1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Samsung releases its 860 EVO series SATA 6 Gb/s SSDs. Available from 250 GB up-to 4 Terabytes, this new revision is fabbed with 64-cell layer V-NAND and their new MJX controller. Armed with truckloads...

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD review

2. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    So 850 EVO v3 with a new controller.

3. Khronikos

Khronikos Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 1070
    Right. They clearly hit a wall here. Not much else to say but a minor update to the 850 EVO, which is nice. I will be getting the 2TB version of this or probably Crucial's offering for my main PC. Already have a 850 Pro in my PS4.

But yeah performance and stuff is pretty much all the same for the top brands.

4. Pawel04

Pawel04 Active Member

GPU:
    HD 7950/3GB
    Considering how close in performance this is to the Crucial MX500 1tb and that the 960 Evo 1tb is 100€ more expensive i think ill be going for the former.

5. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Not close at all. 900 series are NVMe. MX500 is a contender to 800 SATA series.

6. wavetrex

wavetrex Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    Great hard-disk replacement for smaller laptops which support single 2.5" drive (1 or 2TB version)
    NVMe drives are nice and everything, but they are still very pricey for the size, and games are HUGE these days, meaning I'd have to use the 2nd drive in a laptop, which is usually a crappy HDD, killing all my loading times.

Glad to see 4TB is finally reaching mainstream, a bit expensive but eh, it will come down, slowly but surely.

7. Pawel04

Pawel04 Active Member

GPU:
    HD 7950/3GB
    Hahah oops my bad, edit '860'. Fat fingers.. :)

8. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Member Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    About the wall, I wonder if there ever will be a new SATA III controller that addresses the end of the SSD curve that is still not amazing (small random reads/writes and heavily mixed reads and writes).

Optane technology addresses this pretty well but clearly we wont be seeing SATA III Optane drives.

9. Venix

Venix Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    The first company that can provide me with a 2tb 150 euro drive will have my money and my hhd's will have only back up and very bulky data storage use, some huge games still getting installed to my hdd's

10. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    That might happen in 5 years

11. Clawedge

Clawedge Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD
    "a 500 GB Series 860 is now guaranteed at 300 TBW"

300,000 GB/ 500GB = 600

600 PE cycles? should it not be 6000 or something like that?

12. Venix

Venix Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    Yep,maybe higher but i think when it does we will mostly say good bye to our hdd's

till then a 250 ~500 gb ssd for operating system and programs will do for me ... i still have my intel 330 120 gb and have 2 games in it ... normally the ones i really play and the rest is hdd's

13. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    But then, there is another problem. Samsungs are available worldwide in large quantities. Crucials/Microns are cheaper, but have very limited availability and only in few countries. It's almost impossible to find them in retail.

14. Pawel04

Pawel04 Active Member

GPU:
    HD 7950/3GB
    Fair enough, luckily in Austria we dont have that problem :)