Saints Row Reboot

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Reclusive781, Aug 25, 2021.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Discord moderators... probably.

--

On a more serious note, I must know.... is The Penetrator in the game?

2. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT
    Ever since gamergate whenever I see something like this happen (a lousy video game gets released, muh politics and the going back and forth at each other's throat) I have visions of end times. Tsunamis, fire engulfing the earth, Earthquakes, etc.

Besides the bugs what in the hell were the developers thinking? Is the story really about college students needing to repay their student loans? Why? That's so freakin cringe. Is there supposed to be some type of political message coming from this? There's been a lot of student loan talk on the news.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  3. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  4. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    Looks like a strong contender for ShittiestGOTY.

5. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    https://www.pcgamer.com/saints-row-gets-major-update-that-overhauls-pretty-much-everything-including-combat/

A huge update is coming to Saints Row on May 9th that will rework damn near the entire game.

• Also says they are reworking the HUD, menus, tutorials... damn near everything.

6. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Has anyone tried the game since the update released on May 9th?

Seems it added a new area to the map, plus reworked pretty much everything.
    Even adjusting and changing dialog in certain areas.

https://saintsrow.com/news/sunshine

7. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    This is one of those games that no amount of fixes and patches can save.

CalculuS, emperorsfist and Solfaur like this.
  8. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Unless they essentially rewrote the story and characters, I don't care, honestly. There's no reason to play someone whom I heavily dislike from the get-go. Then again, I didn't really like the direction the series took from 3 onwards.

UnrealGaming and Horus-Anhur like this.
  9. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Personally, I only got interested in the series with 3 and 4.

Gat out of Hell was crap, but was also obviously slapped together and rushed out.

I haven't played this new one, because Epic exclusive. It'll most likely hit Steam in August, and it's nice to see it getting such hefty updates before hand.
    They've said they have other large updates planned.
    And, if they can/have improve performance and stability, and improve the gameplay... that'll be good.

10. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I wonder if FSR 2 does anything to performance, it seems to be doing almost nothing?

I tested Ultra quality only btw

11. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  12. Pale Horseman

Pale Horseman Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus Master 4090
  13. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    At £16 here in the UK and at that budget price the game is probably worth a punt even though it's far from being a classic. Still, 67% off after only been on Steam for, what, a month isn't a great advertisement for the game. I mean it most have sold shockingly poorly to be discounted that heavily, so soon?

Volition are not the best developer; they kind of struck gold with the original Saints Row on Xbox 360 which came out at a time when Xbox owners were clamouring for a Grand Theft Auto clone to fill the void. Their games have always been fun but also full of jank and poorly optimised. I think Saints Row The Third is considered their peak but it was actually Saints Row IV with its Matrix-inspired theme that captivated me and I simply could not stop playing it until I finished it, a first for the franchise. Silly but fun mini-games and a massively overpowered character who could literally jump over buildings! It was insanely entertaining! Gat Out of Hell was disappointing but the developers had made the franchise so utterly absurd that they really couldn't go anywhere else but a reboot. And that's what we got in 2022 and the game quite rightly got lambasted at launch for being a buggy mess.

14. JAMVA

JAMVA Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 4080:)
    It just launched on steam :D first day and it's on a firesale already :cool:

15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I have a friend who absolutely loves the Saints Row series..so seeing his reaction to this release was interesting, he hated it.

I had considered getting it when it was cheaper, but now that I know a bit more about the game I'll probably never try even for free.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2023
    JAMVA likes this.

16. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I have just played this for about 2 hours and, you know what, it's honestly not that bad, at least for the first three missions. Dumb dialogue, lots of explosions, shooting dozens of cloned enemies, the slight jankiness, it's all there. It still feels very Saints Row to me. I mean, sure, it's a lot more polished... presumably... than it was at launch... and graphically the game is a mixed bag, sometimes decent-looking, such as in the cutscenes, sometimes not so hot, like during the game where the engine Volition use shows its limitations in terms of draw distance and pop in, despite playing on maxed out settings.

That said, it's not a huge improvement over, say, Saints Row: The Third Remastered. Seems to run perfectly fine though at 120 fps (capped using RTSS). There's no stuttering at all, which is refreshing for any PC game in 2023, and the shader compilation is done quickly and almost transparently during loading screens. The game also has tons of options for graphics settings, showing you what each setting changes (which many PC games still don't do properly, e.g. Immortals of Aveum!!!) and accessibility and so on which is nice to see. Not sure if all those were there at launch or if they were added in via patches but the point is it is all there now in this bargain £16 version of the game.

I bought the standard £16 version but after the completion of mission 2 (or it might have been 3) saw a ton of unlocks pop up on the screen thanking me for buying this, that and the other. On checking the DLC menu, it appears that I own all the DLC, including the expansion pack!!! The game might be mediocre in the long-term but Saints Row has never really been anything other than good (although I absolutely adored Saints Row IV!). These games are as good as the fun lasts and once the silliness wears off and the repetition sets in then it quickly overstays its welcome (except for Saints Row IV... did I tell you that that game is awesome?).

Still £16 is a visit to the cinema these days so maybe this is the price point the game should always have been sold at? Worth checking out in my opinion and you can always request a refund from Steam if you think £16 is still too much to ask for the game...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2023
    JAMVA likes this.
  17. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    That's pretty common for games with timed Epic exclusivity deals.
    When they release on Steam, they do so at a pretty massive discount.

Metro Exodus was like 16 bucks when it hit Steam.

JAMVA and Darren Hodgson like this.
  18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Tell us how you feel about the ending if you ever reach that point.

JAMVA likes this.
  19. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    This shouldnt have been made at all. Theres literally no point except milking the ip beyond!

No. quite the contrary. Those are "exceptions". Most Epic exclusive games have the full price tag when releasing on Steam! Thats also why these games have mixed or negative reviews when they release at steam because... greediness.
    DeepSilver know about this being not a good game and to boost sales and get at least a little more money they gave this game when it hit steam a heavy discount.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
    Pale Horseman, JAMVA and Solfaur like this.
  20. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    So after 30 years, Volition is closing the doors.
    This last Saints Row was a major flop and killed the studio.

CalculuS, JAMVA and Solfaur like this.