S.T.A.L.K.E.R Global Illumination

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by becco, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Food

Food Banned

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTX 768MB
    let's cut the crap already :D get NVIDIA or die is something i dont agree.
    ATI cards are awesome and before purchasing the 8800gtx had an x1900xtx which mangled any game i could throw at, i did try STALKER on the ATi card and was running fine and if i gotta be honest it looked better than the 8800gtx with sharper textures and less bleeding.

sure the 8800gtx is a monster card and the best money can buy atm but let's not fall into fanboysm :D ATI and Nvidia make excellent cards.

2. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Yeah WTH? My card chews this game up and spits it out asking for more at 1280*1024 resolution most settings maxed out. In fact, the only setting I don't have enabled is grass shadows, but I suppose I could enable that as well and till get at least a constant 30fps.... Geez, it seems like since the 8800's came out, people think that all other cards are obsolete. That's pretty naive considering the X1900's can still hold their own in a game like STALKER with maxed settings, when even some 8800's have trouble doing that (8800GTS 320mb *cough* *cough*)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  3. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    i can play this game with full dynamic with 16xaf but with all maxed but resolution is 1024x768 oh my card is feeling teh pressure :)

4. Tripico

Tripico New Member

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 9800GTX+
    Signed up for these forums specifically to revive a two-year old thread. :D Yay me. Likely technically flawed description(s) incoming. ;)

Global illumination allows for indirect lighting: the concept of light reflecting off every surface the "photons" hit. It can create more realistic light interaction beyond (albeit more efficient) techniques such as ambient occlusion (SSAO, featured in STALKER: Clear Sky). As I understand it, GI in STALKER is done via real time ray tracing. It is horridly slow due to being processed completely on the CPU. In addition, from my experience, it doesn't make use of multiple cores, and ultimately slams the first core with tons of instructions. The CPU time needed is increased drastically as the number of photons increases.

There are several GI related options in STALKER:
    r2_gi - On/off toggles GI.
    r2_gi_photons - Number of virtual photons used per frame. Ranges from 8 to 256.
    r2_gi_clip - Distance (I'm not sure what units, exactly) before photons are clipped and no longer rendered. Ranges from 0.0001 to 0.99 if my memory serves correctly.
    r2_gi_depth - I would assume this would be the number of surfaces a photon will bounce between before "dying," but in practice seems to have no affect on performance or visuals.
    r2_gi_refl - The reflectivity scale of surfaces for GI luminance. Basically, more reflective means brighter indirect lighting.

Practically, I don't think most anyone will be able to make use of GI in STALKER anytime in the near future without one of two outcomes: Horrid frame rates but impressive lighting, or relatively decent frame rates with oft glitchy, flickering lighting: particularly when light sources move (i.e., your head lamp). In either outcome, GI in STALKER is not perfect and often passes through solid objects or otherwise acts funky. :p When I played around with various GI settings, I managed to get GI looking beautiful with essentially no odd flickering when the number of photons was set above 50, and a clip setting between 0.03 and 0.06. Of course, on my system this dropped the FPS from 60 (V-Sync'd, probably more if unlocked) to around 15 or less in my 'testing area' (the Agroprom underground, paricularly in the room with the bloodsucker.) Lower photon counts may be playable, but the accuracy of lighting will be quite low and will result in unnatural, sudden brightness changes.

So, in case anyone still cares, GI via this method is still rather unobtainable. Ray tracing is a highly complex process and has yet to be successfully implemented in real time rendering. It is common in pre-rendered 3D animation, however, such as Pixar-style movies.

cerebus23 likes this.

5. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    Most interesting. I´m replaying, again, SOC with tons of textures mods, going to try to tweak a bit GI.

Enabling it does give a enormous hit on fps, and looks to bright in some areas on default settings.

Wonder if its, and how, implemented in Clear Sky.

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    GI works in Clear Sky but it's a bit buggy under the DX10 and perhaps even the DX9 enhanced renderers and it does cause a pretty big performance hit unless tweaked a bit, looks pretty good in certain situations whereas in others it's a bit too bright.

7. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850

I see. I did enable and tweaked a bit GI in SOC in in some areas looks better, others the same and in the most cases worse.
    The common factor is the performance hit. Too bad.

8. Tripico

Tripico New Member

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 9800GTX+
    As I recall reading (somewhere :p) the original STALKER engine, X-Ray, was developed over quite a long time, and went through several iterations before it was dubbed complete... or at least release-worthy. Same goes for the content. They obviously had a lot of ideas for their engine, which can be seen when installing an original retail copy, unpatched. The user.ini has a TON of options that were removed before release, including occlusion, implying the SSAO used in Clear Sky was in the works before ShoC was completed. At the time, such visual niceties would have been completely beyond consumer graphics -- I remember my computer really struggling with all those shadows when I got ShoC, and that was a while after its release (purchased on Steam at version 1.0005).

I never tried playing with GI much in CS, seeing as I never had luck with it in ShoC and CS has improved lighting and shading anyway. SSAO is really pretty sexy, though I don't think the X-Ray SSAO does indirect lighting/brightening, only darkening to mimic soft shadows, but I could be wrong. If it does, it must be faint.

EDIT: For the most part, I really prefer ShoC over CS as far as gameplay is concerned, though CS did implement some nice stuff. What I need is the ShoC content on the updated X-Ray engine used in CS. That + AMK mod, the upgrade system from CS, and maybe some of the improved AI, and it'd be the perfect STALKER game. ;)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  9. BigWhomas

BigWhomas New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 8GB
    10 year old necro but! I come from the future to say that even with new graphics cards such as the RTX 2080 that supports raytracing, the game is still *heavily* unplayable with Global Illuminations enabled. With my Ryzen 7 2700x & RTX 2080 I get like 30fps from 100 without. Okay, bye :D

10. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    well i reinstalled the stalker trilogy other week and i playing SoC w radiophobia 2 mod atm.

someone is always playing stalker somewhere especially with "stalker 2" announced.

also check out the gunslinger mod and some of the videos they posted dat gauss gun my god it even got a digital functioning data display on their gauss model. and the animations these polish guys are doing the lords work. think the mods for CoP, fingers crossed they finish it before i finish SoC lol.

playing stalker and rage side by side talk about polar opposite gaming. ;p

11. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    You talk about SoC? CS is much better optimized, but all these STALKER games are written for single core CPUs. So your Ryzen means nothing here.
    Also Nvidia raytracing can't be in any way connected with SoC global illumination. It's useless.

12. BigWhomas

BigWhomas New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 8GB
    Nah I was talking about CS, I think I did it wrong and yea I understand that RTX Raytacing has nothing to do with it, as well as it being single core optimisation. I just thought it was pretty funny is all :D

13. BigWhomas

BigWhomas New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 8GB
  14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Dat resolution :D

cerebus23 likes this.