Samsung 970 Evo versus Sabrent Rocket 4.0

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by bbsmitz, Nov 16, 2020.

1. bbsmitz

bbsmitz Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
    Hey y'all,

I'm putting together a new build, and currently finalizing my design. I had settled on the Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 for my SSDs, but I'm seeing the SAMSUNG 970 EVO for like 70 bucks cheaper. Can anyone shed light on why two products that from what I've seen seem to have similar performance have such different price points?

Cheers,

-bbsmitz

2. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    The 970 Evo is Gen3, the Sabrent is Gen4. The difference should not be that visible in anything other than benchmarks and sequential reads/writes, like huge files copied etc., but I don't see many reasons other than price to use a gen 3 drive for a modern Ryzen build.
    You can buy the 980 Pro from Samsung if you want a Gen4 drive from them, but it's still TLC based and probably costs more.
    I'd personally get the Sabrent drive and some QLC cheaper large drive for storage/games. I see you also have HDDs, so you will have plenty of room.

3. bbsmitz

bbsmitz Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
    Thank you very much.

4. bbsmitz

bbsmitz Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
    One additional question if anyone knows. So my understanding is that the Ryzen 5000 has a total of 24 PCIe 4.0 lanes. Of those, 4 are used to connect to the motherboard, leaving 20 for peripherals. 16 of those 20 would go to the GPU, meaning there are 4 left for the NVME SSDs. However, each NVME SSD requires 4 lanes, so can I get 2 as I plan to?

5. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    Yes, the 2nd will go through the chipset and thus the x4 link, performance wont really be affect all that much, you may get some overhead if using multiple other devices connected to the chipset but it wont affect anything much.

6. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    Gen 4 is still pointless today.

Very few softwares are able to take advantage of the extra speed, and it's usually professional stuff like Premiere (video editing).
    For everything else, there will be literally no difference whatsoever between Gen 3 and Gen 4 drives.

Save your money and buy the cheaper stuff.

Maybe in 2022+ the situation will be different, but by that time you'll want a bigger drive anyway.

7. GarrettL

GarrettL Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2070S
    I have a 4.0 Sabrent and a 3.0 Inland. You can’t tell the difference in general use or gaming.