Safe to go higher GTX 480 volts

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by cad cam man, Nov 27, 2010.

1. cad cam man

cad cam man Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti SLI
    Ok have these in sli. Got them at 1.1v @ 900 core the max temp is 54c. 925 unstable.
    Safe to give if some more?
    Best regards

2. orion24

orion24 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1254/1703
    You have a 15% overvoltage at 1.1V. This is pretty much the overvoltage I've been using when I was watercooling. You might be able to sqeeze a bit more, but I dought it will be worthy or 100% stable. An 900 MHz 480 at 1.1V is draws nearly 70% more power than stock. Probably this is already more than the 300W theoretical power it draws from the PCI-E, 6-pin & 8-pin inputs. The PSU must be really strong to handle this SLI. Of course, realistically, you'll only know how far it goes if you push it.

3. J_J_B

J_J_B Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA: 2xSLI 580HC, 480HC
    I have my 480 Hydro Copper running at 1.175 volts and 900/1800/2150. It's been running like that continuously for over 5 weeks, folding proteins for the team. I had to pull the memory back to 2150 for stability while folding. I've found that the GPU3 client is pushing this GPU far harder than then the OC tools I was using (Kombuster... perhaps I should have used Furmark with the max burning option). My GPU temperature tops out at 47 C with my fans at max, but I have an insane amount of cooling for just a single GPU right now. I have a watt meter sitting next to my PC. It breaks down my consumption like this:

• 750 watts: Folding P6900 with SMP2 beta client on 7 threads (85% CPU utilization) and P6811 on GPU3 client (8th thread needs to be free to keep GPU usage at 100%)
    • 450 watts: Folding with SMP2 client only
    • 300 to 350 watts: System at idle

So, if you assume 25 watts idle consumption by the 480 GPU then mine is pulling 325 watts using the above numbers. While trying to push things further (prior to knowing just how much wattage was being consumed!) my PSU decided it had enough... I heard the fan slowly spin up high and then the system shut down... something it does as a safety measure. So when I eventually toss in two 580 Hydro Coppers I will certainly NOT be overclocking. The two 580s and single 480 will be be pulling enough wattage as they are. I would rather avoid a need for a second PSU.

I also found that 925 MHz and above was unstable - no amount of voltage over 1.175 increased my stability at higher clocks.

4. macdaddy

macdaddy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X
    i got mine running 1.188 at 930 and crank it up to 950 for benching 1.2v

5. cad cam man

cad cam man Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti SLI
    Ok thank you all. I think i will settle for 850 just to be safe.

6. eagled1

eagled1 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SLI 4GB
    Mine are at 1.230 and are furmark stable at 830 and still run under 80c under full load.

7. smith10210

smith10210 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Do you guys have a modded bios to get your voltage that high? In AfterBurner i can only reach 1.138. I cant get past 875 on my core with 1.138 volts.

8. J_J_B

J_J_B Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA: 2xSLI 580HC, 480HC
    smith10210:

I had been using a beta version of EVGA's e-leet utility from early October that allowed sky-high voltage with 480 cards. That was how I did my testing and was how I determined that, with my particular card, going above 1.175 V didn't seem to help any more. Newer versions of e-leet now support the 470, as well as other cards, and in adding support for those cards EVGA has limited the maximum voltage for a card to what is set in the card's BIOS (1.138 V).

I also found that Afterburner limited me to 1.138 V, the maximum voltage set in the card's BIOS. Like e-leet, Afterburner reads that value from the BIOS and uses it as the maximum overclock voltage.

As you mentioned, a way around this is to install a modded BIOS. This is something I never thought I would find myself doing, but there is the following thread lead by several great Guru's who are willing to take your uploaded BIOS, modify to your specifications, and make it available for you to flash back to your card. In my case they "unlocked the voltage table to 1.175 V".

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=329033

Now I am able to use Afterburner as my one-stop overclocking tool. It applies the overvoltage to my requested value of 1.175 V and the overclock itself at Windows startup. No more having to manually use an old, buggy (beta) version of e-leet for overvolting followed by manual use of the EVGA Prevision tool for overclocking. It's all automatic now!