Ryzen 5600X - Voltage question.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Smokey25, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+
    I just switched over from a 2600X to a 5600X. The first thing i did was disabling Core boost + Precision boost,cus ive read it runs very hot on a stock cooler with it enabled. I havent touch voltage or LLC. So it's running at a constant 3.7ghz or at Idle at 3.6. Noticed massive improvements in everything i do,some games have double the fps in certain scenarios eventhough my 2600x ran at 4.2ghz mostly. The thing im wondering about is that my Vcore is showing to run at 0.9V and doesnt get higher under full load neither,it idles at around 38c and the max temp ive seen in games is 50c It doesnt crash or show weird behaviour neither.My 2600x was using about 1.45 while idling and could hit 1.5 even. Ive read that most 5600x run at 1.35 - 1.45. Im on a stock cooler. How the hell is this possible ? Its not a wrong read because it shows the same in Bios + Cpu-z and Hwinfo etc.

https://imgur.com/a/6CbvpYg
    Msi tomahawk b450 on the latest bios, using all the latest drivers aswell.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  2. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    id leave them on tbh, these cpu's do run warm, but it handles its boosts quite well to accomodate. play around with negative offsets in curve optimiser.

3. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+
    I know it runs better with them enabled,that wasnt my question. I already notice huge improvements with everything i do so i see no need to let it run to 4.7ghz while adding 20 - 30c ontop. I might do that later when i have a proper cooler. Im just really wondering how my voltage can be so low.

Im also on a 970gtx,which is quite a bottleneck atm. Performance so far is absolutely amazing though,ive just never seen a Vcore run this low. Is it normal behaviour for this cpu with Core boost + PB disabled ? Check the link pls.

4. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    Update your chipset drivers and make sure HWinfo is too.

5. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+

I'm on the latest drivers. Ive tried several older versions aswell as the older bios but everything reads the same. Hence the question, how is this cpu able to run at 0.9V at 3.7ghz with no stability issues whatsoever ? I just dont understand it coming from a 2600x where i couldnt even lower my Vcore below 1.4 or it became unstable. Everything i run is great,no crashes no strange behaviour. I did some cpu stress tests today and the absolute highest temp i saw was 56c,thats pretty insane. Currently im playing Destiny 2,maxed out and my temps are around 40 - 48c,im just amazed.

Would be great if theres anyone around owning a 5600x who wants to try and disable Precision boost + Coreboost and show me his results.

6. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    I don't think turning off PBO or core boost would make it run that low I think you're readings are wrong some how. Or do the voltages go up when you turn those on?

Edit:

FWIW my 3700X runs at 3600(it's base) at .9v but when boosting it's all over the place like expected.

7. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+
    I;m 100% sure my readings are right,it shows the same in every application and in bios aswell. Currently im using PBO + Coreboost to see the difference and now its idling at 0.950 and boosting to max 1.425 at 4.6ghz,max temps so far are 64c. All the readings seem to be correct.

8. Pictus

Pictus Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5600 XT
    Asus B550 TUF Gaming + 5600X + lapped Akasa Venom Medusa.
    CPU voltage = auto
    VSOC = 1.1V
    cLDO VDDP = 0.900V
    VDDG CCD = 0.940V
    VDDG IOD = 1.030V

Curve Optimize per core, the offset:
    (I used this script to find the values.)
    Core 0 = -25
    Core 1 = -15
    Core 2 = -10
    Core 3 = -25
    Core 4 = -25
    Core 5 = -25

PBO limits:
    PPT = 100
    TDC = 60 (default)
    EDC = 90 (default)
    Scalar = 1x

When using y-cruncher the first test(BKT) for 1 cycle(press 1 and 0).
    Core 2 gets 1.239V, I do not want more than 1.250V per core...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    akbaar and Smokey25 like this.
  9. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    @Smokey25 not sure point of thread. AMD CPU's are very good on lower clock speeds compared to Intel.
    Your 5600X seems normal and your voltages are not low unless I totally missed the point your trying to make.I also have 5600X
    just not using it in my PC gaming PC at the moment.

Damm my 2600X 1.30v @4250 Max 63℃ on CPU encode ,good but normal

5800X 1.29v @4800Mhz Cinebench run 72.5 ℃ better than average but still good

Smokey25 likes this.
  10. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+
    Thanks so much for the replies Pictus and bob. The entire point of the thread was just because im not familair with these newer gen Ryzens and ive read on several sites that they just run really hot and saw people complain about high Vcore usage 1.4 - 1.5 while idling. Coming from my 2600x i also had these high voltages so i was kinda worrying about high temps on this cpu hence i had Pb and Coreboost disabled by default ( WIth Amazing idle and load temps ) . Seeing these voltages are normal behaviour i have PB and Coreboost enabled again. Temps are obviously a bit higher but i still havent seen it hit above 67c yet under full load on a stock cooler,Vcore max is so far 1.4250. My performance is through the roof compared my old cpu.

Im just really impressed by this cpu's performance and low voltages. :)

Thanks again for the replies so i know my system is running fine and the voltages are normal.

bobnewels likes this.

11. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    The AMD Ryzen 5xxx's are very good CPU's and the default idle voltage is up to 1.5v in idle depending on Motherboard and Agesa BIOS. The more load put on the CPU the voltage adjust accordingly.

Here is a video you may want to check out,Ryzen 5000 Precision Boost Overdrive 2 Guide

AMD CPU Thermal Expectations if interested
    AMD-Temp-Chart.jpg

akbaar and Smokey25 like this.