Samsung 870 EVO 2,5"-ssd pops online holding 4TB

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Wonder if this utilizes the QLC layer instead of TLC allowing for higher capacity but then the actual life time should be changed so if that value remains identical maybe not.
    Seems the best method for getting a higher capacity without totally ballooning out the cost for what dual layer or even triple layer would cost once you pass the TB storage capacity.

Hard to say though, Samsung and their V-Nand and what it actually corresponds to as well ha ha, well it's not too important for storage capacity but the durability is somewhat affected and I believe it also alters the speed somewhat but the larger capacity drives seem to be faster whether that's the cells or the additional cache I'm not entirely sure as to how this works. (Bit of both perhaps.)

Affordable 3 - 4 TB SSD's for replacing the storage HDD's would certainly be nice too, still plenty fast and with other advantages over the mechanical drives just that the price tag makes it less practical at the moment. :D
    (Even with SATA3 sustained 400 - 500 MB/s speeds are a step up from 50 - 100 after all and it doesn't use up additional M.2 or PCI-E slots which can hold the main drive.)

EDIT: OS actually being good at moving multiple smaller files over few much larger files would be a plus at some point too but it is what it is, other software tend to manage it better too for whatever reason.
    (It's still generally some version NTFS with GPT after all.)

3. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I need to find a large (2TB+), cheap SSD for my son's rig. He already has a 1TB nvme but it would be nice to replace his mechanical 2TB with something faster. It doesn't need to be light speed, even something as meager as 350-400mb/sec would be worth buying if the price was right.

The price hike from a fast, large mechanical HDD to the cheapest, large SSD is no small gap, it's the grand canyon.

4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Pick (like me) 2TB Samsung Evo 860 and don't look back :p

5. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Yep QLC, and it exist in 8gb too

tunejunky and JonasBeckman like this.
  6. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    it may be the Grand Canyon, but oh my the views.
    seriously though the performance differential is greater than the price differential.
    but more importantly you don't have to worry about frag/defrag or the fragile physical nature of many tiny platters spinning at 5600-7000rpm.

7. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    On Samsung's website, there's a 870 QVO with QLC already. I don't get the reasoning behind releasing another drive on the same interface with the same capacities, and same NAND type, but label it EVO instead of QVO. Makes no sense to me.