Sales of The Callisto Protocol are below expectations

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 17, 2023.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    mbk1969 likes this.
  2. JOHN30011887

JOHN30011887 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070Ti
    I cant speak for others but for me it was an easy pass cause its Unreal Engine without a proper shader cache system, half a**ed slapped in after launch, so still a stutter fest.
    that and its another denuvo game which i never buy at launch till its under £5 or given away for free, i dont like drm that needs internet to run, once denuvo servers close the game is dead unless they patch it out. for me if i like a game i want it preserved so i can play it many years from now.

Sylencer, Picolete and Eno9 like this.
  3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It's not the type of game I'd play (not that I'd play it with my current GPU anyway), but I watched a playthrough on Youtube, and thought it's worse than Dead Space. Callisto has hardly any variation in the settings, whereas Dead Space had at least some. The enemies are all the same, although that went for Dead Space as well, more or less. The story was really cookie-cutter, worse than Dead Space. Basically Callisto was like any other of the hundreds of experiment-went-wrong-zombies-got-out stories. Dead Space had the same kind of background stuff going on as Mass Effect, for example, which is always good.

I'm not awfully surprised Callisto wasn't an instant success. It did look and sound good, though.

schmidtbag and Airbud like this.
  4. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Great graphics, which make it an good tech demo. But terribly optimized.
    But gameplay was terrible. It also wasn't particularly scary.
    The only thing scary about it was knowing when the next stutter was coming.

Sylencer, Kaarme, Picolete and 3 others like this.

5. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    enjoey dead space 1,2 and yes even the 3 I also read the related comics
    watched 30min of callisto played and it was a chore, players whined and complained and hated every min of it ><

6. :D

Horus-Anhur likes this.
  7. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3090
    Still haven't gotten around to dead space. In this economy can't justify $$$ for new games when I still have unplayed old games.

Also reports of short story, linear, horror, and denuvo = very low interest even if it is in some way adjacent to mass effect.

8. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3090
    Personally I despise this sold 2 million and it's a failure! Bull crap. This is the same garbage movies have become and I love to see them lose money. Cut half your staff. All the tech fat and all the pointless people middle management in every organization loads up with. And double the .0001% you spent on writing.

geogan and Sylencer like this.
  9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I feel like only one of these are actually bad lol

Picolete likes this.
  10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Game isn't that good. I'd even call it bad. But they'll blame it on the genre. Again. "Horror games don't sell" instead of "bad games don't sell." So "let's stop making horror games" instead of "let's stop making bad games."

CalculuS, carnivore, Sylencer and 2 others like this.

11. Pryme

Pryme Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800 SWFT
    Games companies nowadays are managed by people that don't understand gaming, and being pressured by the investors to launch the product as is. In the end, what you have is a game with beautiful graphics with a terrible performance, weak gameplay and story. The funny part is that they are comparing themselves with Cyberpunk, that they can continue to invest resources in the game and make it good that will attract gamers again.

So, it confirms that they were aware that the game was really at a bad state, and still it was launched, and they would give the Cyberpunk excuse after the bad launch. Looks like now is going to be the motto in the game industry, launch bad game, give excuse that it will be better latter. Ok, I will play it latter, maybe...

carnivore and AlmondMan like this.
  12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    They didn't compare themselves to cyberpunk.

That being said they definitely knew the game was a unplayable mess on PC because DF played the unreleased beta and gave them feedback on the stuttering and issues with RT and they shipped the game like that anyway.

13. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Anticipating 5 million sales by April was idiotic and never achievable.

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Did you run the game lately? Stuttering is completely gone. Game is a graphical showcase and the best looking UE4 game but i do agree its not scary and combat was awful.

Cave Waverider likes this.
  15. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    This is the kind of game I pick up for 10-20 Eur during a random Steam sale after a year or two if all bugs were fixed.

16. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    these days thats the case for everything once it gets big enough

go to a hospital, you'll find 20 bureaucrats per medic

Kaarme, carnivore and JiveTurkey like this.
  17. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Last time I played it was on the 23rd of December. Last patch for the game was on the 15th.
    Still had stutters, but only when entering new areas. No stutters from shader compilation.

18. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    I jumped on it because I loved the Dead Space franchise. I refunded after a few hours because of the ropey storytelling and the fact the combat is the nasty console lock in a single target and mash melee kind. The enemies don't even attack more than one at a time (at the start at least). Completely ruins the experience.

Undying likes this.
  19. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Unfortunately, games have become so expensive to make that selling 2 million copies is not enough to recoup the investment made.

And we can`t forget that the game was bundled with AMD cards, and those copies are sold at a much lower price than at retail.

20. Stratos2k22

Stratos2k22 Member

GPU:
    Palit RTX 4080
    https://i.**********/HxmDqhsF/hjkhj.jpg