Ryzen 7 2700 - VMware Workstation 14

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by v6mim, Jun 7, 2018.

1. v6mim

v6mim Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1060
    Hi all,

I am thinking to buy a ryzen 7 2700 cpu and I will use it mainly for virtualization.
    Any feedback using vmware workstation 14 with this cpu? I will use to virtualize Cisco CSR 1000v VMs.

Thanks.

2. germz1986

germz1986 Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070
    I have toyed around with VM Player using my R5 1600x. Mostly just desktop linux and Windows guests. I have windows 10 as host. Everything works well and is quite fast. Hope this helps.

v6mim likes this.
  3. v6mim

v6mim Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1060
    Thanks for the reply.
    Good to know but unfortunately Cisco CSR1000v VMs use a particular linux kernel so I am not 100% sure if it works on AMD systems...
    If possible, could you try booting one with your setup on vmware workstation pro 14 trial?
    https://mega.nz/#!F58jWDxD!kS2zEvsI9YLjISWhWmG1iYcBLeqH7LacFPk7XSqUZQQ I uploaded the ISO file.

And these are the steps to do on vmware:

- create new virtual machine
    - select custom (advanced)
    - select "installer disc image file" and select the cisco csr1000v iso file
    - guest operating system, select Linux - Version Kernel 3.x 64bit
    - select a folder where to save the VM
    - Processor configuration - Number of processors "2" and Number of cores per processor "2" it is enough as a test.
    - Memory for Virtual Machine at least 3GB, 4GB is better.
    - Network Type NAT is fine for a quick test
    - Disk Type IDE (Recommended)
    - Select "Create new virtual disk" -> Maximum disk size 8GB -> Store virtual disk as single file

then Finish.

At this point you should be able to start the VM... the VM will boot and you will see some POST messages like "SHA-1 hash
    calculated and expected" etc..
    Usually it takes up to 5 minutes and if you see the "GRUB Loading stage press any key to continue" just ignore it.
    The router is ready when you will see "Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]