money they want to spend on upping fab capacities in the US? I'm surprised by that.

Valken likes this.
  3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    This is great until the power goes out and the prices of all our crap goes up because Texas refuses to plug into the national electric grid. Glad they are subsidizing multi-billion dollar companies though while they charge the frack out of "hardworking Central Texans and their families" because they don't want to pay to winterproof their facilities.

Valken and Kaarme like this.
  4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Seems like Samsung was highly impressed by how Texas handled the situation in February.

But, you know, hardships encourage innovation. Maybe the strategy in Texas is to force households and communities to come up with local power solutions of their own, abandoning the ailing public power grid.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Do you guys per chance have a link where I can read up on this?

6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Just google "texas power outage" or equivalent. It even has its own Wikipedia page, which tells you it did pack a punch.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  7. neikosr0x

neikosr0x Active Member

GPU:
    Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333mhz
    Quite funny because this isn't the only place in the US that had suffered power cuts or winter induced services run down. It was a shitty situation recently but why it didn't happen in the past? oh right, because it wasn't planned, crap happens as long as it isn't something that happens every month, year or week, there is nothing to worry about. No wonder why the influx of people moving to Texas is massive atm and no wonder why companies are more interested in doing business in Texas... leave your political views out, this is great for the US and Samsung.

Slammy likes this.
  8. Slammy

Slammy Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7800GTX
    Exacty, texas is so bad yet people are leaving democrat run states by the dozens and cant seem to figure out why their states suck hahha

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    No where in my post did I say it was the only place this occurred so I don't know why you are bringing it up.

It literally happened in the past, it happened in 2011:

https://www.ferc.gov/sites/default/files/2020-04/08-16-11-report.pdf

This 2011 report quotes another report from 1989 about the same thing.

So yeah, I do know why companies are interested in doing business in Texas -- it's because the state subsidizes the companies and when the companies screw all their customers, they just pass the cost along to the customers anyway. Nice

Never said Texas was bad - just hate state subsidizes. Why is my tax dollars going pay for multi-billion dollar corporations? I want to be taxed less, not more.

Also if you only argue by looking at the total number of people leaving states and nothing else, then you have a 3rd grade, 3head take on social economics. Research vertical mobility then talk about which states suck so much. Longstory short: Texas ain't bad but the red states directly east of it are an abomination.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    schmidtbag likes this.
  10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    How fortunate to choose a place like Texas!
    No floods were registered there, so little chances that that will hinder production and jack up the prices!
    Wait a minute, no floods but fires and power grid issues are rampant!

Jest aside, more plants can render a higher production volume, but that doesn't necessarily means lower prices and higher availability. For now.

Valken likes this.

11. hamltnblue

hamltnblue Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    This is hopefully only the beginning of some manufacturing moving to the US.
    With China knocking on the door and threatening to take over Taiwan, the threat of the majority of the semiconductor industry being controlled by communists is a real thing.
    Moving to alternate locations like the US and Europe could help for sure in the event it happened.

12. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Samsung just pulled a Ponzi off of Texas... milk their money, let the it fall apart and then leave... Well done Mr Kim.

13. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    I am glad for this development, and I hope Samsung has great success with it. Also, I hope the great state of Texas will benefit as well. Thank you Hilbert for posting this story.