1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sadly I knew it.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Krogtheclown, Jun 24, 2015.

1. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980TI Gaming
    9700 9800 were godlike, but before them nvidia geforce 4 TI were godlike. Geforce FX failed on purpose, there was some rumor that previous 3dfx team developed FX series, they failed same areas much like the voodoo cards.

Sweet revenge?

2. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 570 4GB
    Can you please provide any links to back this claim up? The whole reduction of CPU overhead translating into performance idea wasn't such a hot conception before Mantle's arrival. Of course, nvidia fans just love to discredit AMD. It makes them feel superior.

3. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    I'm totally happy with the card cause it pushed HBM. Now Nvidia will use HBM2 that will come in higher capacity and with how Nvidia will optimize for it we can see huge gains.

I'm still excited for dx12 and how amd cards will perform. People that say hey Nvidia will benifit just as much as AMD and I don't think so. Seeing how bad AMD does in dx11 and I'm talking about efficiency. They can do better in dx11 but the drivers have huge overhead. Thisi s the reason why I won't be supriced if amd does a little bit better. Let's say currently amd had the same overhead than nvidia AMD will come on top in every possible way.

But hey maybe I'm just making things up. I'm no amd fanboy or nvidia fanboy. When we see dx12 or win10 and amd wins i will stay but if Nvidia wins I will move to Nvidia.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    We have no proof either way. But since there are things in DX12 which are above AMD's/nVidia's graphical hardware, I would say specifications were made towards those things.
    Because Mantle was tailored for GCN as far as features go. Low overhead methodology in DX12 may very well come from Mantle, because AMD was willing to share freely with anyone in industry. (as they did with Khronos)

Thing is that as AMD announces anything software related or shows it, they are actually showing something what has very little money behind it.
    M$ can pour 50 times more money to develop same features 5~10 times faster.
    We should be happy that AMD came and displayed how it can be done. And that they delivered very good performance with it.
    Because Mantle became benchmark, and if DX12 was any weaker at pushing draw calls, m$ would simply pour more cash to development till it would win.

5. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    nvidiots :p

nvidia really makes good gpus but i wish they wouldn't have played cheap tricks..

ms was working on Conservative Rasterization and Rasterizer Ordered Views.. which was a long time demand by many developers.. even intel hd graphics 4600 supports Rasterizer Ordered Views.. these were the improvements they wanted to bring with the new direct x.
    now they are calling it 11.3.. later they have added Unified Memory Access as an optional implementation. which will be a mandatory feature for dx 12.1 ( or whatever they call the next api ). paskel will support it. no confirmation from amd about this yet.

but when mantle was released then microsoft started making direct x 12..

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/directx/archive/2014/03/20/directx-12.aspx
    look at the date

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8544/microsoft-details-direct3d-113-12-new-features

http://www.pcgamer.com/directx-12s-new-rendering-features-are-coming-to-directx-11-3-too/

these 2 links will give you idea about 11.3

btw this is for nvidiots- mantle was not amd's own concept either it was kindda stolen from ps4. in playstation 4 u can see way better utilization of their hardware than pc. why so ? cause ps4 using lower level api.. amd's concept was achieving that console level efficiency in pc.. they took that concept but implemented in their own way..

6. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    one more thing.. if any one has 1 or 2 r9 290x. he should not change the card this year.. the fury x is not good enough.. and r9 290x is capable enough to fuel your games this year.. wait and see.. and if u have a r9 290x crossfire system.. just sit back and wait.. see how powerful the next gen card is.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    My HD7970 was capable to fuel games well enough, with gameworks titles as exception.
    Always 60~120fps. But I prefer 120.
    Friend is very happy on gtx 660, he plans to upgrade next year. So, it is matter of preference.

8. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    it depends on the panel you are using and your pocket.. long ago i used to buy the mid range cards.. caz i was not capable of buying the top end.. so yea.

one more thing i m curious about.. whats the preferred resolution of your friend ? i dont think he can play games @ 1080p..

9. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I agree about 290X crossfire sit and wait.

Fury X2 or a couple of Fury X are not powerfull enough and lack the 8 GB needed to be future proof in 4K gaming to justify the upgrade from 290X 4GB crossfire, the upgrade from the 8 GB 290X version is even less justified.

Next Nvidia HBM 2.0 GPU with 8 GB support and gameworks 2.0 could put the first 2 nails in the AMD GPUs coffin at least for me.

:(

10. flopper

flopper Member

GPU:
    xfx 6950 2gb
    Right, Fury is the best card out there atm and with windows 10 hitting us its just nuts to skip it. My 290 isnt enough for my eyefinity set up and I am glad your talking for all of us PC gamers as what would we all do without good advice?

/sarcasm off

11. randomizer

randomizer Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580 RX 8gb
    I wonder how much money AMD spent on developing Mantle?

Don't get me wrong, without Mantle's incarnation we wouldn't have Directx 12 where it is now..

12. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    FuryXfire 3440x14freesync
    When does the non-water cooled Fury X come out? I think I wanna buy 2 of them. I'd like to help out AMD if they have close performance I cant stand Nvidia .....always driving up prices.

13. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Fury X reference PCB is the only allowed for all brands including the WC system, AMD does the same with 295X2.

The only thing you can change as customer is the use of a custom WC loop with a different WC block like the customized EK model for Fury X.

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    He is at 1080p. Mostly plays HotS, before that LoL. Yep, those are not most demanding and can be tuned down as much as needed to be playable in iGPU.

15. Lemwise

Lemwise Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 280X Gaming
    I just want to say something about Nvidia giving money to game studio's to optimise more heavily for their cards. It's not like game studio's have to take Nvidia's money. When Nvidia knocks on their door carrying a bag of money as an incentive, they can tell them to go screw themselves. Every studio that's in bed with Nvidia is a part of the problem. They are just as unethical, and they are screwing us gamers over just as bad.

16. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    The FX5800 was a horrible card, poor performance and the reference cooler sounded like a jet engine. People that complain about reference coolers now don't know how good they have it tbh. Nvidia couldn't get the 5900 out of the door quick enough after that disaster.

17. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980TI Gaming
    yep FX were the ****test cards i ever seen, nvidia holds the best card crown and the worst series crown.

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    3dfx did not develop the 5000 series cards, that was an nvidia abomination. They named it the FX series as a tribute to 3dfx.

19. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I agree they are all unethical. IT's A BUSSINESS FOR THEM!

And now?

People who buy gaming GPUs want to play games, ethics could great but it's not related to this goal.

Almost all major AAA titles this year are Gameworks "powered", this is not a problem AMD GPU customers must take care of!

If AMD GPU customers can't properly play this games this is a HUGE problem for AMD if it really want to follow selling GPUs to current and future customers.

We are not (or AMD) changing Nvidia or Game Devs ethics so the solution for this AMD problem is to use the same tactics as Nvidia use to provide support for his customers or it will loose his customers.

If AMD can't solve this problem players will use the GPUs from the GPU maker who provide game support to play games, in this case unethic Nvidia ones.

20. Lemwise

Lemwise Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 280X Gaming
    I agree. It's a problem Nvidia users must also address. We as gamers, whether we use an AMD or Nvidia card must all blacklist Nvidia and game studio's who use gameworks. Remember boys and girls, if AMD cannot compete anymore and the only viable choice left is Nvidia, innovation will slow down and prices will go up. It can ruin PC gaming in its entirety and none of us want that.