Ryzen 4000 desktop processors moved to 5nm+ process and released in late 2020

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 29, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    DeskStar, Maddness and Embra like this.
  2. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Blimey, Juggernaut AMD.

DeskStar, jbscotchman and varkkon like this.
  3. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    ayy

-intel personnel now caving a trench by furiously circling around

btw why would an increase from 4c to 8c CCX entail a more "monolitic" design? wouldnt that just mean a doubling of cores across the entire lineup? perhaps thats thanks to now targeting a die shrink thanks to 5nm, but it sounds kinda late to pull that off, or perhaps AMD is even more magical than we think!

anyway just trying to imagine a 4100x being an 8c 16t cpu is mind bogglingly optimistic, but who knows

4. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Well that was unexpected. 5nm this year maybe. Like HH said probably late 2020 early 2021.

Plus only having CCX with 8 cores could work. They could have from 8 cores upto 64 cores.

Bottom chip could be 8 cores no HT. 4600X could be 8 core 16 threads quite easy for them i feel.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    varkkon likes this.

5. varkkon

varkkon Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1080 Ti
    Insane if this turns out to be true! I love AMD, they are a remarkable company and their CPU journey has been a historical event and continues to be one for the entire industry as a whole. Just really appreciative to see it happen and be a part of it.

Also I got to say I really love My 1950x it has been an awesome investment. I can't even imagine where AMD will be in 2021 when all the DDR5, PCIe 5, 5nm+, etc will drop, it's going to be crazy times... well we already have insane times in regards to PC tech. 2020 is turning out to be one heck of a year for the PC \m/ :) \m/ !

jbscotchman and Maddness like this.
  6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn : Is given article written by you? It gives rather confused vibe. Maybe a coffee should be in queue.

Move to 5nm+ (whatever that means, since it is not how TSMC names it) is unlikely because it takes time to prepare, test, re-do.
    On other hand, while all 7nm capacity is pretty crowded, this may have smaller utilization.

Then Zen2+ being mentioned while not even being on roadmap. (Zen+ was on roadmap and AMD did talk about it quite some time before release.)

[​IMG]
    Technically, AMD needs to expand capability (and merge) parts that govern 4 cores at same time to be able to manage 8 cores at same time instead.
    We have seen this move in RDNA already.

Then we have already seen difference (even clock to clock) between 3100 and 3300X which is 2+2 cores per CCX in one CCD vs 4+0 cores per CCX in one CCD.
    I am pretty sure that AMD had that as eye opening realization. And maybe one of reasons why there were "leaks" of higher than expected IPC uplift for Zen3.

Lastly, I'll add little chaos myself:
    Who's to say that AMD, which likes to slide older generations of APUs into newer lines, is not going to refresh APUs on given 5nm+ mentioned? Desktops/Servers are doing fine as they are.
    But AMDs re-entry to laptops, while quite successful, is still tiny and has a lot of unconquered space. (Like 95%.)

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    Maddness and JonasBeckman like this.
  7. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    I guess that would make sense with the mention of the XT CPU rumors. Push out XT this year and wait until early 2021 for 4K series at 5nm. Not happy with that since I was hoping to to drop a 4K CPU in my X570 this year (pending reviews of course). 5nm and new arch could be amazing, but how long into 2021 will that be? There's more to the story here. Either 7nm+ isn't up to snuff per the IPC improvement rumors, or they had some kind of early breakthrough on the foundation side and it makes sense to wait. This makes me think 7nm+ was a bust in terms of IPC performance rumors, or they didn't have the new arch ready in time. XT might end up being the stop-gap on the same arch with slightly higher frequencies, and 5nm will be the 15% increase, but 6 months later than expected. Pure speculation on my part, but I don't like it so far.

8. cpy2

cpy2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Ti 4600
    Hell yea! Next gaming PC will surely use AMD CPU and not some millionth rehash of 14nm++++++++++++++ intel heater.

Then again it happened once before. Then intel came with core architecture that he reused so much that AMD came ahead. Good guys AMD.

9. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    If it turns to be true. I'll just upgrade my 3700X, even if I don't need to. I love when technology accelerates leaving the milking away. And that deserves my charity :)

10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The in-development Ryzen 4000's are somehow being moved to a smaller process like less than half a year to release?
    Doubtful but what do I know, maybe if they push it back but that's still a lot of work on the 7nm whatever process they were on that would be lost and it's not like they could just use that to re-spin the 3000's XT refreshes.

Interesting though but seems more like something to come for the new processor and chips following Zen3 and the Ryzen 4000's as a new start post AM4 here and all that might lead to and allow for without worries about backwards compatibility.

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I'll get one for sure :)

vestibule likes this.
  12. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The 8-core CCX is a given at this point, it has been on AMD presentations for EPYC for almost a year. The real questions are about Infinity Fabric, and the amount of cache. And of course the recent rumor that AMD might be skipping 7nm altogether for the 4000 series and going directly to TSMC 5nm, just a quarter later.

tunejunky likes this.
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This is a breakdown in communication.

The only Ryzen 4k processors that will be 5nm are the mobile variants.

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I smell a time traveller in that title!

15. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Depending how big the chiplets will end up assuming they will keep the same amount of chiplets on each category that would mean up to 32 cores for mainstream and up to 128 for hedt if they indeed move to 8 core ccx dunno 32 core sound unlikely on the other hand when ryzen 1 released i do not think many expected 16 core on the next arch not before the first delided cpu lisa showed of zen 2 so we will see , or they might do 24 core to maximize yields and drop 32 on zen 3+

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Source link redirects to guru3d.com

Yeah... well I hope they don't have to postpone their launch to 2021, I wanted to upgrade around the change of the year, and with availability being the culprit with such a release...
    And, also, I hope they pack a nice punch, would love to upgrade to an AMD system asap.

17. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Seems official mate, read the title of this thread, Ryzen 3 moves to 5nm+

18. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    This is JUST a rumor - nothing official from AMD - the point of origin is a twitter account from some "retired engineer" and also him acknowledged that this is a rumor...
    Come on Guru3D you are better than this...- at least put a "Rumor" in the title...

[​IMG]

19. kviksand81

kviksand81 Member

GPU:
    ASUS VEGA 56 STRIX
    There were already public talks in 2019 about when 5 nm was to move into volume production capability. This means that AMD has probably had this information on TSMC's expected timeline for 5 nm a bit longer and hence have had the intention the whole time to go for 5 nm for Zen 3. For competitive reasoning, it makes perfect sense for AMD not to disclose too early, that Zen 3 would move to 5 nm and perhaps the comming up XT models will be on the 7 nm+ node. If this proves to be the case, AMD may know that they are sufficiently competitive, if not leading, at all metrics. In turn, this puts AMD in a favourable position in terms of controlling the timing of Zen 3 launch at 5 nm.

Concerning the move to 8-core CCXs is probably just a natural consequence of going to 5 nm and may be an efficient way to further dispatch Intels return, where they (intel) are currently having a hard time pushing out competitive products at competitive prices. By controlling the trend of increasing core count may be a smart move from AMD, as long as Intel does not have an efficient measure to combat this trend. It's effectively a way to gain control of how the market that uses compute power develops their products and doing so will amplify AMDs market grip further, as long as Intel doesn't rise to that particular part of the challenge.

Interesting times indeed...

tunejunky likes this.
  20. Lebon30

Lebon30 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070Ti 8GB
    I don't like this at all. I was waiting for it to build my next PC that's going to replace my current 10yo rig... I don't to wait until next year :(