Samsung 980 SSD Spotted at retailers, has a DRAMless design

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 5, 2021.

1. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    To add confusion :
    -M2 can be SATA or NVMe
    -2,5 and 3,5 can be SATA or U2
    -PCIe card can be SATA or NVMe or U2
    But yes compared to HDD they are really expensive, but do most people really need PCIe 4.0 for everyday use?
    I don't think so then they could get NVMe PCIe 3.0 SSD that are really faster than SATA and cost nearly the same and wait that the NVMe PCIe 4.0 get better price.

2. Cybermarc

Cybermarc Member

GPU:
    STRIX ASUS 980ti
    Samsung quality is no longer good, I had 2x dead 960 evo 512GB... and 1 x 970 512GB evo.
    They have a Excellent marketing, but it is no longer worth buying Samsung.

WD, Seagate, Corsair SSD are more reliable. I still have 1 of the 1st Corsair Force GT SSD and it is still running like new

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Nand defects happen and have nothing to do with brand quality.

4. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    What do you do to them??? as Someone thats got the 512GB 960, 1TB 970EVO (both in laptop) and a 1TB 980Pro and have 8x other 2TB SSD's from various manufactures in my desktop i have never had any of them die yet.

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    For how long have you had them? That statement means nothing if you only had them for like 5 years or so.

6. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    God knows since they came out, so years. Besides after 5 years the advancement of technology you can get drives far cheaper and higher capacity. Wear and tear is really only a problem in data centers where they are under heavy writes all the time. A friend still uses my old 128GB Kingston V100 drive and that doesn't support Trim or Garbage collection and thats still working and thats going on 10 years now, but i guess that depends on how you abuse your stuff and since the guy above had had a 2x 860's and a 970 Evo and they all died tells me he abuses the crap out of them maybe as a photo shop/video maker scratch drive or something.

7. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    What about Crucial ? I had Crucial M4 250gb , gave it to my friend , still working. I think it has like 9 years or something :D