S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat.....

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by cjs007, Sep 22, 2009.

1. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
  2. Herbert0100

Herbert0100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 X 780ti 3gb
    Thank you buddy

3. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    The problem is COP is that most of the game is travel trough a very poor landscape.
    In "urban" areas or interiors the game look as great as CS, but the lack of vegetation,forests and even building in ruins makes the game look very poor 70% of the time.
    Textures pack will improve the game, but unless someone rewrites it, we are at stuck with this mix of looks great/looks awful.

4. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    Already beaten Call of Pripyat, and it fixes pretty much everything from the past games giving a much more polished feel - and is anything creepier than exploring a completely dead city...but hearing running footsteps?

I'm playing Shadow of Chernobyl again with the Complete 2009 mod and it really does breath new life into the game. I do hope for some serious mods, the first engine presents limitations for modders but Call of Pripyat version should give way to amazing tweaks and changes. Some areas of the graphics are lacking, but the STALKER series has the best lighting engine of any game, even more so with DX11 effects.

5. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    You should re-play Clear Sky with the Complete Mod. Its is one of the most beautiful games i ever see. The artistic look of Stalker is already magnificent but with this mod it becomes almost art.
    Then there is a game between it, but jut cheat and enjoy the scenarios:)

6. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    Is the Clear Sky Complete mod out? Care to link it?

7. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
  8. PHJF

PHJF Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    Clear Sky was crap at a fundamental level. Nearly the entire game was pulled map for map from SHOC with the only new element being the utterly, hopelessly broken faction wars.

While Pripyat itself is pretty pathetic, Yanov and Zaton are the best content the STALKER series has to offer (except maybe the first time through Yantar). It's just such a shame either GSC or the X-Ray engine aren't up to the task of creating a vibrant urban landscape to explore.

9. IAmGhostDog

IAmGhostDog Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 390
    It's the Zone.
    Maybe it's barren because of "the melt down"
    Every one keeps complaining about how it looks.
    I'm playing vanilla.
    And I'm having a hella good time.
    This game is an excellent addition to the STALKER universe.

10. antipacker

antipacker Banned

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    is this game worth buying ?

11. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    this game needs some better physics..the first thing i think they should add is wind, in all does thunder storms, wind effects (with moving trees, and leaves getting in your face) would make it much more immersive.

12. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    The only thing I hate so far is how the vegetation just pops out at you, and how much the FOV sucks.

13. antipacker

antipacker Banned

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    so thats a no then

14. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    yeah, despite its many..many flaws, its a good game, Without cheating, its scary as hell at times, especially at night going through abandond buildings, hearing footsteps,howls and all else. First time i heard a baby cry in X8 labs an opened the door to the source..**** it scared the crap out of me and made me jump.
    Moments like that is what makes its flaws seem petty. I can't go no where in this game without saving all the time and being nervous.

I think this game is pretty hard, even on easy mode, especially Pripyat. I use cheats a little bit just so i get something done, takes forever to make money..etc. But surviving without cheats takes some forethought and prepareness, thats for sure.
    It's love/hate for some, not everyone likes micro managing yourself, maintaining psych,radiation poisoning,hunger...etc and then run into a controller,bloodsucker or guy who can make weapons fly out of your hands leaving you nearly helpless and die to do over again.

15. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    so far i like this game. the story is good, not as good as SoC, but far better than CS. CS to me was like a mod of SoC. i spent too much time in CS farting around with side missions, even tryin in vain to play faction wars, because the main story was so short. graphically CS is awesome with mods. on the other hand i have completed SoC a half dozen times and i will play it again whenever LURK 1.1 is finally released.

the graphics for CoP are good overall i think. i want to use some texture packs but i am already bottoming out in the high 20's so that is out the window unless i upgrade my gpu, which is not going to happen any time soon. i find the atmosphere to be immersive and the lighting/shadows to be better than anything else i have installed right now. so far the mods that i am running are atsomfear, CoP remix, sell everything and increased vision distance.

there are a few things that drive me crazy though:

1. how is it that a game can be released in 2010 and not have any noticeable multi-threading support? it looks as if one core on my quad is at ~80%, sometimes more, while the others are all 10% or less. performance could undoubtedly be increased if there was better multi-threading and optimization.

2. the grass draw distance is way too near. to me it looks even closer than the previous two games. i know that this is "hard coded", but the LURK mod for SoC manages to double or even triple this which makes the middle distant terrain look far far better. hopefully the mod community can do something about this.

on the positive side, this game actually seems to be stable which is a feat for a STALKER game. for fist two turned me into a basket case because they were so crash-tastic. i had to shelve SoC for several months until a few patches came out and fixed some of the issues. so far, i have not had a single CTD or freeze.

overall i give it a 8 out of 10

16. SiriusTexra

SiriusTexra Member Guru

GPU:
    9800GT 512MB
    Are there any weapon texture mods yet? I'd repaint the textures myself but I don't know which files are which dds settings. I remember modding halo 1 I used to break textures all the time by saving them as dx1 instead of dx3 or instead of a8r8g8b8 etc.

I assume anything with an alpha is dx3 or 5?

Would like to get my texture hands all over this game.

On that note, how do you go about actually extracting all the games textures? I assume some sort of cab file extract and than put the folder into the gamedata section for textures? I have ****loads of textures I've made for ue3 that might benefit this. That and I wanna fix the characters faces and the guns.

Also models, anyway to extract those?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  17. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    He he @texture hands!

18. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    you may be able to use CS weapon textures mods. others in this thread have been using CS concrete and metal texture mod pack and the mcneil terrain texture mod. its worth a shot.

19. PHJF

PHJF Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    The engine simply wasn't built for it. They spent years and years on it and by the time SHOC finally came out it was behind the curve.

20. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB