Safe temperature on 7970?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by PhantomCracking, Sep 30, 2014.

1. PhantomCracking

PhantomCracking Master Guru

GPU:
    7970 Ghz
    I've it clocked at 1150/1600 @ 1.2v.

Max it sees in Watch_Dogs is 86c. ..Wondering just HOW much I can push this thing.

So far no throttling/artifacts.

[​IMG]

EDIT: I meant what should I stay under. I'm not worried it running in the high 80s. Hell, my old 5870 sat at 90c on load regularly and that damn thing still works to this day.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  2. LoccOtHaN

LoccOtHaN Banned

GPU:
    ATi/AMD XFX 7970 DD GhzED
    Safe is MAX 85-90 Deg Cel. but as anyONE i preffer max of 80 deg.
    Right now i have in stress WD 1100/1600 1.80v +20POW 64-68 Deg. C
    And its OK (but its not Hot outside ;-)

3. LoccOtHaN

LoccOtHaN Banned

GPU:
    ATi/AMD XFX 7970 DD GhzED
  4. PhantomCracking

GPU:
    7970 Ghz
    Perhaps by flashing to a different bios but I can't say for certain which, if any "flavor" of the 7970 were released allowing it.

Take heed though, read up and make sure it's similar. ..I flashed my Asus 5870 to sapphire and it worked fine. Always that chance to brick it though.

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/

As for the OC, 1180 on the core = artifacts in BL2. So, this is what I've managed so far.

[​IMG]

Gave a hard lock at those clocks and 1.2v, so I upped straight to 1.25v. Yet to tweak with it. I'm sure I'll get some more outta it. :)

5. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    I was just playing W_D and I topped out at 65C... I would be alarmed if mine got that high. Granted I am only running mine on stock clocks(1000/1450)

6. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    Is that an aftermarket cooler? I see the fan is only at 48%, you might try making a custom fan curve in afterburner to get that fan speed higher, sooner. If it's a reference type blower, over 50% might be deafening though.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah 48% fan speed seems a little slow @86c.

8. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Good catch on the fan speed!

9. PhantomCracking

GPU:
    7970 Ghz
    I've already set a custom profile, it was at idle when I took that SS. I have it to be 100% @ 80c and up.

As for the HSF, it's **** and LOUD, super loud. The double dissipation, that is. I already have plans on getting an aftermarket to run 1.25+v regularly. ..Just getting a feel for the card and what it can do for the time being. ;)

A lot of the high temps is due to where I have the PC now, which is in a walk-in closet. No damn vent in here and it gets hot. /facepalm

If it were me, I'd not have it in here but the woman wants it back here. Haha!

Thanks though, guys. For looking out.

10. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Guess you could get a swiftech vga closed loop watercooler? That's a bit expensive but whatever, maybe it would help your case?

Or sell your current card and get a quiet GTX 970. :D