Ryzen & Windows 7

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by testcy, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Claims Intel supports windows 7, then states needing to modify the USB 3 drivers to make it work.

Good....job?

2. Clanger

Clanger Master Guru

GPU:
    igpu
    Blame intel for that not me. Like AMD give you usb3 drivers for Ryzen.
    Where exactly did i say i had to mod the drivers?
    NO i didnt need to mod the drivers you simpleton, you dont have to, just add them from the zip.

We had to put ahci drivers into an xpcd for years, boohoo, having to add 2 drivers, such hard work and nigh on impossible to do, took me weeks of hard work.

To quote myself(except links)
    "Wrong!!! Intel DOES support windows 7 on H310C(R2.0) chipset and Biostar has a working 8th igpu driver. Windows 7 runs great and is Rock Solid Stable on i3 8300 and Pentium G5400. All i had todo is put intels usb3 drivers into the boot and install wims. :p

Enjoy swallowing those words, you may need some ketchup :p
    "smug mode" is now engaged :D

Users may also want to visit mdl and win-raid as there are quite a few threads active."

Where does it say modded drivers, where? WHERE EXACTLY?
    Doesnt mention driver modding/modded drivers AT ALL. :mad:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  3. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    I can say from experience that Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 work totally fine with Ryzen 1000 and 2000 series chips. I explained in the thread how to make both series of CPUs work without issue on either OS. However, the chiplet design on Ryzen 3000 is not compatible with Windows 7 or 8.1. If you decide to try and use a Ryzen 3000 series chip on any Windows other than 10, you will experience several issues, and your OS will be totally unstable.

Clanger likes this.
  4. ryegrass

ryegrass Member

GPU:
    HD 6850
    Sorry, but you are mistaken. I am currently posting from a MSI X570 Gaming Plus Ryzen 3900X machine on Windows 7 x64 and it is perfectly stable.

5. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    Oh really, and with the chipset drivers actually installed, and verified that they installed through device manager ? I don't believe you. That was your first post too, by the way. Ryzen 3000 will not work stable on Windows 7 or 8.1. I know this from experience.

6. Clanger

Clanger Master Guru

GPU:
    igpu
    I wont be buying Ryzen but i will be trying windows 7 on intel 10th gen when it appears, hopefully the H410 chipset. 7 is better in my opinion.

7. ryegrass

ryegrass Member

GPU:
    HD 6850
    Well it appears uploads are not available on this site. So see this link as to installation and drivers.

8. ryegrass

ryegrass Member

GPU:
    HD 6850
  9. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    What a shame using windows 7 with ryzen or new gpus.

Agonist likes this.
  10. geronimo666

geronimo666 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RX Vega 56
    I don't get it. just don't read these kind of threads if it bothers you that much :rolleyes:.

I prefer win7 over latest MS spyware as do many.
    If we keep silent their BS will just become greater.
    I remember the good old PC days when stuff they do today would be unimaginable :mad:.

I run my R5 2600 with vega 56 on win7. works great. didn't notice any problems whatsoever.

I heard it doesn't work so well with 3xxx. hope that's not true :(.

regards.

Baws201 and ryegrass like this.

11. ryegrass

ryegrass Member

GPU:
    HD 6850
    So far Windows 7 has been working absolutely fine with my Ryzen 3900x and MSI X570 Gaming Plus motherboard.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    geronimo666 likes this.
  12. testcy

testcy Master Guru

GPU:
    -----
    Will I be able to install Windows 7 on B450 and RYZEN 5 1600 or RYZEN 7 2700? There are no Windows 7 drivers from the motherboard manufacturer.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Pay no heed to DW75, the chiplet design is completely transparent to the OS, theres no reason windows 7 would have issues apart from the early pcie correctable errors if the 2xxx and 1xxx worked.

14. ryegrass

ryegrass Member

GPU:
    HD 6850
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Windows® 7/10 for
    2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processor
    7th-Gen AMD A-Series Processors
    AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processor
    AMD X470 Chipset
    AMD X370 Chipset
    AMD B450 Chipset
    AMD B350 Chipset
    AMD A320 Chipset​
    Windows® 10 only for
    3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processor
    2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Processor
    AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Processor
    AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processor with Radeon™ Vega Graphics
    AMD Ryzen™ Mobile Processor with Radeon™ Vega Graphics
    AMD X399 Chipset
    AMD X570 Chipset​

16. vrstudio

vrstudio New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    My first post for the sake to report this:

I have successfully upgraded my existing Windows 7 i7/920 workstation to an AMD Ryzen 3700x on a X570 chipset motherboard using the method ryegrass described earlier (on page 1 or in the video).
    No need to reinstall Windows 7. Just follow ryegrass' recommendations in his video linked above.

Ryegrass, many thanks for these valuable instructions. Without you I would bother with Windows 10 now.

17. ryegrass

ryegrass Member

GPU:
    HD 6850
    That's great news. Windows 7 appears to run just fine on the X570 chipset. If you haven't done so already, you might want to remove all of the old i7/920 drivers from your installation so they don't cause any future problems.
    https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-easily-remove-old-drivers-from-windows/

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    there are no such drivers, windows starts the necessary cpu driver (intelppm vs amdppm) based on the kernels identification of the chips opcodes.

The one thing that may be trouble is the IRST service that will max out a core when the required intel ahci driver is not loaded.

19. ryegrass

ryegrass Member

GPU:
    HD 6850
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was referring to all the other drivers associated with vrstudio's old CPU/motherboard combination.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  20. SolelessSoul

SolelessSoul Member

GPU:
    1080 SC
    Are you guys using x470 chipset drivers with x570 and Windows 7 ?

I'm also running x570 with 3900x on Windows 7 but I'm using x470 drivers since x570 won't work for me in Win7. But with x470 my CPU idle voltage never drops below 0.92 V and Cinebench score is 9 points lower that in a Windows 10 installation om the same machine with latest x570 chipset drivers.

So what chipset drivers are you guys using? Is it possible to run x570 chipset drivers in Win 7 ??