Ryzen 5800X low performance

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Angmar84, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Angmar84

Angmar84 New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    Guys,

I'm having some trouble here...I recently upgraded my pc from a Core i7 7700k to a Ryzen 5800x and everything seems to be working ok but when I run any performance test I'm getting very low results. I have DDR4 3000 and have PBO enabled and I'm seeing all core boost in Cinebench r23 of 4.5 and 4.8 in single core. My temps are fine and not going above 72c as I'm running a negative offset of .13 volts. My cinebench r23 multi score is 12853 and my single core score is 1327. I'm using an Asus TUF x570 Gaming Plus motherboard with the latest 3402 bios. Windows 10 also is fully updated.

My scores seem wayyyy lower than any reviews or scores others have posted. I don't understand what the problem is. I tried loading optimized defaults and just enabling PBO and I'm still getting similar scores.

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Ram does not effect the cinebench scores thst much so it cant be it unless your not using your xmp profile. You should be getting around 15k range with 5800x. Use the default settings with pbo.

3. Scorpio_ASC

Scorpio_ASC Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    So what's the effective core clock during that cb23 run?
    dont know if infinity fabric has any effect on that score, but maybe try running it higher? maybe loosen the timings on the ram and go 3600/1800 if you can

4. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5600XT G. MX
    I just did a run with my 5800x and my score with 4.6@1.265mv all core clock was 15572 and single core was 1514. Also 4.6 sustained. (I have used the new ClockTuner v2.0 R3 to achieve that.)

Something is wrong for sure.

I am new to Ryzen myself, so, other than what Undying suggested, I can't think of much else.

5. Angmar84

Angmar84 New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    When running an all core cinebench r23 run it never drops below 4.5 ghz. Sometimes it's 4,500 sometimes its 4525 or 4550 it just fluctuates around those 3 clock speeds during the run on all cores.

6. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Maha Guru

GPU:
    and still such low scores at 4.55G ?
    you sure you've memory profile enabled and it isn't running something like 2133 ? or your fclk isn't running 1/2 ratio ?

7. Angmar84

Angmar84 New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    Ok so I put my voltage back on auto and now the cpu is getting significantly higher scores. I don't know if there is something about Ryzen 5000 overclocking that i'm not aware of? This doesn't make sense because now with the voltage being so high I'm only boosting to around 4.4 ghz but I scored in cinebench r23 14580 instead of 12853. That is a significant increase in performance that while still seeming a little low is at least in the ballpark of what it is supposed to be. My CPU-Z benchmark score jumped up equally high as well....I don't know I will try to do some research.

Also- I verified that my memory was running at 3000mhz and the fabric is running at 1500mhz

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  8. Edvis

Edvis Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3070 OC
    Hi Angmar

I got same issue with my 5800X and same Mobo
    In stock settings, I got awful scores, I don't understand!
    If you have any clue.... ;)

9. Edvis

Edvis Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3070 OC
    What are your CPUZ score without OC ?

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    It was the same on 3xxx CPUs.
    Dropping the voltage and still working ok makes you think the clock speed stays the same but it doesnt, even when many utils say the clocks havent changed. A pita to new users.
    However, its a great simple way to underclock/reduce power+heat with these chips.

I had the same on my 3600 chip, I marvelled how much it would undervolt until it was pointed out by a few people I should run Cinebench to see the scores will have dropped.
    They were right, and the true clock speed was lower. Cant remember what I used to get the true clock speed tho...

11. Edvis

Edvis Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3070 OC
    Here is my CPUZ bench
    When I look at Ryzen master, my cpu clock are low, it should reach 5050 on the best core righ? I can notice than my 2 best cores #8 and #2 are not prioritized when single core bench are used... I' so lost with this Ryzen!!

Attached Files:

12. Angmar84

Angmar84 New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    If anyone else runs into a similar issue I fixed it by using the curve optmizer to lower voltage instead of just setting a blanket - offset via voltage settings.

13. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    -0.13 offset is way too much. Do not go past -0.05 or the results will start to go way down; as you experienced. Either use CTR to under volt the cpu or just let it do its thing. Just keep in mind that if you use that manual offset, do not go beyond that -0.05.

14. mais4u

mais4u Member

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT
    Version
    2017.1 (x64)
    Single-Thread
    Multi-Thread (16T)

just by disabling PBO all together in bios.

15. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti
    Voltage offsets dont work the same way they do on Intel. You were likely seeing clock stretching. AMD takes a while to learn how to overclock because its nothing like Intel.