Ryzen 3700x and B450

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by apoklyps3, Jan 29, 2020.

1. apoklyps3

apoklyps3 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5-BLACK
    I'm planning to update my system in the next months and I am really struggling with the ideea that x570 are very expensive.
    What am I really loosing if I go for a B450 board , besides PCIex 4.0 ?
    Not really into overclocking and I don't really have any use of Nvme SSDs for PCIEx 4.0.

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    You are "losing" the opportunity to waste moiney.

Bang For The Buck :
    MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    i had the exact dilema, running MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX as we speak. Save your money.

4. apoklyps3

apoklyps3 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5-BLACK
    Thanks for the answers.
    I really want 3700x and watched alot of videos, many reviewers complaining of how bad VRM is on lower priced x570. Seems this concern is new since x570 , that's why I was doubting B450 since their price is even lower.

5. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 /AMD v7
    I made PC for buddy and it was b450 tomahawk max, 3200ddr cl14 16gb, 256gb name ssd and regular 1tb data ssd, plus 3700x and saphire pulse 5700xt.
    All runs flawlessly. Ram runs 3766 cl15. CPU is little offset on vcore, -0.1v . So it is not so hot as on default, and boosts little higher.
    Cooler is noctua 15s.
    Just made some pbo change, ryzen plan installed and all runs, no complaints from his side.
    So y, Vrms may be a problem, when u oc, but really, there is no point for oc this CPU.

anticupidon likes this.
  6. GarrettL

GarrettL Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2070S
    x570 is about bandwidth. And other than PCIe 4.0 SSD speed that's all it's got...at this point in time.

The x570 is AMD's first "enthusiast" chipset according to an article I read. It was MSI's CEO talking about the x570's.

I bought the x570 Asus TUF because I don't have a crystal ball and what might be done with it in the next 5 years. Gambling on the future is what the x570 is right now?

If budget is an issue the B450's are a great choice until we see what the 550's are going to bring to the table.

7. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    I recently replaced a B450 board with an X570. I had a lowend board. Had a couple of weird issues that I could not explain so I decided to replace the board. It ran fine with my 3700X for almost 4 months before the weird problems started. It could have just been the board but it wasn't that old so who knows.

8. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
    save your cash, used an x470 with my 3700x since it came out, runs great, and nothing really "needs" pci4 right now.

All you lose is full speed dual m2 drives.

9. kanenas

kanenas Member

GPU:
    rtx 2070 aurus
    Asus strix-f gaming and 3700x works like a champ also the bios is great.

10. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    3800X and Asus B450M Pro Gaming here, runs just fine.
    It is all watercooled though, VRMs included.

B450 is just fine :)

11. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    The x570 has 128gb RAM max. All the notation I can find for b450 / x470 and the 3xx series says they max out at 64gb. Not sure how that works seeing as the IMC is on the CPU, but maybe it's in the BIOS limitations for all I know. You also get more fancy USB ports on x570.
    That is why I bought x570, as when I build a PC I always want the newest mainstream/enthusiast platform* I can get, as I keep the PC for 4~5 years.
    If you're going to game on it, the MSI *MAX* series of motherboards offer drop-in Ryzen 3xxx capability, and are fairly decent / trouble free. You will not notice a difference until we get more devices using PCI-express 4.0.
    I can vouch for my Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4, it was the cheapest x570 board in the store, it has an intel network port, 8 sata ports on the board, PCI-E 4.0, Open-ended PCI-express slots (a must!), and was solid enough. It also has had no boosting issues with release days BIOS (it tends to stay boosted and never want to clock down fully, but I don't care as I'm always at it, if you update the BIOS, it'll clock down more). The on-board x570 chipset fan also is inaudible in my full tower Fractal (windowless, sound-deadened) case. No pesky LED's to blind you either. I don't need my PC puking rainbows at me 24/7. I do content creation here so this gets a lot of hard use, no watercooling stuff either, all air, as I can't afford a leak in a production system.
    So unless you get a killer combo deal or buy one open-box, go for the MSI MAX series (there's a couple, at-least 2 or 3) b450 boards and save some cash. DO buy RAM that is KNOWN WORKING. Ryzen 3xxx does like MICRON RAM better than Hynix, so avoid the Hynix.

*from above: I go for the newest platform when I buy, even if the CPU isn't the newest or best. If I wanted an older platform I would have bought said platform when it came out.

12. apoklyps3

apoklyps3 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5-BLACK
    The only Issue with MSI Tomahawk is that while it has a good VRM it's lacking in ports/features (older Audio chip, Realtek LAN). Might not be a big difference from the latest Realtek Audio and Intel lan, but I wonder as a non-overclocker if good VRM is going to be better than the added features.
    Guess you can't have both :)

13. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700XT
    Recently bought Gigabyte x570 UD. Audio and LAN is average, but VRM part is strong, so if you can buy it for a decent price, go for it.

14. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    That was the compromise I had to make when purchased MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX. But I thought: I'll get a dedicated sound card and an Intel NIC and will be just perfect. But added cards adds to the total cost, so in the end as you well said, choose 2 can't have all 3.

15. apoklyps3

apoklyps3 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5-BLACK
    going to wait a bit. maybe B550 boards will pop-up in the wild. It's nice to be future proof...what if 2-3 years from now GPUs will take advantage of PCIe 4.0.
    and from what I see getting a cheaper x570 boad like MSI MPG Gaming Plus should be no problem for 3700x. Not interested in OC, just stock plus boost speeds and from all the reviews it seem to handle it normally as it should.

Undying likes this.