Samsung Display Going Big With OLED - To Invest 8.9 Billion in OLED production

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    Not only are none of the phone screens HDR (unless the newly released S8/S8+ are), but they're still pentile for ****'s sake. There were rumours the S8/S8+ would finally use an RGB array, but they don't. That makes all the difference in the world for VR where the clarity actually matters a lot. 1440p pentile leaves visible subpixels, which is super distracting with its obnoxious diamond pattern. Reduce the advertised resolution of a pentile screen by 1/3rd, that's what you're actually getting.

The only people who claim it's anywhere nearly as good as having, you know, real pixels, are Samsung's own engineers who developed the current pentile type used. "You can't tell any difference! Hurrr!" - TL;DR of one of Samsung's (self-proclaimed) engineers ****-posting nonsense in the comments of some random site.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  2. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    Finally! OLED has always been a ground breaking discovery, I have been waiting for OLED tech to finally hit the mainstream panel market since early 2000.

3. bombardier

bombardier Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti GAMING
  4. DeskStar

DeskStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Be sure to get that default image on your home screen changed every so often. My wife has her google bar permanently burned into her Samsung GS7..... Pretty damn sad considering the phone isn't even a year old and bought brand new.

My father had the same experience with his GS3, but hey experiences aren't everything.....right...?? HA!

Just try and be careful as I can guarantee it will happen on any and all Samsung phones with OLED/whatever screen has been in these particular phones.

Seriously sad as my Iphone 4S is still just fine from day one purchase and many years of use... Sure wish I still had my Lumia 950XL though....

5. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Image burn in is something that should have died and been forgotten about a Loong Time ago...

Shameful that it still exists today! :bang::puke2::bang:

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Maybe we should bring screensavers back. Most people think they're just there for something fun to look at when your computer goes idle, but they were called "savers" for a reason.

7. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Eagle
    It get even more complicated once you run signal thru something like AV receiver that does not support some non standart video resolutions.

8. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Eagle
    It still exists, but its way better then years ago and it can be mitigated if you don't use static screens with sharp contrast edges and change it time from time.

9. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    I noticed when I read the manual (hey, it's my 1st 4K screen, the novelty value was running strong) to my current LG 27UD68P-B I saw it warned that a screen saver should be used to avoid burn in. Surprised me a little, had not heard about it being a thing since Years back at the time - until this OLED issue with it.
    My screen is often at desktop 24/7 (when I fall asleep late at night before shutting down + power save does not kick in for whatever reason), no sign of image burn in at all on this IPS screen after about 8 months or so of such life thankfully :)

Although I bet modern screen savers are pretty awesome ^_^

I hope Samsung iron such bugs out with all this investment, OLED promises so many things, especially super high refresh rates up to 400Hz + in theory.
    Some nice 27 - 30" 4K HDR high refresh screen would be Very nice !