Ryzen bios settings to enable/disable for better performance/smoothness?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Grimbarian, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Howdy,

After upgrading from my well loved fx8350 to a Ryzen 2700x on an Asus Prime X470 Pro motherboard I'm noticing a few new and unfamiliar options in the bios so wondering if there's settings well known to benefit the Ryzen to disable/enable?

I'm not at the point where I'm ready to overclock the CPU (I have done tightened timings on the RAM) and anything that benefits overall performance/boost on the CPU itself would be good to know :)

Thanks in advance :)

2. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    The most important thing is RAM speed. Most types of ram will default to 2400 MHz.
    But running ram at 3200 MHz or higher will give you a BIG boost.
    If 3200 MHz isn't possible most types of ram can do 2933 MHz with a little tweaking.
    In the BIOS on the CH7, there is some optimized memory settings for different speeds,
    made by The Stilt. They work really well out of the box with great performance.
    Just remember to change the ram speed accordingly.

I don't know what settings you have in your BIOS since I'm running a CH7.
    But if you have something called AI Overclock Tuner changing that from default to auto
    will change the BCLK from 100 to 100.6 MHz. giving you a little extra.

If you have a setting called performance bias you can play around with that as well.
    It has settings for different programs like Cinebench / Geekbench + Aida. etc.
    As far as I know the Geekbench + Aida setting optimizes the cache on the CPU
    and can be used as a general performance boost. But I haven't tested it so you will have to try
    for yourself. I do know that the using the Cinebench setting does make a difference on test scores
    when using that program.

Grimbarian likes this.
  3. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Well AI Overclock Auto broke my PC! Wouldn't post until I reset the CMOS, but I have a similar performance bias setting:

[​IMG]

Curious what if anything I should try with these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Rx4speed

Rx4speed Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 295x2
    Grim, I've had a 2700x on a x470 Crosshair VII for a long time and my experience with it shows that running most things concerning the CPU on AUTO is really the sweet spot for the 2700x. However, memory OC and timings are another story. DRAM Calculator for Ryzen is a must baseline app for memory tweaking, This app also includes tons of non-memory related settings like Load Line Cal. etc.. I have 3200/cas14 Gskill running at 3400/14 with settings mostly from that app. I'd be happy to post screenshots of all my BIOS settings if you'de like.

Grimbarian likes this.

5. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti

Sure that'd be great thanks :)