Ryzen 7 5800X3D is gonna be hard to get due to complex production stacked cache

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    NightWind likes this.
  2. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    It will not beat 12900k with tweaked Hynix DDR5 anyway, so it better be very cheap to even consider buying.

Upgrading from x370 (if supported) will be the best upgrade. From like 1600x/1700x

3. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    More bad news.
    2022 just like 2021.

Silva, BlindBison and Keitosha like this.
  4. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    While I'm excited by the 3D stacking technology this part is so poorly timed I am just not excited about it at all.

By the time its out its not far from Zen4 being released. Honestly the 5800X3D is mostly just a proof of concept or benchmark stacking skew to show AMD at the top kind of like Intel's 9900-KFC was.

Both AMD's Zen4 and Intel's Raptor Lake are about to fight it out this fall of 2022.

5. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    think about how overpriced 5800x was for quite a long time due to high demand and limited supply.
    Now picture 5800X3D is gonna be worse.Complicated,expensive production.And only one sku.
    While improving cache does work quite well,it's more like a last resort option for a company.Intel had to do the same with 5775C because of the way early 14nm turned out,amd has to because of 12th gen.

12400,12600 and 12700 are gonna sell like crazy.How amd got themselves into this situation is really mind boggling,they had the advantage in pretty much every aspect.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    Why_Me likes this.
  6. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    I`ved just read that the 3d version has 200mhz less boost than the 5800x.... I can see it being cheaper to just change my 5800x for a 5900x or wait for next gen

That being said...i`d probably be better off getting a rtx 3080 that are pretty scarce and cost more than im prepared to pay for a hobby when my 5800x/3070 do a good enough job

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  7. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Simple. AMD doesn't really care all that much about desktop chips - they can make as much money as they want on consoles that sell out as fast as they can make the chips for them and GPUs that they can sell by the pallet to crypto miners. From a business standpoint, prioritizing desktop CPUs for any reason other than improving the tech so they can put it in other things is dumb, especially when they are supply constrained on TSMC's FABs.

Intel, on the other hand, has no revenue stream other than CPUs. They *had* to prioritize making a better chip, because they needed to improve their server products, which is their main revenue stream and is now threatened by AMD for the first time in a decade. They have been stuck in supply constraints on 14nm for years now, due to their issues getting 10nm up and running. This is their first chance in 5 years to actually grow in shipments rather than just prioritizing high price models to improve revenue.

8. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    AMD doesn't make that much from the consoles actually, MS and Sony makes deals with them which doesn't give them a lot of money.

9. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    True, but before Zen, the money from this division helped keep AMD afloat.

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    What situation they are still outselling intel 12gen parts lol

kapu likes this.

11. DonMigs85

DonMigs85 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3070 Ventus
    I currently have the vanilla 5800X so it's not really worth upgrading to this. Was hoping for a 5900X3D. This is sort of turning out to be the Radeon VII of Ryzen 5000 chips.

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    What situation? Competing products and back and forth competition like it's supposed to be? Not sure i understand the "situation" you think AMD is in.

Intel has a lot of other revenue streams other then CPUs....

AuerX and Solfaur like this.
  13. kill007

kill007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF
    Erm....not really sure what situation they got into. AMD has had the upper ground, and 12th gen has provided some solid competition. It makes no sense to release something now on the old AM4, when they can focus all attention on AM5. This 3D approach is just something they just threw out there, i doubt many will upgrade straight onto that (those in 5xxx)
    Its just here, but i am more excited to see the next AM5 vs Raptor path.

Either way, as consumers i am loving this level of competition, i am also looking forward to AMD's next GPU release as well.

AMD is fine, Intel is fine, nvidia is fine. None of them are any in "situation" as you described.

Venix likes this.
  14. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    @cucaulay malkin what situation ? They still do well on gaming and they had it for months and with the 5950x they never lost productivity as well so the situation is they lost the gaming crown for few months .... The situation is that they still keep overcharging us for their chips and they sell em still .witch is sad.

15. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    lol, some funny comments.

using pcpartpicker/prime/microcenter, i have build over 5 rigs in the past 2y without paying more than the usual +- fluctuations,
    most at msrp (incl 3800x/3800xt/5800x), and more than a handful components even below,
    incl that i had no problems getting parts.
    so no, except for scalpers, stuff isnt overpriced/not in stock, like some make it out to be.

but thinking that amd makes money with desktop cpus? right :D

and anyone saying this chip doesnt make sense to buy:
    you gonna give me/others the money to buy a new cpu/board to switch to intel?
    no? then let the user decide, that is paying for it.

Celcius likes this.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    How exactly are they overcharging for CPUs?

17. Pryme

Pryme Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800 SWFT
    I dont think AMD is overcharging on all range of products, but prices went up on medium range of AM4 CPUs, and now their representation on that segment is very weak, where now Intel is becoming stronger with CPUs like 10400F/11400F/12400F at very good price. My R5 2600 was 120€ in 2020 and for that price was really a great buy back then and still kicking today. 5 years ago was the same with both companies, just reversed.

olymind1 and Why_Me like this.
  18. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Even though i have a very good 5800X that can reach 5ghz on many of the cores i still may just sell it and get one of these since i'm gonna be stuck on AM4 for the foreseeable future.

I wanted a 5900X but at the time they weren't available. With my 3090 i think there's room for a good fps increase with the 5800X3D version, but we'll have to wait and see the HH comparison between the two.

That's if i can get one and at a fair price.

19. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    lol
    maybe the one where they don't even have anything in the sub 250eur segment
    no answer for i3, none for 12400
    5600x and 5800x are beaten in performance,price,core count and pcie version by 12600 and 12700
    and as a response they're releasing 5800X3D that's gonna be hard to get.

what situation :rolleyes:

Why_Me likes this.
  20. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    True. Oem market gona save 12th gen tho.