Samsung’s ISOCELL Bright HM1 is 108Mpixels image sensor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 13, 2020.

1. slyphnier

slyphnier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    yet u failed even to provide simple photo comparison
    saying the one i provide explain what u saying? while those picture clearly showing latest phone giving much better detail, less grainy - overall better look picture

for comment, obvious people have different opinion... like u
    but every latest phone, i think most people agree, picture quality get better in our eyes, not opposite like u saying
    either from those reviewers as well user/owner (just go to any forums ... do i need to prove it too)

Now even say those reviewers is biased, even probably get paid from the smartphone company
    so users also get biased with their own device ?
    most people agree, the smartphone camera picture quality is keep getting better, so why u seeing opposite things ?
    what even sad is u also cant really prove it

2. slyphnier

slyphnier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    little addition the smartphone mp race is just started with huawei 30pro with its 40mp
    https://www.dxomark.com/huawei-p30-pro-camera-review/
    now why we getting moarz mp, simply because huawei was successful giving better image quality last year with p30... that what make the trend now

if high-mp is fake like u been saying..
    then how come people can showing good picture with the camera? like this :

i agree number means nothing if there no real improvement
    so i see the result, and those result do show some improvement, thus like i said, why not ?

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Why do I need to when you already did? I'm satisfied with the source you provided. How often do you find yourself in an argument with someone and they approve of your source?
    Yes, it's less grainy because the image processing made it smudgy to the point of looking like a painting. I'm not the only one sharing this opinion.
    Yes, which is why I have already stated that if you like this overkill sensor, go ahead and buy a phone with it. I don't care. But it is objectively making unnecessary sacrifices, and the results are visible.
    For the most part, yes, quality has steadily been improving in one way or another. There are a few phone camera sensors here and there that made too many sacrifices, and this one by Samsung took it too far.
    I don't know what exactly it is you want me to provide proof of. Again - you have already shown the proof yourself, what do you need me for?

4. slyphnier

slyphnier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    u mean the comment people saying the water-painting ? while DxOmark give it highest score sofar and that "post-processing(software)" also can be improved, whats better is that for mi 10 pro it will have much cheaper phone than s20-ultra for around $700... so the value is there imo
    why u make claim like the sensor do the water-painting effect?

those in-bold well u saying urself...
    u saying sacrifices from new-phonecamera-sensors many times, but really what that "many" sacrifices to u ? i read back ur post, but cannot get those what u mean

if all about "water-painting" effect things, first i personally believe it can get improved as its more post-processing than raw (and we still have yet to see the RAW image-quality.)
    talking about it, camera apps also can make different level, like people been always praised with gcam (example : https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/9lwff2/sequel_gcam_vs_samsung_camera_app_on_the_note_9_a/)

second now if u compare to "real" old 8mp smartphone, obviously the whole-image-quality is so different, and to most people eye, latest phone looks better quality, even we seeing like water-painting effect, but i still think most will prefer that one over grainy-old-8mp pictures
    now to u, do iphone7plus picture better over xiaomi m10pro ? if yes, then u prefer grainy picture with less detail compared to more detailed-picture with water-painting-effect

some might say its not as good (that 108mp pixel-bining, 100x zoom hype), such that is normal from person-to-person
    as for my personal opinion, i havent hands-on/ try the phone myself, but looking at the those picture, from what i see, such "image-detail" and "low-light quality" ... those things improved compared to last year phones... so that the improvement to me
    i agree its far from perfect, but looking how things improve, i think its not bad/wrong way

but for u, from what u saying, its like they did wrong, its bs level and few-years-old phone can make same quality .... which then i dont think u right, so i am asking u for image-comparisson, as we are talking about image-quality, so some image-comparisson will explain whole better than just words, right?
    yet to this point, all u did only pointing and blaming on water-effect only, while ignoring those improvements

well in tech(or rather everything in this world), u as person like it or not, cannot dictate how things goes, no matter how u complain... until majority of people saying same things, then it might change
    afterall it always been trial&error for getting better things

if this 108mp pixel-binning success in people eyes, we probably are going with mp-wars to bs-level till people tired of it (though i think 108mp will be stay for a while)

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Gee look who is writing the wall of text now...
    $700 for a phone is not what I'd call value, but rather, a ripoff. But, opinions aren't why we're here.
    I didn't claim the sensor does the water-painting effect. I'm saying the post processing is doing that, and it's doing that because without it, the image will look very grainy with poor contrast.
    I can't understand what you're asking here...
    There is only so much you can do to improve graininess. Again, these images are tiny, and this time with very lossy compression. What's the point of having 108MP if you're doing to downscale below 10% and still see visual issues?
    I'm going to need a source on that "most people" claim.
    The 7+ has a 12MP camera so, I'm not sure what you're rambling on about there.
    The low light quality is admittedly better than I expected, but it could've been so much better if they used 1/3 the pixel density with the same sensor area. The technology of the sensor's sensitivity has improved; that's why it's able to take better dark images. But that technology would've been so much better in a lower-density sensor, where there doesn't need to be so much image processing, because the image would inherently be less grainy.
    They didn't necessarily do wrong, because such a sensor can be of practical use. But in the context of a phone, it's not an upgrade.
    I will gladly make a comparison when we've got something beyond highly-compressed 8MP images to compare to. However, if we are limited to such things, the iPhone 11 Pro Max (which actually, I didn't even know existed until right now; I have no interest in iPhones) seems to be not really any better or worse, despite having a much smaller sensor:
    https://www.dxomark.com/apple-iphone-11-pro-max-camera-review/
    So, what's the point of adding all that extra processing power and cost for a bigger sensor that yields pretty much the same results?
    In this case, there is an actual science of how to make a better sensor, but nobody cares, they (and in turn, marketing) just want the bigger number.
    I agree.