1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung 860 QVO SSDs 1TB, 2TB and 4TB Spotted At Really Low Prices

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 21, 2018.

1. slyphnier

slyphnier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    depends on how you take those test result i guess
    i would rather think it as estimation/average lifespan for the SSD... especially the NAND limit
    so i can have better image/expectation from the SSD, rather than total blind and only know based the SSD specs which some market it with overly-hype endurance rate specs than it should
    like MTBF bs... SSD is like 2million MTBF or 228years ...yea it will be in museum

airbud7 likes this.
  2. Ridiric

Ridiric Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti@2068mhz
    Well the thing is, if its a sample size of one, its not really giving you any real idea of the endurance of the drives or their lifespan, it could go both ways too, you could end up thinking a drive is way better than it is or way worse than it is, they could have gotten a dud and the results look really bad because of it, or they could have gotten lucky with a drive that lasts way longer than average which could lead you to purchase something that ends up lasting way less time for you.

The results are interesting, and with brands that they have done multiple different tests on new models as they come out its a little more reliable but only a bit, as things change between generations and just cause the last 3 generations did well and the 4th generation one they tested also did well doesn't mean that 4th gen one wasn't a fluke and there was a quality reduction in that generation that ends up making the one you buy last way less than expected.

If you look at their site, and then find 3 or 4 other sites that do just as in depth reviews and long term testing on SSD's then you can start having valid testing results to get an informed decision from, but a sample size of one is always dicey to base expectations off, and its why in anything that matters sample sizes of hundreds or thousands are normally used.

airbud7 likes this.
  3. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    I can’t tell right now how long will it hold.
    But 2tb shut be able to hold few years for sure :D

4. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    The higher TB drives last a Lot longer write wise than smaller 250GB ones. It will probably be in a museum before you reach it's write limit in normal use ~_^

The 2TB one claims to take 500TB of writes, even half that at 40GB writes per day would take about 17 years. Sounds Pretty Safe to me.

5. Alex13

Alex13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Everyone interested should do some research on MLC/TLC/QLC.
    There's a reason this is cheaper and it has to do with the QLC technology being slower, with a smaller lifespan and the only benefit being 1 extra bit per cell (4 vs 3 on the TLC evo, and 2 on the MLC based pro). Cant say i know how samsungs implementation will work, but other QLC drives so far have shown the peformance mostly is good while the cache is doing all the work (aka quick bursts of data transfers are good but with large files/workloads performance tanks at sub HDD levels after a while). Also especially with QLC you should absolutely not get anywhere near close to maxing out the capacity.

6. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    I will probably put The 2TB in new laptop when i get some.

7. fry178

fry178 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 X@2GHz
    @Alex13
    the SP drive i got (256gb, not sure what TLC chip) has dram and slc and is the worst drive performance wise since drives went tlc.
    initial drop after about the 1st gb transferred, then another drop after additional 2-3gb down to 50-80MB/s.
    a different SP drive (60gb MLC) thats 3y old performs better (never secure erased), as well as the 6y old vector (128gb mlc) with 75% life left (40TB written to nand).

not saying this is true for the samsung (expect it to be a bit better),
    but im gonna stay with mlc drives for my "main" ones (safety)

still a good ssd for large storage (music/movies) or as work drive (video edit)
    and get rid of slower/noisy hdds...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I think eventually we might see some segmentation in the SSD space where we have larger capacities with less write endurance but are far cheaper for just storing the GB of game date that just needs several GB of burst read access. OS and program drives can be smaller but much faster and higher endurance drives. I don't think the needs have changed that much. Just the amount of data being shuffled around. How many thousands of diskettes would it take to load say...BF V?

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    My Vertex 4 128GB (system) reported in smart something like 90% remaining life. That's pretty old drive with relatively small capacity. But it is not QLC, not TLC, but MLC. If it was QLC, remaining life value would be much worse. But then again, there should better not be 128GB QLC drives.

10. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    Here the Russian list - look what to avoid. Impressive top: Btw, ordered the cheapest 2 TB, here it was Crucial MX500 for 360€ - not so cheap but my 840Pro 250 GB did cost the same 5 years ago.
    [​IMG]

11. Laci

Laci Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti AUROS
    A friend of mine and me bought the first generation of the Kingston HyperX SSD (the blue ones) when they came out, I sold mine 2 years later but my friend's is still rock solid after almost 7 years. The only problem is its capacity - 120 GB :)