1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ryzen Zen 2 Procs Incompatible With some Older 300-Series due to BIOS limitation?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Dazz

Dazz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Very old news now, Mobo OEM's have came up with work around but it's a pain the arse for them and maybe confusing for some customers to use, which they have two BIOS revisions one to support Ryzen 1000 and 3000 CPU's and another that supports Ryzen 2000 and 3000 CPU's. Not ideal but it's a work around although most people like me will use use their X370 mobo as a stop gap before getting the X570, as you know the X500 will have new features and of course PCIE4.0. It does mean i can use my X370 with the New CPU and then can take my time and research/check reviews on getting the best X570 motherboard. Or some might use tie it over get this CPU live with what you got then wait for the next mobo and Ryzen which will have DDR5. I personally won't because like DDR, 1, 2, 3 and 4 when they bring new memory out they are expensive as hell, hard to get hold of, have no real benefits over the last gen and have horrific latencies.

chispy and waltc3 like this.
  2. waltc3

waltc3 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 590 8GB XFire
    Doesn't bother me as I will upgrade to x570 when the 3000 series are released--had already planned that. But as of this moment, this seems to be an MSI-only issue, if indeed this isn't just more Internet rumor. But I do note that although the MSI 470 equivalent of my x370 MSI mboard has received a bios update for the 3000 series already, my x370 mboard has not. Something seems a bit fishy, though as the size of the 3000 x470 bios file is 11.17mbs and the size of the last x370 bios file is 10.72mbs--that's compressed, of course, but it will be interesting to see if AMD has changed the physical size required to store the bios on the mboard, beginning with the x470 chipset. Sure doesn't seem likely, and I've not heard this from any other motherboard OEM.

chispy likes this.
  3. waltc3

waltc3 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 590 8GB XFire
    Good point about DDR5--hard to believe x570 would require it--hope not!--we'll see.

chispy likes this.
  4. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Master Guru

GPU:
    x
    It doesn't sound like a vendor greed issue and more of a MB limitation.
    it's just like the bullsht intel with the 1151 and 1151v2.......
    AMD said they would support backwards compatibility for AM4 up to 2020, it seems like they won't. that's all.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Yes... they are. Read the other comments in this thread. There are 300 series motherboards that will support Zen2.
    This isn't the same bullshit as 1151 vs 1151v2. Worst-case scenario, there will be backward compatibility, which you can't say of 1151v2.

chispy likes this.
  6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    AMD != MSI

Do your Fact checks.

chispy likes this.
  7. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    AMD is still supporting AM4, it's just some mobos that do not have a big enough bios chip.

As far as 1151 and v2 goes, v2 literally was rewired different. Same pin amount and array, but not the same leads.

Please do not post troll bait posts like these....

Keitosha and chispy like this.
  8. nizzen

nizzen Master Guru

GPU:
    2x1080ti /1080/1060
    Enough talk... I want to see results!

We need faster singlecore performance and lower latency than Intel, for less money than 9900k. Then we are talking ;)

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    What about seeing it for same price? It would provide same immediate value, right?
    And it would provide higher value for everyone with compatible older board as they could upgrade without additional expenditure.

10. fredgml7

fredgml7 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 570 4GB
    I really like MSI products, but if that is true, I will avoid them.

Killian38 likes this.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    I used to buy exclusively high end MSI boards on both AMD's and intel's platform. Last time, I wanted to go with X470 Taichi due to really good design. But ASRock was very late to release. So I went with X470 from MSI which did cost more than Taichi. I was badly disappointed with large number of missing features on that MSI board. And when memory VRMs died month later, I asked for money back as Taichi became available. I immediately gained quite better memory settings. CPU voltage offset did actually work on ASRock's board, ...

Features MSI still provides on intel's side are good. They are simply cutting corners on AMD's side, but asking full price. Low end MSI boards likely provide better value as there is not that much more they can take away. But last year, I built another 2 Ryzen Based systems. One with Gigabyte mITX (mid price) board which proven to be OK. And one with cheapest available uATX MB from ASRock... where I could not believe my eyes when I saw all those features. Its BIOS had more settings I like to use than 4 times as expensive MSI's board.

Killian38 and chispy like this.
  12. Embra

Embra Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Nitro+LE
    May need to ditch my x370 Carbon, though it has been a very good board for me.

Next board will not be MSI.

chispy likes this.
  13. Killian38

Killian38 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI is telling an out right lie. If MSI stays true to that post I can promise you i'll never buy another MSI product.

14. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB 144hz
    MSI being lazy and cutting corners again? Anyway good to see ASUS coming for the rescue.

15. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    Yeah but i did expect them to support Zen 2. Of course Zen 3 was always out of question and would be a big surprise. Zen+ is nice and yeah it's an upgrade and certainly better than my last Intel system that was not upgradable at all. But it's just a small incremental upgrade not even sure it's worth it.

When i built my system i went for a x370 board (ASUS) cause i knew b350 could be left out when Zen 2 was going to be released (not necessarily by AMD but maybe by MB manufacturers because those are cheaper and often less supported). But i really expected Zen 2 to be supported on x370.

It's not a good time to be a PC gamer. I think more and more to keep my pc as it is as a workstation and buy a console to play games (PS5 or xbox whatever). GPUs are expensive as hell. Computers are not upgradable anymore outside of the gpu. And don't get me started with the price of RAM these days ...

Well i hope it's just MSI trying to be greedy.

16. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    128Mb = 16MB so no if true you're not fine as x470 can apparently store 32MB.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  17. icedman

icedman Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX 1080
    I'm just going to assume and hope that my mobo's will be updated considering both already have bios updates measuring in and 8.5mb on my Gigabyte x470 and 10.2mb on my Asrock b350 I'm more concerned with the Gigabyte.

18. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    The not crappy b450 MB in Canada are around 150$. I would not call this not expensive. Also some people are old and have family and don't have much free time. Upgrading a whole system takes a lot more time than just swapping a CPU. And BTW x370/b350 MBs are not old and are perfectly fine. They still support pretty much all the latest technologies.

19. Killian38

Killian38 Master Guru

GPU:
    That is the same MB i have. Bought it when the 1600 came out. Been rock solid. I love it. I'm not seeing a bios update for this MB for ryzen2 chips. That is starting to worry me. This board can handle zen2 without issue.

20. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RX 480 Nitro 4GB
    So wait, people who had 2nd gen X58 boards and slapped a cheap xeon 6 core in that when overclocked reached 5930k performance were dumb? Or that I wanna keep my X370 boards because its the best of the sub $150 X370 boards and upgrade my cpu to ryzen 3, Im dumb. Yea what ever dude. If my board doesnt work with ryzen 3, guess what I can get a 2600x and still be fricking happy and give my 1600 to my roommate who is on a FX 8120 and needs an upgrade.