Samsung confirms the Note 7 is coming back as a refurbished device

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Extraordinary, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Samsung confirms the Note 7 is coming back as a refurbished device

Pending approval by local regulators

[​IMG]

Ahead of the Samsung Galaxy S8 launch, the company has released a statement regarding its plans to recycle Note 7 devices. The process comes in three parts: save salvageable components such as camera modules and semiconductors, extract metal parts with the help from “eco-friendly” third-party companies, and sell refurbished devices “where applicable.”

The announcement appears to walk back on what Samsung initially pledged last fall, when it said it would dispose of the Note 7 and had no plans to repair or refurbish them. Instead, Samsung has confirmed it will work with local authorities and carriers to sell it as a refurbished device, rumored to come with a smaller battery to prevent it from overheating and catching fire. The company said available markets are to be determined as they work with local regulators to approve of the sale.

“The objective of introducing refurbished devices is solely to reduce and minimize any environmental impact,” Samsung told The Verge in a statement. It also hinted that the phone may be renamed entirely when more details are unveiled. “The product details including the name, technical specification and price range will be announced when the device is available. Samsung will not be offering refurbished Galaxy Note 7 devices for rent or sale in the US.”

Samsung’s recycling plans come after Greenpeace protestors interrupted the company’s Mobile World Congress keynote last month, demanding to know what the company will do with the 4.3 million recalled devices. “Samsung’s announcement is the first step to show its effort to set a new path for recycling smartphones starting with Note 7s,” Greenpeace wrote in a blog post. “Greenpeace will make sure Samsung takes into account the voice of millions of our supporters and abides by its commitment.”

Update March 27th, 11:45AM ET: This story has been updated to include a statement from Samsung about its refurbishing sales plans.

Source:
    http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/27/15072560/samsung-note-7-refurbished-device-recyling-announced

2. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    The issue is the battery and in some regions like Asia, there were no issues. It is a good phone overall and just needs a new battery cover to allow more tolerance for the battery slot. Just replace the batteries and case cover. Done.

3. wizyy

wizyy Guest

GPU:
    RX 470 4GB
    Unexploded hand grenades should also be refurbished

4. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    Spot on, wizyy, spot on!

They should also include the previous (bad) battery as a pandant or some other wearable. Well, because it is "environmentally friendly"...

5. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    in English what does it mean? they will sell Note 7 again?

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yep, they're gonna put a smaller battery in so it has room to expand this time, and sell them as refurbished (Not new) so should be cheaper this time around

7. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    Just thought - I will laugh myself out if\when the refurbished Note 7 again explodes.
    And I just can't imagine what Samsung will do in this case.
    (it is highly unprobable, but still - did they even think how to respond in the worst case scenario...)

8. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    are those second hand phones then? or never used Factory out device?

i gave back my note 7 that time so it will now be in hand of another person as that refurbished thing?

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Probably a mixture of both, they're doing this to claw back the millions of £/$ they lost with the recall, so they'll be wanting to sell all the phones they were sent back from customers along with whatever they had left in warehouses

Maybe there will be two price levels, "unused refurb", and "used refurb"

10. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i can buy one. it was epic piece of hardware.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    So was the atomic bomb :D

Wonder what sort of price drop they'll have

12. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Wonder what the refurbished price will be. Wouldn't mind an upgrade from a note 3

13. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    lol, tomorrow the S8 gonna be released live, i love how samsung market their devices, they do it perfectly, but no phone gonna make me change my new Mate 9, the battery life and CPU performance are amazing, no throttling at last.

14. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Word of advice

...to those who are eagerly awaiting S8: be a little more patient and wait until, after yet another fiasco, Samsung starts distributing S8 R(efurbished)...

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

What's the photo quality like with the dual cameras?

16. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I think £500 max is a fair price, no more.

17. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Excellent, Black and white is unmatched if u like it, daylight photos are slightly better than S7E, which i had, low light can be better than S7E if there is lot of white light, like florescent, however on harsh conditions it can't compete with S7E, but picture is still usable.

What i really like, is the ability to adjust the F.stop after u take the photo, u can blur or unblur any part of the image, it's very good.

Overall cameras are great, P10 Plus got it even better and i hope Mate 10 will have it even better, but i think Samsung gonna do the best dual camera, if they at least do it as i think, one main camera with high MP for daylight, and secondary with bigger pixels lower mp and higher F.stop.

I use my D5500 as main camera, so i'm not really impressed by any phone :)

18. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Bought mate 9 last Saturday. Really good. Just rear finger scanner is awkward. Can't open my phone while it lays down on desk etc.

edit: and no wireless charging.

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Yea probably wouldn't be so bothered if I had a proper camera too, but atm phone is my primary camera so always look at that first when choosing a new phone

Does look a good phone, battery life with 4000mAh too, one to remember when I'm due an upgrade (Probably Mate 10 by then)

20. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Mate 9 stomps any phone I've used in terms of battery and cpu performance.

it's super fast, it the ONLY phone that runs Tekken 6 60fps with hitches here and there, cause of the PPSSPP emulator(happens on PC too), no need for root to tweak settings to get it done, audio quality could be better but it's still good.

Screen is excellent, FHD but crisp, sharp and super bright under sunlight, my average SOT as heavy user, with 4G on all the time and playing intensive games, is around 6-8hours, on my S7E i would have to charge it already....

If you are interested, P10P have same cameras as M9 but with f 1.8, low light would be much better, if needed, i can provide you samples.

Note though, if u love photography like me, get a DSLR, it still the best damn thing :)