Ryzen 4000 rumors: Allegedly can offer an up-to 20 percent extra perf over Ryzen 3000

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    games on cpu side (physics, IA, or just simple things like camera projections , etc), every multimedia software like enconding and decoding audio, pictures and videos, scientifics software.. oh the calculator.. yeah very limited, specially since the x87 FPU is no more used outside legacy 32-bit software or ad hoc intrinsics calls on 64-bit software. PS: the SIMD instructions cover both FP and integer operations.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    Carfax and bobblunderton like this.
  2. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5700 8GB
  3. Lcc

Lcc Member

GPU:
    RIVA TNT 2 32mb
    I'm happy with my b450 + r5 3600x until the next socket ( am4 + ddr5 ) appears.

Maddness likes this.
  4. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    ^^ THIS, Entirely this.
    If they get 50% improvement on FPU or anywhere close to this, SO MANY things are just going to STOMP all over and SMEAR intel right off the charts.
    Not everything mind you, but that would really be SWEET as I do a lot of modding for BeamNG.Drive and that's ALL physics based and 100% slams the FPU. My Ryzen 3700x not only costs less than my old 4790k did new in 2014, it also runs absolute circles around it. Sure the single-core speed (if newer instructions are not used) isn't that big of a boost, but the content creation on here is PHENOMENALLY better. Sometimes as much as 4~5x the speed such as file zip or unzip operations, working with graphics, converting models, and running lots of traffic in BeamNG Drive.
    It's an amazing difference currently for me, not to mention that what 50% more FPU performance would do. That'd mean up to 24~30 vehicles VS the 15~21 I can currently run (at 40~20fps average respectively).
    All that stuff above is so true I would even call it an understatement. Even YOUTUBE or NETFLIX uses the FPU - all the encoded video you view on the web uses it. All the H.265/H.264 stuff is all FPU based and heavy multi-media extension use (which again is fpu based). The future is physics in games.
    If that's what they deliver, or even 25~30% more fpu performance, I'll buy one the day it's available.
    Hooray for competition!

Carfax likes this.

5. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Yeah SIMD performance is extremely important these days as more and more software uses it. In fact, I would say SIMD is a large part of how x86-64 CPUs have become so dominant over the years, especially in HPC and database. Both AMD and Intel design their CPUs around heavy use of SIMD instructions.

If Zen 3 has a 50% boost in FPU, they may have added a third AVX2 unit. If it were AVX-512, the performance gain would be higher I think.

6. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Just because doing simple floating point math does run through the SSE register these days does not really make it proper "SIMD" (Single Instruction Multiple Data, there is no "multiple data" when just using it as a replacement for x87) and is unlikely to get significantly faster, and while some games do use SIMD, in-depth use is still rather rare.

In any case, as you may have noticed I did acknowledge that SIMD improvements are nice, but making up some average IPC from specialized improvements is just pure marketing. "Average IPC increase of 20%", of which a huge chunk is FPU improvements, does that mean an average application is going to run 20% faster? Not very likely. Some may run no faster at all, and some may benefit exceptionally well from that 50% FPU. Just present the details, don't create fake hype with numbers like "20% extra performance", AMD is already suffering from overhyping every new generation.

7. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    To be correct, Video encoding/decoding is based on Integers, not Floating Point. If you use a software decoder, it'll still make good use of SSE/AVX, but with Integer units, not Floating Point.
    But, unless your system has a very old graphics card for some reason, you are far more likely to be decoding video on the GPU instead.

8. fry178

fry178 Maha Guru

GPU:
    FTW Hybrid 2080S
    @AATT
    why?
    @3600 im getting 50GB/s.
    you need more?

9. wavetrex

wavetrex Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    - Increased IPC - Checked !
    - Increased clocks - Checked ! (even if just a bit)
    - Unified cache (so little to no thread jumping penalty) - Checked !
    - Even more power efficient - Checked !

If people considered 3000 series as good, the 4000 will blow their socks off !

angelgraves13 likes this.
  10. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Will it be on am4 socket,?

11. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    To really make use of wider vectors like AVX2 and AVX-512, you need lots of memory bandwidth. So no, 50 GB/s isn't nowhere near enough.

12. nizzen

nizzen Maha Guru

GPU:
    3x2080ti/5700x/1060
    So what about memorylatency?
    One of the things that have great impact in performance in many FPS games.

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Rather have AMD finish it and have a fully working firmware at release.

This from a person who bought a 1st gen Ryzen and now upgraded to 3rd gen.

Very much like the CPUs but AMD is not doing themselves favours by rushing out releases.
    Granted you cannot foresee everything but the launch version of AGESA was barely usable (and only now are we nearing a "final" status for Combo AM4 AGESA).

14. butjer1010

butjer1010 Active Member

GPU:
    Asus RX5700 XT
    i agree with that!

15. butjer1010

butjer1010 Active Member

GPU:
    Asus RX5700 XT
    In 3 out of 100 let me say tests, is not enough to say intel still beats AMD. Not to mention that AMD now have 16/32 core/thread CPU, while intel is still on 8/16 (i did not include here XEs and threadrippers, there is difference even bigger for AMD). I am very subjective (biggest AMD fanboy ever in history), but i waited many Years so i can claim that AMD is kicking Intels butt right now :) - in desktop segment.

16. butjer1010

butjer1010 Active Member

GPU:
    Asus RX5700 XT
    Yes, i forgot this, thats true, but this is mainly because most Adobe plug-inns are using only 1 core.

17. blacknova

blacknova Member

GPU:
    RX480
    What I'd like to know is if I'd be able to put zen 3 CPU into my current X370 mobo, but that is not up to AMD to answer...

18. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    I'm getting weak in the knees thinking about it lol

19. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    STRIX GTX 1080
    This will be on a x670 chipset PCIE 4.0 and the last AM4 socket cpu from AMD.

mohiuddin likes this.
  20. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    If we are dreaming can we also say it will work in a x370 board.