Ryzen 4000 and X670 scheduled for late 2020

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 6, 2019.

1. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I thought AMD was on track with Zen3 for a release in the first half of 2020?

Edit: Did a little research. This news came from the Chinese site MyDrivers which is the same site that is saying AMD will be using a third party for chipsets.At this point I'm inclined not to believe any of this but if it does turn out true I will trust them in the future on AMD related rumors. Neither of these rumors makes a lot of since to me because once you make your own chipset you have already incurred the costs and its not like the next gen will have a generational feature like PCIe 4.0 etc. I think I am left believing AMD will have Ryzen 4000 out in the first half of 2020 and will still make their own chipset but hopefully on TSMC's old 7nm process so passive cooling can be used.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  2. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 3080
    I was aiming for a summer upgrade... I guess ill wait a little longer after all :shrug:

3. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    If its VIA maybe, but never the asmedia sata/usb driver stuff, always messed with my rig vs other brands making similar chips.

The x570 i have is enough unless they release boards with 4 or 5 nvme slots that cost sub 300.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  4. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Not much of an issue. They hit a home run with the Ryzen 3000 series and Intel won't be able to counter for a while (their HEDT products can barely keep up with consumer Ryzen, and Threadripper is on another level entirely). The bigger issue is getting Ryzen into more markets as they are largely limited to the DIY market at this time.

fry178 and jbscotchman like this.

5. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
  6. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    It can't because of BIOS, but early beta version of bioses of B450 and X470 were abble to get PCIe 4.0 on PCIe and/or M2... but not on every board and they have some complication.
    Some were limited to M2, some only on PCIe, some were in 4.0 but doesn't have the speed of the 4.0, some can't get any and some chipset over heating when using PCIe 4.0
    At the end they removed the ability before getting official.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Well, they're also smart enough to not repeat Intel's history by sitting around waiting for the competition to catch up. If Intel ever manages to make something more compelling than AMD (which would include price point), I don't think there's much at all AMD could do to outpace them; they'd just end up being the budget option again. So, AMD needs to do everything they can to continue improving their brand image, their marketshare, and in turn, their revenue.

carnivore, fry178, airbud7 and 2 others like this.
  8. DG21

DG21 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti WF Extreme
    I'd really like to have a 3950X for Vegas Pro, but I hope that I can wait one more year, when the IOD shrunk to 7nm to make way for one more chiplet @7nm+.

So we'll hopefully find a 4960X for socket AM4 with 24 cores @125W TDP...

For 1 grand, sth. like this would be a hard bargin for team blue. :)

(sorry, if slightly OT)

9. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I dunno, I think AMD's decade-long period of irrelevance was largely their own doing - like NetBurst before it, FX was a huge mistake. As long as they don't make such mistakes in the future, they should be alright. Intel also had a fab advantage before but they no longer do now (we can thank Apple and/or smartphones for that). Of course I agree that AMD shouldn't let their guard down, but things have changed.

10. Ambient

Ambient Member

GPU:
    AMD you are da BEST!

11. Viliu Olariu

Viliu Olariu New Member

GPU:
    rtx2080ti ventus gp
    I was right to buy ryzen 5 3600 with x570 mb. The difference in perf for gaming at 1440p monitor paired with rtx 2080ti (where i game on) on the highest cpu is on average 5% with more than double the price. I thought it doesnt worth it since i was expecting a new gen of cpu's. Now all i hope is that is going to be compatible to x570, if not , well is still not a big investment so i wont loose much on upgrade

anticupidon likes this.
  12. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    According to some leaks left and right, there will not be an increase in core counts with 4000 series, but each core could get considerably faster
    +15% IPC possible due to much better cache subsystem, and other architecture improvements, but also higher clocks due to 7nm+ EUV process, might even hit that magical 5ghz with the new node on their highest end AM4, 16-core 4950X

Also, reducing memory latency by another 5-10 ns will put Zen 3 firmly in the lead even in the nasty gaming scenarios where 9900K is still winning today.

geogan likes this.
  13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    But... but I want to upgrade... #feelsbadman

14. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @Viliu Olariu You will be able to upgrade on X570 platform, and rest assured, without going broke.

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Yes, AMD's irrelevance was their own doing, but I think you missed my point: Undying was basically saying that if Ryzen 4000 is later than preferred/expected, that wouldn't be a big deal because they're currently ahead of the game. So, my point was that AMD shouldn't "pull an Intel" and wait for Intel to make a response. This is especially true considering Intel isn't that far behind, and, they have the money to gain a momentum that AMD might not be able to compete with.
    This is probably why AMD released a 32-core Threadripper. They know it's not going to sell well. It's overkill and as a whole is an unnecessary product. But the point was basically to assert dominance over the performance throne. The fact Intel's response to it was a rebranded CPU at half the price was actually working in AMD's favor, because it shows Intel struggling for relevance and their price-gouging tendencies. But, AMD's brand image still isn't good enough. They need to crush Intel in every market. They're almost there, but not quite.

AMD isn't going to make the Bulldozer mistake twice, so, they'll never become irrelevant to that degree again. But, if Intel releases a major architecture update on 10nm (or smaller), that could bring AMD to the same position they were in during the Core2 days.

fry178 likes this.

16. Dazz

Dazz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Putting it into quarters does sound long but AMD is not on a 12 month product cycle it's more like 14 month.

17. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    You're right, I mixed Ryzen 4000 with Zen. 4.

Silva likes this.
  18. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    Well, if that's the case then this could be a real contender for a new build of mine next year, but not sure I want to wait that long, it could also depend when NVidia launch their 3000 series....but I suppose I could just buy a 3000 series GPU and stick it in my current rig if they launch earlier, then I can be relaxed about when I update the platform. I always wanted to get another GPU pairing with my 6700K, so that would be a pyschological bonus, but I feel the pairing wouldn't last long together. AMD winning gaming accolades is when I'll be jumping aboard, high refresh rate gaming is my PC hobby so that's why I'm Intel at the moment.

EDIT: I also hope AMD don't price gouge if they become gaming king...I'd like to see their same great value carry through....and then Intel would have to step into line.

19. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    Still waiting on B550, because **** 40 mm Fans in 2019.

20. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    @Robbo9999
    As long as its above 1080p, fps is not a problem on ryzen

@TheDeeGee
    A fan that never runs if set on balanced when cpu is LC, or on silent profile when air cooled.
    You complain a non existing issue on hw you don't even have.
    Lol