1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung 2232BW review

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Rodman, Oct 8, 2007.

1. xD.FaTaL

xD.FaTaL Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GeForce GTX 280
    anyone know wtf neither of these monitors are on newegg?
    2232 BW or 2232 GW

its not like they're brand spankin new.

2. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570 SLI
    I wondered the same thing....I ended up getting my GW at Circuit City...Best Buy did not carry it either.

The monitor is great, if you like a glossy screen.

3. Rodman

Rodman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX285 SLI@756-1580-2750
    Depends on the game really. Crysis@ native rez....Not happening, so I went with 1280x768. Very important to get a monitor that scales well from rez to rez when gaming is a main factor. This monitor scales and looks great at any rez and the response time is unchanged. I even played Crysis@1024x768 and it looked good. COD4 with everything maxed was a bit much @ the native rez. Not all the time, but from time to time things slowed down, plus the fact that @ 1680x1050 things looked too damb sharp and gave the game a artificial look. I ended up liking 1440x900 with graphics option at the max. Then there is FEAR, which I think looks best @ 1680x1050. Having the rez flexibility in a monitor is nice to have.

I know nothing of the Dell and looks aside, probably is a damb good panel. Dell makes some of the best monitors out there. If this one is anything like the rest of their line and stands up to the 2ms specs, it should be a good buy. Not knowing anything about the Dell (no reviews) or having tested one myself I would get the 2232BW as it is sure to please any gamer out ther.

However there is a chance it is indeed better than the 2232BW as the only other monitor better for gaming at 22in is the Iiyama ProLite E2201W. It uses a samsung 'S' panel (the 'S' panel from the 226BW panel that is 1ms faster than the 2232BW 'S' panel), yet beats out everything to date with zero mouse lag. However the E2201W is not available in the U.S, even if it was they could not keep up with demand just as Samsung couldn't, thats why the 226BW and 2232BW have more than one manufacturer making the panels.

4. desertjedi

desertjedi Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260
    Here are some great links for LCD reviews and discussion of what all the various LCD metrics mean:

http://www.behardware.com/articles/689-3/22-inch-lcd-monitors-the-3rd-wave.html

http://www.digitalversus.com/article-358.html

LCD Metric Comparison Tool

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=36&mo1=224&p1=2104&ma2=36&mo2=284&p2=2683&ph=12

Yesterday, I picked up a Samsung 2232BW at Best Buy, the only place I could find one, offline or on. I checked and I have a 'C' panel. :bang: The LCD's display looks awesome but I've yet to do any photo editing with it.

I've got a Spyder 2 Colorimeter on the way so I may find out just how wack the colors are in this panel. It will definitely be interesting to see.

I passed on a 226BW - it seems that getting a 'C' panel on that LCD has more dire consequences from what I've read. I also passed on the two Viewsonic LCDs that get 5 stars in the digitalversus review above. Everyone says that Viewsonic support is so bad you can't even make contact with them!

The reason that Rodman is undoubtedly excited about his new 2232BW is that it is touted as possibly being the best 22" LCD in the $300ish range, possibly even better than the prior "king" of this category, the 226BW.

5. rockfella

rockfella New Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GT 512 MB @ 600
    I agree with you, the 2232 is better but one should look into the Dell SP2208WFP, Has HDMI, 2 MS response time and everything that samsung has, Dell after sales service is unbeatable!

6. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    It all depends what panel you get, there is no way of telling until you actually check.

The 2232BW can have a CMO, Samsung, AU Optronics, or CPT panel, and the Dell SP2208WFP can have a Samsung or AU Optronics panel.

To think that all monitors of the same model are created the same would be completely wrong, each different panel has its own characteristics and it would be inaccurate to make a blanket statement saying that X monitor is better than Y monitor when in actual fact the chances are the two monitors use the exact same panel, and picture quality is pretty much the same.

Incidentally, 2232BW owners can check their panel origin from the aforementioned hidden menu. The middle letter is representative of panel origin:

xxxCAA-1002 = Samsung
    xxxCDA-1002 = CMO
    xxxCLA-1002 = AU Optronics
    xxxCIA-1002 = CPT

The CMO panel is said to have a blue tint that cannot be calibrated out, while the Samsung panel provides the best colour reproduction. Most recent Dell monitors use Samsung panels, and I would much rather have a Dell, firstly for the support, secondly for the build quality, but mostly because a friend of mine is asst. Global Product Manager for Samsung Europe, and he constantly sends me fanboyish emails about how bloody marvellous their new products are :bash:

7. rockfella

rockfella New Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GT 512 MB @ 600
    DVI Port

Most important Dell SP2208WFP has HDMI, One can buy a DVI to HDMI Cable and connect using HDMI. DVI port is on all video cards now, It is not a true conversion of picture and obviously not sound from DVI (DVI has no sound) to HDMI but definitely a way of watching movies and perphaps playing games VIA HDMI.
    Thatswhy i like the DELL SP2208WFP, Dell after sales is rocksolid! You guys have to believe me, one of my friends bought a dell LCD, he was not happy with it, initially he thought that his set was faulty so Dell replaced his LCD 7 times finally he bought a different model!!!! Another friend had a minor problem with the Dell 24 incher, Dell gave him another one didnot take the previous one back!
    PS: I am not trying to promote Dell LCDs but this is something i wanted to share with all. am sorry i dont have URLS etc to prove this but i know it for a fact!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  8. desertjedi

desertjedi Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260
    Looks like you're right on Morbias. I finally got around to playing with the 2232BW's settings last night and the blue dominance is absolutely horrible. I have a "CMO" panel.

Doing a "color reset" helped but it's still far too pronounced. MagicTune (or whatever) also helped but its still real bad. I'm not even going to try and calibrate it out. I'm returning the LCD back to Best Buy. If I pursue another LCD, it will probably be a Viewsonic VX2240w.

I'm not sure I even will though - I just wasn't a big fan of the widescreen 16:10 ratio. It was a pleasure to re-hookup my 19" LCD and see colors that don't look like they've been barfed on by a smurf!

9. Profeta

Profeta New Member

I just bought this monitor. On the native resolution I can only set it to 60Hz. Is there a way to set it to 75Hz? And the resolution below 1680x1050 is 1280x1024. Is this normal?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  10. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    Some LCDs will go 75Hz at lower resolutions...mostly 60Hz.

11. Rodman

Rodman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX285 SLI@756-1580-2750
    LCDs can only run @60hz, if they go higher it's not actually refreshing at that speed, more 'movie magic' if you will.

You should be able to select many rez options. What card are you using to drive the monitor? Using the latest driver for the monitor?

12. Profeta

Profeta New Member

I've a XFX 8800 GTS XXX 320Mb, with the lastest Nvidia drivers. Should I try omega drivers? :\

13. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    My LCD will do 75Hz at 1440X900.

14. PETEY

PETEY Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS
    Why does Samsung keep releasing new 22" monitors? I have a Samsung SyncMaster 225BW and it's great. The only issues is the flimsy stand and backlight bleeding in the dark, which neither I care about.

15. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    Come the summer, I'm thinking I'll move up to a 24". I want glossy and good performance in Photos (Photoshop), Videos and Games. My current Acer AL2216W is a great monitor (couldn't care less about the lack of bells and whistles). I play UT III and NFS Carbon, mainly and the gameplay is amazing! I'm thinking of the 'P' series for my next one. ;) Its just amazing how much more screen realestate there is on an UXGA!:banana:

16. Erudite.Brain

Erudite.Brain New Member

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 7300 GT (512 MB)
    which one is better... 2232BW or 2232GW ??
    what is the difference? appreciate your answers
    Thanks

17. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570 SLI
    I own the GW .

It is a glossy screen, where the BW is a matte finish on the screen...

I really ...really...love the glossy finish on the screen.

[​IMG]

I really love this monitor....gaming is just great on it.

18. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    I've got my 24" Acer 'glossy' now and it exceeds my expectations! :bigsmile:

19. mit78

mit78 Member

GPU:
    evga gtx 285
    hi

how enter in hidden menu?

20. warrant

warrant Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX SLi
    Unbelievable, just the one monitor I was looking at, really, just today. Priced -40%, so going to buy it! :D