Samdung at it Again

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Neo Cyrus, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    So having a Samdung device I've come to accept the fact that I have to deal with ridiculous amounts of bloatware. After gaining root to uninstall it all, it all remains in the Samdung store as "updates" (meaning I can never just click update all anymore without getting the bloat all back). That and it has constant push notifications telling you to install the bloat back. Luckily for me the only Samdung app I use is S-Health so I just disabled the store notifications and manually update S-Health myself.

Now here is where it becomes incredibly annoying. Samdung have extended this nasty douchery of theirs to the Google Play Store. In the past it was minor and I could bring myself to ignore it and just install the bloat since they claimed to help services in the background (doubtful) and was generally unobtrusive.

As of today for S5 users (and prior to that for other device users) it's trying to force this garbage as an "update" (it's not installed): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobeam.barcodeService

I don't give a flying **** how tiny it is (10MB for the main app and 100KB for this crap). I don't give a crap how useful some people might find it. I have ZERO use for it and it PUSHES ADVERTISEMENTS! They have some nerve forcing an installation of something that's useless to many that also pushes ads. As of this point it has over 10 million installations, think of the ad revenue they've made from it just so far.

Now I can no longer click "updated all" because it will include this advertisement machine of theirs. Is there anything I can do to deal with this short of installing it (which I want to avoid at all costs) then disabling it?

Edit: Reviews are saying it can't even be disabled properly. Go figure. This is my last Samdung device.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  2. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    If it's still trying to put them on from google play then you didn't remove them properly.

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    It's just the one now and there is nothing to remove, it's not installed in any way shape or form. It just detects my device is an S5 and leaves it there as an "update" like the Samdung store does with its own apps.

Edit: I found out its linked to the generic beam service. So you have to disable basic functionality to avoid bloatware now? Great. Last I checked the program that needs to be uninstalled with root access is what NFC uses.

So I was right, it was never installed in any form, but it's linked as an update for a generic service which it's not actually related to. I'm going to look into it to confirm, hopefully getting rid of it doesn't disable NFC.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  4. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    There are other terms you know. There is Shamesung, Samesung, Sucksung & $hitsung...

As for the bloatware. I feel your pain and know how irritating it can be, even that one piece of $hit bloatware winking me in the face!

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Glad I didn't buy into the Samsung hype.

6. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Samsung. What is it? A Taiwanese Gay Club name ?

7. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    Samsung is what I call "quantity over quality" on the most literal form, what I don't understand is why you get update alerts from apps you don't even have installed, carrier bloat is very annoying, I couldn't even imagine what it would feel like to have the device manufacturer itself ****ting over my phone

8. Clawedge

Clawedge Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    HA!!!! found samdung just wicked funny!!!!

anyway, have you considered a custom rom?

i have one more for you, Samsuck!!!

9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    I made a backup then uninstalled the beam service which gets rid of this pseudo update from the app store. Too bad the millions who don't have root access can't do that.

I tried to use NFC and I'm not sure if it's not working because of my S5 now or if it's something wrong with the other phone (a Galaxy Nexus). The Nexus is asking to log into a Google account every time I attempt to use NFC, no idea why, and the owner doesn't know the password, of course. I have no access to any other NFC device at the moment and don't feel like making a new Google account to test it.

But at a glance it seems NFC will work, I guess it doesn't need that root program after all... unless I'm horribly wrong. I'll update this later when I find out for sure.

Flash counters, Knox, denial of warranty on the basis of nothing, and now an attempt at forced advertisements for those who bought phones as expensive as $800. Yeahhhh... I'm going to stick with Google Nexus devices from now on.
    I'm waiting for Cyanogenmod, and even then it might lose too many features so I might have to stick with the stock ROM until something better comes along.

Wouldn't any custom ROM include that basic root program anyway? So regardless of the ROM Samdung users would end up getting that "update" in the app store.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  10. Clawedge

Clawedge Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    i get waht you mean. those little features that make the phone better to use are usually not implemented in custom roms.

see if you can find a 'lot' or 'debloated' rom (it might be tough, but you never know)

or what about using a firewall and blocking specific apps? i have done that and it works nicely

11. Lamprey

Lamprey Member

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    How did you do this exactly? I have the same problem as you on my note 3.

12. Clawedge

Clawedge Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 570
  13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    You can find everything you need on the XDA forums as previously linked, but that link doesn't seem to load because of the www in front of it.

A Google search will probably get you to the link you need faster than trying to navigate through the site.

Keep in mind though that rooting it voids your warranty and I don't know if there is a method to reset everything on the Note 3 to stock (flash counter, Knox). I know it's currently not possible with the S5.

Edit: I forgot to mention, to manage apps and backups I use Titanium Backup. You can use anything but that program is pretty complete and simple to use. I think the free version allows 1 backup of every program.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  14. Lamprey

Lamprey Member

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    Tyvm. Im not worried bout knox, tripped it after a month owning the phone. It was by choice, more liberating not having to worry bout it

15. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Towel root will root without triggering knox anyway.

I don't recommend backing up and uninstalling etc, just a pain and unnecessary.

I use App Quarantine that will freeze/disable an app without removing it, so can just untick if you need it restoring if you do something you shouldn't do, batch do them all at once as well, instead of tediously doing loads of steps for every app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ramdroid.appquarantine&hl=en

16. EvilM

EvilM Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 280
    i have Galaxy s3, and yes, almost every phone come's with bloatware but there is solution. put a custom rom on it and bam you are fine :)

atm running cyanogen4.4.2 on s3 :D feals GREAT

17. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Yeah everyone says that, and it's all well and good if you don't want to use loads of the features of the phone you bought, no MHL/HDMI, no FM Radio, worse camera, no HWComposer.

Don't get me wrong, I do use Cyanogenmod on my HP Touchpad because that has exceptional devs. Somehow my Touchpad which isn't even an android device has a fully working custom rom with all features, yet my native android Galaxy S3 and Sony Xperia U, have terrible custom rom support with loads of features not working.

18. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    I just want to point out that Cyanogenmod definitely has MHL/HDMI support, I used it on my Galaxy Nexus before it broke like a cheap piece of Chinese glass. That is unless the newer versions don't have it for whatever reason.

But yes, I'm just afraid of losing too many features and gimping the camera. In the end I might have to use a modified version of the stock S5 ROM.

19. EvilM

EvilM Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 280
    hdmi works. camera works, only problem i have ATM is sometimes i can't send video in watsapp, tho i can in viber, radio don't use it since everything is online.

atm is snapshot m7, can't wait for stabile ver

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    Of course the camera works but there are fears that its quality will be gimped without the use of its stock software.

A bit back to that original forced "update", have you guys noticed all those 5 star reviews? They sound like they came straight out of the mouth of a shill, the way they demean anyone who's upset and state how everyone should be grateful to eat any **** Samdung crap down their throats. There's no question those are paid reviews, talk about reaching new lows, but then again hiring shills is probably not something new for Samdung. Apple does it, Samdung does, they all do it.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014