Ryzen 3700x help

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by emperorsfist, Oct 22, 2019.

1. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Hello.

I'm preparing a new CPU/MOBO/RAM combo for my PC, and am eyeing the new Ryzen 3700x (Intel has old stuff at this point in time, and is too pricey if I want to keep hyperthreading). Thing is, I have little experience with AMD CPUs, so I'd like to ask for some help. What MB and RAM would you recommend? For RAM, I've can get Kingston's HyperX Predator 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200 or 3333 at a cheaper price (~105$, but can't dawdle) - I've been purchasing RAM from Kingston for a long time and had mostly positive experience with them. What about the MB? Some people referred me to Gigabyte's X570 Aorus Elite or MSI's B450 Gaming Pro Carbon. This is also the price range that I'd like to not cross (you can always go up when it comes to components, but the wallet always gives limits...)

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Lots of answers, and all of them can be or not relevant.
    First, you need to set a budget and/or a specific purpose of this build.
    Then we can pinpoint some advice.
    But keep in mind that for Ryzen RAM is important.
    Choose Samsung's B-Die (you have cash to burn) Micron E-die( affordable) of go dirt cheap with Hynix.

3. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Thanks for the reply. The main intent of this build is work and gaming (my main source of entertainment after work). I work a desk job, so I' mostly covered on this side, but videogames are my passion. I'm not of high income, but I always buy something (when it comes to cpu/mb/ram combos) that can last me a while (5 years or more). Budget-vise, my country uses it's own currency, but in $, the budget is around 660$ for these three. The mentioned parts above fit into this (that's why I mentioned the HyperX sticks being a bit more affordable now). Also, 3700x is something I'm set on getting.

4. GarrettL

GarrettL Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2070S
    I just upgraded to the x570 platform. Like others have said, any good quality 3200 DDR4 RAM will work. No need for higher speeds to get good results.

I would highly recommend the Asus TUF Gaming motherboard if available in your area. The non-wifi version is about the same price as the Gigabyte Aorus Elite.

If your looking to get the most for your money then I'd suggest the x570 over the older motherboards as it's the platform that's the most "future-proof".

Like you I wanted a PC that's going to last a few years before needing more money thrown at it. The x570 and 3800x provide an extremely snappy and fast PC that plays games very smoothly.

It was a sad day when I retired recently the i7 920 as my gaming platform. It was great for gaming for almost 8 years. I hope to get similar longevity from the AMD x570. So far I love it!

airbud7, emperorsfist and cryohellinc like this.

5. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/GTX 1060
    emperorsfist likes this.
  6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Well, things are clearer now.
    Mobo: For longevity, X570 is the best bet. For budget builds, B450/X470 with good VRMs. Bullzoid has something to say on this, choose wisely.

X570 Boards Around $200ish
    ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus
    Gigabyte X570 Elite
    Gigabyte X570 I Pro WiFi

X570 Boards Around $300ish
    ASRock X570 Taichi
    Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra

RAM, as @GarrettL said, any 3200 DDRAM will do. But you can always have an edge by buying smart, choosing Micron E-Die. Their E-Die is the middle ground for the price/performance ratio. This is HH article on it, https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/ballistix-sport-lt-ddr4-3200-mhz-2x8-gb-review,1.html

CPU: this is where we can get so much controversy. Like you, I am set on buying the 3700X, which for me is the smart choice, octa-core CPU in a 65W package. But things are layered, to say it simply. Some users complained about high temperatures and some about high idle voltages, but this could be more motherboard's fault (AGESA firmware is still "cooked" by AMD).
    Gamer Nexus put it simply: "The AMD Ryzen 7 3700X is an 8C/16T processor, as is the Ryzen 7 3800X, with the only difference being stock clock speeds for base and boost speeds. There is no physical difference between the two processors, but the $70 difference is real and primarily nets a higher stock clock".
    3700X will suffice for some time, and for gaming and productivity is a very good choice.

No word on PSU/VGA. Don't skimp on the PSU - is the Guru3d's credo. Get a new PSU for this build, avoid reusing older PSU. But this is debatable, choose wisely what powers your components.
    VGA- now this is unknown variable. Could you give us something about it?

airbud7 and emperorsfist like this.
  7. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
    High voltages are settled pretty much with abba. No issues here now, idling around 1/1.1v and sometimes lower.

I concur the x570 tuf, should be a good solid bet, although Asus RMA is long winded and poor.

Don't bother with the MSI 450, especially if it isn't a max version for Ryzen 3x, the bios will be castrated.

I have read there may be a cheaper 65w 39xx CPU on the horizon. If you are still in the planning stage.

8. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Many thanks to all, and especially your exhaustive post! I completely forgot to mention my PSU. It's a Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum - 650W, bought in November 2017. I wasn't planning on replacing it, seeing that I won't be going above the wattage that I already use. I bought the PSU after reading nothing but glowing reviews pretty much everywhere back when it came out. I've read about the higher temps of the 3700x, but read that AMD was going to do something about it via firmware updates? Anyhow, I was planning on getting a different cooler anyway. As for my GPU, I'm using a Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 (non TI). I also have a 1080p monitor, but use higher res for downsampling in some games with terrible AA.

@cryohellinc How's the temps on the Ryzen?

airbud7 likes this.
  9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/GTX 1060
    @emperorsfist
    With H115i I get ~30idle, 40-45 during gaming/standard workloads, 55-65 during heavy workloads.

I'm very happy with the way it works.

insp1re2600 likes this.
  10. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    I will also admit, I have a bit of a problem finding RAM with the dies you've mentioned @anticupidon . Ballistix (for example) isn't available in my country - It's mostly Kingston, Corsair, Crucial and G-Skill (in the 3200 - 3600 range)

11. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Ah, watercooled? I will be using air myself.

12. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
    I use Corsair vengeance pro 3200 c16 @3333, worked alright for me, although you won't be able to tighten the timings really.

13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    OP what country are you in?

14. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    His profile says Czech Republic

emperorsfist likes this.
  15. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated

16. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
  17. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Don't mention it, you would do the same!
    That Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum 650W is backed up 10 Years Warranty from the manufacturer. I think that you can make use of it safely, this is one of the rare cases when gurus buy premium quality PSUs. :cool:
    Well, you should be ok with all parts.
    One more thing - air cooling.
    Noctua Chromax line just was released, so a well-rounded performer, now with better looks/colours.

airbud7 likes this.
  18. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/GTX 1060
    I would still go for an AIO - more consistent temps, especially with the way Ryzen system boosts itself.

19. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    The warranty was one of the factors that led me to this line! :D I f wanted to splurge a bit more an a PSU, having a decade long warranty was a very good deal for me. I was thinking on the Be Quiet Blackrock cooler, but thanks for the heads-up!

EDIT: Oof, I just looked up the chromax series and kinda want to wait when they get available in my country (they should be, the two largest IT vendors have them listed for pre-order).

@cryohellinc I understand. Thing is, I have zero experience with water cooling, and reports from friends were always mixed. I also have no idea how do do custom loops if they were necessary over the stock ones, so I go with a quality air one. I don't do crazy overclocking, and my previous experinece with i7 6700 and Scythe Ninja 4 was very positive.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  20. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/GTX 1060
    @emperorsfist
    You don't need any additional knowledge for an AIO. Mount the heatsink to the top of your case, mount the pump on top of CPU, screw in the fans to the heatsink. You are done - 5-10 minutes of work.

I think you are confusing a simple AIO with a full custom loop.

airbud7 likes this.