Samsung announces prices of new 2019 8k and 4k TVs in QLED series

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 1, 2019.

1. DeskStar

DeskStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti/3090FTW
    This sorry one I currently live in is up there that's for sure....as in up in the arse of something awful!

Makes me sick sometimes to have to be here. I fear for my children and their safety elsewhere as being a foreigner isn't easy with no native language skill set to base oneself off of. Kids are in danger anywhere i get that, but to make it harder with no commonality between locals is and would be tough.

Would love to move.out of this country to be honest. Even after all I've done for it...and my friends who aren't here any more becaus of it.

2. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I really doubt TV manufacturers design TVs specifically for watching movies/shows and other TVs for watching everything else. You should be able to watch anything and everything on a TV, and if burn-in is an issue then the technology is flawed.

Note that phones also use OLED technology. Both my Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S8+ have issues with burn-in since I use my phone heavily and display a lot of static content (e.g., keeping track of stocks or computing statistics throughout the day). My sister said I must be using it wrong but how it is wrong to use my phone the way I want? If the device or screen cannot keep up with heavy users then it is flawed, pure and simple.

Watching the news isn't some unique or dangerous thing - it's a very common thing that many people do with their TV. To equate this to driving a car in dangerous winter conditions is asinine. The problem with OLED TVs is that you cannot watch certain shows that people commonly watch (news, sports or any show with a static image on screen) without running the risk of burn-in.

Here's a good car analogy for you. Let's say some car manufacturer designs a car with a unique steering mechanism. It allows for superior steering and control in certain areas, but has a tendency to freeze up if you drive straight for a long period of time. Would this be considered a good steering mechanism for a car? Furthermore, let's say that someone defends this car by saying: "This car is made for driving on roads with turns. It's the customer fault for using the car for something it isn't meant to do: drive on a straight road for a long time". Would this explanation in any way exonerate the car's very obvious flaw? The answer is obviously no, since driving on a straight road is a common scenario for a car and it's something that all cars should be able to handle without issue.

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's not a good analogy because you're leaving out the time needed for the freeze and what you're actually getting in terms of "superior steering and control" that's not to mention that a frozen steering column can kill a person/people, a burned in TV doesn't.

RTINGS did a burn-in test, they had 5 OLED C7's with CNN, Football, Call of Duty, NBC and FIFA 18 looped for 20 hours a day for 54 weeks. The only test that even showed visible burn in was CNN and I wrote earlier that it took 2 weeks - apparently that was a glitch that was firmware fixed, it actually took 4 weeks at 20 hours a day for noticeable burn in. It's definitely not a common thing to watch CNN for 20 hours a day for 4 weeks straight. The other tests took up to 32 weeks at 20 hours a day to start showing burn in on a color slide - the author stated it wasn't noticeable at all in normal content even at 54 weeks.

I've personally owned a LG 65" C7 for a year and a half now. I play games on it, I watch movies on it, TV, Football, news, etc. Hell I even let the Nvidia shield idle to the chromecast window where the white "CHROMECAST" text thing is there for hours. I have zero burn in.

Can burn in occur? Sure. Is it a problem for normal usage? No. I haven't seen it and there are people on the LG subreddit with earlier OLED models 3+ years old that regularly post showing zero burn in.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  4. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
    No, I mean 30 hours, my day equals to about 50-60ish hours
    Check this out LOL
    I wake up at 23:00 Lets call it Sunday
    Then go to seep Tuesday usually betwen 4:00 and 7:00 at night
    Sometimes if im tired i can go to sleep at 02:00 at night
    When I started this regiment, i usually stay awake 26 hours and sleep 22 hours
    Now i sleep 16-20 hours
    On some days i can take a mid day nap for 4-5 hours but then ill go sleep much later at 08:00-09:00 the day after

So as you see my TV/Monitor stays on for 30 hours, you can call me a study case since im sure there is NO ONE o planet earth that has his OLED or even regualr TV ON for 30 hours straight unless its demo model in a shop.
    And my TV/Monitor does the WORST possible thing for Burn-In: Shows PC stuff like web-browsers, file managers and all that, abut half of my screen are tabs i have maybe over 2000 or 3000 tabs across 6-7 Sub pages in waterfox, usually i see less then half of my 4K screen, the rest are tabs on top

Loobyluggs likes this.

5. MegaFalloutFan

GPU:
    RTX3090
    Your calling us BIASED but its clear that you and Luggs are both BIASED AGAINST OLED and what you do is called SCAREMONGERING!
    There are no bad reviews against OLED since 2016 models came out, the only negatives are few real people with problems and lts of shills of Samsung that doing diservice and trying to scare people of buying OLED.
    OLED is the only thing that hurt Samsung pockets, they didn't want to admit it and tried to push old LCD tech under different names, because its the cheapest and what they have..
    You cant just count the number in of forum post and say: Thats 1900 people with problem, you need to at least read some and Most of them are people without problems.
    The most important thing people forget to take into account that people without problems are not going to post online about that, so no matter whats the product it always the bad post.
    When 2080Ti had issues it looked like all of them broken and again the TROLLS and the HATERS made it look so by reposting and making videos, in the end it died off after 2-3 weeks when no more actual complaints came in.

And btw, I made such a "bad" purchase that im looking into replacing my still working and the only model with 3D stereo with 2019 HDMI 2.1 version IF the 512 zone HDR1000 PC monitors wont come out or cost more then TV, which might happen, over here the 2018 OLED started at 10K and now its 7K, the ASUS 27INCH 500zone 4K 120HZ HDR1000 PC monitor is 12K or maybe even 14k, if tehse two monitors ACER Predator X35 and its ASUS version costs more then 6-7K, I rather get a new OLED iwth HDMI 2.1 and FreeSync, maybe not this year with my 2080Ti then next year with 3080Ti NVIDIA will implement HDMI 2.1 and ill get instant upgrade to my PC with 4K/120Hz and VRR and PS5 and Xbox One X2 will have HDMI 2.1 for sure [ill be buying PS5 or PS5 Pro if they sell them at same time]
    btw, 3D stereo on OLED is the best ever on any TV, if the 3D generation started now with OLED it wouldn't die off, because it finally looks AMAZING, its full resolution 1080p, with feather light glasses that cost under 10$

DeskStar likes this.
  6. DeskStar

DeskStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti/3090FTW
    Using an oled for a monitor isn't the best practice at all.... I mean i game on mine with my PC here and there, but not as a daily driver for my Puter

7. DeskStar

DeskStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti/3090FTW
    I can honestly say the only phones that have seen that exhibit screen burn in like that are that of Samsungs amoled screens. My brothers, wife's and both my fathers and step.moms all have them burn ins. Sad truly as my wife's phone wasn't even year old or so when i noticed it. These are all on S6's to S8+s .... Kinda interesting.

MegaFalloutFan likes this.
  8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Please don't call me a scaremonger. That sounds like conspiracy theoreticism :)

I, for some reason, have to mention this again: The manufacturers are the ones making the case against you.

I simply agree with the facts that organic matter degrades...

9. MegaFalloutFan

GPU:
    RTX3090
    Well thats my point, im doing it from 2016 I have C6P and it works fine, no burn-in, AMAZING picture.
    I dont forget to run Clear picture every 4-5 days and no problems.

DeskStar likes this.
  10. MegaFalloutFan

GPU:
    RTX3090
    AMOLED is not real OLED but cheap mobile imitation, AMOLED uses Pentile pixel arrangement, for example if you count all the subpixels in OLED PSVR 1080P and all the subpixels in AMOLED VIVE or RIFT, PSVR will have MORE pixel density and higher pixel resolution.
    Thats why I got PSVR and skipped PC VR until they come with proper OLED or good LCD and I want my PC VR to be at least a minimum of 1440p per eye but better yet native 4K per eye and support the new USB-C one connector

fry178 likes this.

11. MegaFalloutFan

GPU:
    RTX3090
    I proved that they dont say anything like that.

12. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    1st world problems, buy a $60k TV or sports car...

fantaskarsef likes this.
  13. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Most of the people I know use Samsung phones, but none have this problem (as far as I know). I was annoyed to see it on my S6 but didn't think too much of it, until I saw it on my S8+ as well (which is unfortunate, as I really liked the phone otherwise and was planning on using it for a very long time). I had hoped that the technology would have improved by now and such issues wouldn't come up, but I was wrong. The home screen, chrome and notification bar elements are clearly burned in, as well as menu options for the Fallout 4 pip-boy app (I guess it's a testament to how much I play the game :p).

I was originally an advocate of OLED because of the rich blacks, but I have no choice but to admit that the technology is flawed. Suffice to say, if I get a new phone (or TV) in the future I'll think twice about getting an OLED one, as it will most likely result in another burn-in.

DeskStar likes this.
  14. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Ok, well, I can prove they do and they are.

No warranty.
    Company-released information listing the problems.
    Science.

15. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    D3M1G0D
    Amoled are not identical with sony/lg oled tech, or samsungw ould need it licensed to make them.

MegaFalloutFan likes this.

16. DeskStar

DeskStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti/3090FTW
    DLP's, Plasmas and early LCD's were really prone to burn in too. Shoot I've seen CRT's of yesteryear with burns in them.... OLD SCHOOL ARCADE GAMERS anyone???

Get over it. It's been around for years... Image burn that is. It's just in different forms now due to technology advancing.

17. adityaroy8744

adityaroy8744 New Member

GPU:
    Memory size
    For QLED, depending on the applicable price cuts or discounts at the time of purchase, the current prices
    4K 55 inch 55Q60R - € 1.399,00
    4K 55 inch 55Q70R - € 1.799,00
    4K 55 inch 55Q80R - € 2.199,00
    4K 55 inch 55Q85R - € 2.499,00
    4K 55 inch 55Q90R - € 2.799,00
    8K 82 inch 82Q950R - € 9.999,00
    The prices have been sourced from the official website of Samsung Netherlands. Most of the prices have been brought down from the original release price and you confirm the same by visiting the official website.
    Cheers!

18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
  19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Not exactly on topic, but didn't want to start a new thread for the sake of it.

Anyone got/used one of these, looks decent for £1k and even support Freesync up to 120hz if you drop to 1440p.

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I have the Q9 version and it is indeed a superb 1440p 120Hz display.