Samsung 980 Pro PCIe Gen 4.0 M.2 SSD has been launched, rated at 7000 MB/sec reads

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    If this is TLC, why are there no 2 and 4 TB drives from the start?

With TLC getting the 'Pro' moniker is seems Samsung is hell-bent on not letting the drives get affordable anytime soon. :p

Edit: The best part of this information is the inclusion of QD1 IOPS numbers, the only actually relevant performance metric.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    schmidtbag and RavenMaster like this.
  3. fellix

fellix Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    So this is essentially 970 EVO with PCIE 4.0 controller?

4. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    wish my 970 evo would have speeds like that.

5. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    I have two 2TB Intel 760p NVMe SSD's in bootable RAID 0 (VROC) and i would gladly sell them both for one Samsung 980 Pro/EVO 4TB PCI-E 4.0 NVMe SSD.

6. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    According to the where to buy button they are only available in Singapore atm.

7. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Glorious speed... but not sure if worth the massive premium, the case where the extra speed is actually felt vs common NVMe 3.0 drive is probably hair thin.

8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I would like to get one, when they become available, but I imagine Samsung will make them expensive.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    That is noticeable faster than 970 pro.

10. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Samsung 980pro better be faster than Adata sx8200pro 1TB in 4k random read @QD =1.

High sequential speed has limited value for most people, but it looks cool in benchmarks :D

Here is 2x Adata sx8200pro in raid-0, for comparing to the new 980pro when it arrives the testbench :)

2x sx8200pro r0 disable spectre meltdown new bios 4500mhz.PNG

DannyD likes this.

11. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    TLC is an odd choice? Very unlikely to affect average consumer but MLC would better fit the "PRO" pricing.

7GB/s speeds are nice, but is there anything that can make use of this yet? Had a little look around and most programs/windows all bottle out around top SSD speeds, sometimes M.2 (PCIE3 version) might shave off half a second or a second tops, so don't see an M.2 with double the speed making a difference, as its clearly getting bottlenecked else where.

Actually whilst writing this i found one game that seems to make use to M.2 speeds, battlefield 5 - 970 evo got 1:09 loading and SSD 860 evo 1:20... So I guess some games can shave off a bit of time? for the average consumer but there has to be some bottlenecks going on to not let even gen 3 m.2's preform as they should be

12. Nero1024

Nero1024 Member

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2080Ti
    But 970 Pro is 2 bit per cell and have twice as big lifespan. This is downgrade

13. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    1TB these days is too small. I'm in the market for a Gen4 m.2 but i want at least 2TB drive. (£400)

Like someone already mentioned these should come in 4TB versions by now. I'd pay £700 for a 4TB m.2 as long as it's PCI-e 4.0. and has good cache.

My new system is gonna be bad arse. I want a once in a life time PC build as i came into some inheritence recently. Just waiting on AMD 4000 series CPUs and nVidia 3000 series on 570X.

14. xafier

xafier Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 290
    My guess is this will be one of the drives that are on the PS5 supported list when it's released as it seems to hit about the right speeds for read and write.

15. fellix

fellix Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    The apps and Windows itself are still treating the SSDs as mechanical devices. For that reason (and backwards compatibility) the NAND controllers and the firmware that runs them are so much complicated, just to be able to drive all the abstraction layers and still maintain high performance.
    On top of that, most of the asset loading -- by the apps or the OS services, is still single-threaded, bottle-necking the SSD performance advantages, like explicitly parallel IO and full-duplex read/write op's (in the case of NVMe).
    Hopefully, the next gen consoles will drive some progress in the wider software market and optimize the storage stacks for direct NAND workloads.

DeskStar likes this.

16. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thank you for the information. I do wonder if next gen will or not. Next generation will get benefits as they know everyone is using X device, but with so many options and choices and many still on HDD or the slower sata SSD's i do wonder if PC will get the same push. Can only hope this will be the case.

Then again many developers are not making good use of compression or not duplicating files for PC games, COD-MW is a great example of terrible compression (I say terrible non-exist more like) and texture file overlap

17. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I might be interested in 1Tb version but i wonder how much is going to cost...

DeskStar likes this.
  18. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    If you want "bad ass" system, then wait for Intel Optane pci-e 4.0, or buy Optane 905p ;)

19. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Damn, those things are expensive. Feels like one of those things you only buy if you need them for work and thus will get the money back (not to mention it would allow a tax deduction). Or if you are an oil sheik, I guess.

DeskStar likes this.
  20. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    Curious to see how the perf is vs my 970 Pro on PCIE 3.0