Samsung 970 250gb Evo polaris (M2) question

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by mitzi76, Nov 20, 2018.

1. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Hi,

I have a p6t deluxe and believe it has a pci e x4 slot so is this ssd compatible and is it faster than say the normal ssd...?

A bit out of the loop re ssds. The bit that was confusing me is says online that its m2 pci-e 3.0 x4. (the 3.0 bit).

Currently trying to play warhammer 2 on an old sata which is impossible pretty much.

p.s I have done some searching and just want a confirmation that its ok. I believe so.

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yes it will work, but in your case 2.0 speeds. Still faster then normal ssd though.

If its nvme you might have to flash bios to support nvme.
    Ps welcome back, long time no see :)

3. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Have been messing about with Arachnids n YouTube amongst other things!

(just checked bios list on asus website and seems am running the latest...only two listed and i did flash years back).

Reading about some people said wouldn't work but most said as you did would work but with only reading 2.0?

Now my question is. Is this worth it over a normal ssd still? I do some video editing (currently got power director on a normal ssd).((could get away with 250gb in size..am tempted just to squeeze steam onto my existing boot drive n test which is 120gb but yeah size is an issue..currently got loading time iasues n hot gpu esp with Warhammer n steel division))

I guess I can flash the bios..maybe need to head over to Asus forums or dig about a bit more.

P.s people talk about an adapter but I think they are referring to if u want to boot from the m2 drive. (I just need faster storage).

My pc needs an upgrade or two! But gonna go ssd first then gpu maybe after have redone paste n cleaned up.

FINAL EDIT :)

Just found that webpage and was going to post it but then realised it was the one you linked above. So am prepared to give it a go but then the part about about trying to get support/flashing is a bit of a worry.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    It's easy, you open that special app to read bios, edit that bios and save.

I was worried too at first, looked a bit confusing., but it was quick and no issues. Just follow the steps, save bios and done.

After that you can apply/flash that new bios to your mobo.

5. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Ordered maybe will get lucky and dont have to fiddle! Got gpu to take apart as well...still shouldnt be getting near 90c with an msi 970 gaming in Uk winter....:)

Cheers.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the p6t deluxe is x58 era and has no uefi.