Samsung Announces First EUV DRAM with Shipment of First Million Modules

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Chess

Chess Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    Let's hope we'll see DDR5 for mainstream or at least enthusiast next year. Future proof wtf!
    Would be nicely timed for the new socket AMD is going to use.

3. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    How about in like two or three years.... Yeah. I'll still be scooping up AMD's next CPU for my Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme TRX40 build I just put together... 4000 series could be hot hot hot baby. Then again their 3000 series all around is already friggin smoking!!

Why I bought a 3900X and a 3960X baby!!! Couldn't be happier with the both of them!

4. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I'm about 99% sure that is AMD's plan hence the new socket for Zen4. This may end up a brilliant plan if it works out having DDR5 about 1 year before you have CPU's built using it.

5. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Looking forward to DDR5, the only reason for me to upgrade my 4790k DDR3 system 40ns with 25GB/s is plenty for 4 cores.

But if I had to go 16 Cores, I need 4 times that B/W to have my cores not starve. No way a dual channel DDR4 system can provide me that.

Chess likes this.
  6. Chess

Chess Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    I have exactly the same reasoning. I don't have fast memory to feed my 3930k , but quad channels helps to lessen to offset to DDR4, I believe.
    Back in the day a good CPU with quad memory was achievable. Now-a-days motherboards are a bit over-the-top expensive for me. So I'm hoping to wait for DDR5 dual channel :(

craycray likes this.
  7. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    @craycray too

With the 3900 and 3950 tested already i am not sure why you feel quad channel is needed , would be nice ? Sure! What kind of workload you do that the 2 channel would bottleneck you?

8. Chess

Chess Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    Right now? Nothing. But in the long run!
    Like right now, I have a 3930k with quad DDR3 1600. It can no longer compete with modern systems, but it could for a LONG time.
    It's 8Yo by now. That's ancient. But gaming is still pretty doable. And I think not only the OC to 4Ghz and 6 cores , but also the quad channel helped.
    Key word here is * Think *. I don't have the numbers to back it up, but it sounds logical that the extra memory channels help the DDR3 a bit closer to DDR4 dual channel bandwidth.
    My mate was laughing with my setup when he bought the 4770k with dual channel DDR3 16Gb. 3 years later he wanted to upgrade because it didn't feel snappy any more.
    I didn't have that problem.

I'm hoping to do the same thing with AM5. To future proof it as far as I can.
    Blow a load of money every 5-8 years feels better than upgrade slightly every 1-2 years.
    Last upgrade I went from a C2D e8400 w 4Gb ddr2 and spinning drives to this. Night and day.
    I'm hoping for the same feeling, even though it's not the smartest thing to do.

Ps:
    Myeah, I should benchmark and see what kind of modern-ish equivalent I can reach.

Venix likes this.
  9. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    @Chess i am almost certain your cpu can do 80 -100 fps at the very least on everything you throw at it or way more , i believe that's cause of the 6 cores 12 threads! Now That's some awesome longevity you got there ! If i where you i migh even waited for 2-3 more years for ryzen 5xxx 6xxx or core 11xxx or 12xxx series or what ever is their naming :p