Safe overclock 2080ti

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Raffaele Schiavone, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Raffaele Schiavone

Raffaele Schiavone Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080ti
    Goodmorning everyone,

I'm sure it's a topic already much discussed, but unfortunately I couldn't find the information I was looking for, so I preferred to try to ask you, hoping not to get bored.
    I have a liquid cooled Gigabyte aurus 2080ti xtreme waterforce wb 11g. For bad past experiences I no longer overclocked the VGA but, having a liquid system, I could not resist and I wanted to try again with this card, more than anything else after having had some reassurances.
    I have been told, and perhaps it is true, that the overclocking on Turing and Pascal is quite safe because the voltage is blocked at 1.093 volts; I have been told that this is a safety limit decided by Nvidia, within which there should be no problems by increasing the frequencies, obviously being careful of the temperatures. There are even those who claim that the Turing and Pascal gpu are precisely tested at 1.093 volts, that is, it is not a real overclock, but a margin of improvement offered to users to improve their cards. I have reached 2145 mhz in boost with 1.093 volts and, at least for the moment, I am not having any problems. I ask for confirmation on the frequency reached; for daily use maybe you will suggest me to go down a bit, because I am looking for a stable and safe overclock in the long run. The scores in the benchmarks are a goal that I do not set myself.
    Taking for granted that 2145 mhz on the gpu are fine, I don't know how to deal with Samsung's GDDR6 memories instead. Increasing the memory clock the performance increases slightly and I am continuing to get higher and higher scores on Time Spy. To overclock I'm using the usual afterburner and, as far as memory is concerned, I reached a clock of +850 mhz without any problem. I didn't expect to be able to go up so much and I'm not sure I want to push myself to the limit, because I don't know what could happen to these memories held for a long time at such a high frequency. I would like to know if, in the case of the memories in question, there is a safe frequency, a value that would be better not to exceed. I have read of some users who have reached +1500 mhz; these memories certainly have enormous overclocking potential but, not knowing exactly what I'm doing, I'd rather ask more experienced people. I think I'm in the right place ;-) I'm not sure I want to buy the new top Nvidia range immediately as soon as it comes out, so I was hoping to be able to get 10/15% more performance without risking damage in a short time. As temperatures do not exceed 60 ° C currently, but in the summer I could perhaps be around 65 ° C. If necessary, I could still use a more aggressive fan profile or reduce the frequencies.

Thanks everyone in advance!

Raffaele

2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    What's safe is what's stable. It's hard to cause any long term damage. As you already pointed out, high VRAM overclocks with Samsung are expected. That core speed you have is pretty much the limit without sub ambient cooling.

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Excellent core OC :)

Yes, I've read people saying that +1500 on mem is standard and expected but I think it's just bragging. I've reached +1000 and I'm happy with the result so I won't push it further. My first card I had Micron and they wouldn't do +1000 or even +800 so I had to settle for +700.

My core OC is total crap but that's another story.

4. newls1

newls1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    good thread here. I have just bought a 2080TI 5 days ago now and that night i installed a fcwb on it as well. I had the exact same questions, and using afterburner ive gone to +125core +850mem and still stable and gpu temp hasent exceeded 34c yet. I too think im capped @ 1.093v and am totally happy with that as this card is crazy dumb fast stock, so any oc i get is just a bonus. OP, lets both settle for +1000mem and keep our cores where there at and settle for that final OC. This is totally safe stuff. I will not bios mod this 1100$ investment, as im not searching for that extra +5fps..... and imo thats where things get hairy. im content with this very safe and managable OC

5. Raffaele Schiavone

Raffaele Schiavone Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080ti
    Thanks a lot to everyone!

As for the gpu, at 2145 mhz of boost I am stable, while at 2155 mhz I am unstable. I could have tried at 2150 mhz but I never liked to overclock the "last mhz". I thought it was better to leave at least 10 mhz away from the core instability point.
    On the memory, always using afterburner, I reached +1100 mhz. Performance continues to increase and is stable on 3D Mark, zero artifacts. As a graphic score I have exceeded 16000 points. But is it really possible that there is no limit "safety" frequency? It seems incredible to me that there are no problems with keeping memories at 8000+ mhz every day when their base frequency is 7000.
    I know it is not really an increase of 1000+ mhz, but in reality this frequency must be divided by 4, from what I understand, but in any case it is a remarkable increase. I'm considering whether to stop at 8000. In fact I'd like to keep going up to see how far I can go, but I wouldn't take any risks. As temperatures are always around 55-60 ° C. Unfortunately, with the liquid system at room temperature, I cannot go much lower in full load. Let's say that with 100% fans (very noisy) I can stay around 52 degrees celsius. This card heats up a lot more than my old Pascal.

Good evening!

6. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    ...and how much increase in FPS (specific to application) ?

7. Raffaele Schiavone

Raffaele Schiavone Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080ti
    I am not checking, but certainly certainly very very little. The score on 3D Mark does not increase as much as increasing the core. On the core I gained a lot and also several fps. Now I'm at +1200 mhz on the memories and I see that the score starts to increase less. I will be close to the limit of memory, or memory is so fast that the GPU does not benefit from it, that is, it acts as a "bottleneck".
    I could keep the memory at 8100, which seems the value where I have the best performance, or much less, so as not to put a lot of effort into the memories. In any case, it is not that you change so much, or rather it is not worth so much to get on the vram, judging by the scores. If we talk about 3D Mark, consider that with 7100 mhz I have a score of 15503 while with 8100 mhz I have 16041. Probably this overclock is not worth too much. The curiosity to see how much they can go up is greater. Probably, if I go up a lot more on the core, it would make more sense to go up with the vram, or I could earn more.

8. Raffaele Schiavone

Raffaele Schiavone Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080ti
    Will update:

I was too curious and I decided to go on. I crashed on +1400 mhz on 3D Mark, so the limit of these memories is between +1350 and +1400, presumably. It's a good result isn't it? I continued to earn points up to +1350 mhz. It seems to me a lot. I don't know if I want to keep them so high 24/7. Do you recommend a relatively safe frequency to set? I was thinking of a value between +500 and +1000. Sorry for the many messages, but I have a lot to learn about this.

Good evening!

9. newls1

newls1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    excellent mem OC, damn! why not just keep them @ +1000 and carry on with your day.

10. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    1.093v is the hard voltage limit for pascal and turing graphics cards and the bios cannot be modded due to added encryption that no tool of my knowledge, has currently bypassed.

Only cross-flashing of same/different vendor's bios of the same card model is possible, but with different circuitry and cooling methods between vendors there is still a risk of causing instability.

In this linked thread, a couple of us discussed how to overclock a turing graphics card, but the same should apply to pascal as well - 2080 Ti Overclock Curve?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020

11. mbm

mbm Member Guru

GPU:
    4090 RTX
    How do you maintain 1.093 Vcore and 2145 mhz?

12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    You can use the voltage curve to lock the voltage at specific frequency targets.

Mda400 likes this.
  13. mbm

mbm Member Guru

GPU:
    4090 RTX
    Have tried that. But it still boost up/down both in vcore and mhz

14. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    You can see what is limiting your boost in gpuz under sensors.
    Probably power limit and temperature.

15. mbm

mbm Member Guru

GPU:
    4090 RTX
    how can I see this in gpuz?
    it boost fine upto 2150 mhz and 1.050 volt
    but also goes down to 2050 mhz

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020

16. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU: