Ryzen 3600 Running @ 4.2Ghz Why?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by DryIce, May 26, 2020.

1. DryIce

DryIce Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070OC
    Hi all, ive just upgraded my CPU from a R1600 to a R3600, and omg what a difference.
    Currently using 7% cpu playing alien isolation.

Now i have an MSI B350 Gaming Plus Mb, bit old i know but tis what i have, running latest bios.

I was going to just install the chip and then see what i could get out of it, had my 1600 running at 3.8ghz fine.

So i tries Gaming mode, and it says boost to 3.8ghz in the bios, but is actually running at 4.2Ghz when i boot windows.

I understand this is the MAX for this chip, is this being done automatically? and why so high?.

I dumped the crappy Stealth cooler as its garbage, and put the Spire back on from the 1600, about 7-8c lower temps.

Also if i do a cpu stress test it flys up to 100+c and shuts down, so i can only assume its running way to fast.

2. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Any CPU can go to max boost clocks in Windows when it gets loaded.

No CPU ever should "fly" to 100C+. You probably mounted your cooler poorly. Your CPU is not running way too fast, it's not being cooled properly.

Take off the cooler, get rid of the old paste, re-paste and make sure you mount the cooler properly.

Fox2232 and sykozis like this.
  3. GarrettL

GarrettL Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2070S
    Your cores boosting up and down is normal for the 3000 series.

Are you using Ryzen Master to look at your temps? It's the best one to use at it doesn't cause core boosting during measurement.

If you are peaking at 100C during load then something simply isn't right as @metagamer stated. Case airflow is important too.

I was able to use the Wraith and see about 75-78C fully loaded. I switched to a Corsair H60 and still have temps at 72-74C max.

4. DryIce

DryIce Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070OC
    Yes ive already done that, it was on correct first time though. Found some old artic silver paste but it is years old. im idling at about 45c ish.and general gaming, about 60 - 70c. Occasional jumps to 75c very briefly, and flys back down. Its erratic sometimes. Is 4.2 ok?

It was when i ran the cpu stress test in cpu-z it did it.

5. Caesar

Caesar Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    BAD OS configuration, crappy hardware monitoring tool, bad habits of using vintage software driver installers,using same brand Antivirus software(since decades) that keeps using CPU usage, BAD BIOS settings (tweaking without understanding the real concept or why doing so)......??? May be......;)

If you have Nvidia Geforce Experience, try uninstalling it...and see if things goes FINE..

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  6. something is a rotten in the state of denmark

386SX and fantaskarsef like this.
  7. DryIce

DryIce Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070OC
  8. Caesar

Caesar Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    :confused:o_O

9. DryIce

DryIce Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070OC
    Ok just ran a stress test again, straight up to 90c in 30 seconds?, whats going on :(

Ok set chip to default clocks, 3.6. Can hold max stress at 87c

Looks like i need a water cooler then....

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  10. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    Don't use game mode, game boost or whatever MSI call it and definitely don't use Dragon Centre - It overclocks the CPU and is frankly, trash software.

Caesar, HandR and CPC_RedDawn like this.

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    If you are having these kind of issues, I would seriously download something like Revo Uninstaller. Use this to uninstall ALL the software you don't need. Things like Geforce experience, temp monitoring software (keep 1, use hwinfo or ryzen master), antivirus, any motherboard crap software like ai suite or msi dragon crap. Revo does an excellent job of completely cleaning out all left over stuff from software when uninstalled.

Do this until you have a more or less bare bones software layout. Also, try switching power plan back to Windows Balanced, when you install chipset drivers Ryzen balanced plan is selected for you. This profile can force high cpu clocks and you may see temp spikes when using it. Editing it will not make a difference as it forces 1ms system clock.

My 3900X has a 360mm AIO on it and I can spikes from 30C to 45C to 35C to 54C to 42C to 61C to 34C.... so on. Its normal for 3000 series.

But 90C within 30 seconds tells me you have something else going on here. I don't see any higher than 71C when using Prime95 smallFFT and my 3900X boosts it self to 4.19GHz on all cores when stressing thanks to manual PBO limits. I also set a voltage offset in the BIOS to -.05v

patteSatan likes this.
  12. DryIce

DryIce Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070OC
    Strange never had any issues with the 1600 at all, and that was clocked at 3.8 and never went above 62c, after turning of all the boost stuff in the bios it seems the chip has a mind of its own, like you say up down and all over the place.

I dont have any ryzen configs in my power settings, its just on Windows Balanced. As for programs only one i use is MSI centre to control the fan, or seems its on fast always?

Ok update, made sure precision boost is off, and disabled game mode.

Chip will now clock to 4ghz under a load test, with temp at 83c, od jump to 86ish.
    Considering thats a harsh test im happy with that, but i will now consider getting a new cooler, can then maybe put the game mode back on at some point.

Any suggestions for cooler, was thing of the coolermaster cl20 water thing.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  13. Lol Hamlet bro

[​IMG]

Caesar and CPC_RedDawn like this.
  14. Any chance you have new thermal paste instead of the old AS5 tube you mentioned; that you can clean/swap out?
    • Try running BIOS defaults / stock settings just to isolate any possible settings causing conflicts
    • Open your case / if it's closed open it completely and run it open/air (isolate potential airflow issues)
    • 90C in 30 seconds / 100C in 30 seconds (if that isn't an exaggeration is definitely abnormal and dangerous) So I'd work on basically making everything as "vanilla" as possible and then building up from there
    • If you have a spare AIO cooler/fan heatsink etc give that a try as well.
    • If all the above persists and even with the case open it's still overheating all I can think of is a motherboard issue. VRM etc something not regulating voltage properly or another issue
    • If you have Ryzen Master or MSI software installed on your copy of Windows uninstall it

15. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Up-to-date Windows 10 won't have Ryzen named configurations in power plans due to it already being integral to the operating system. If you have an older copy of Windows 10 (or LTSB like I do) that hasn't updated in the greater part of a year or so aside of security patches, you may still have these plans and should use them if you have a Ryzen processor.
    Keeping PBO off unless you have a water cooler or a Noctua (or comparable) air-cooler will be beneficial in your desire to keep temps off that 90~100C mark.
    This air-cooled (stock cooler!) 3700x / x570 / 32gb 3000mhz cl-15 configuration only hits 80~85C if I don't clean the cooler for a few months. PBO is off here, the processor is using default settings on a release-day BIOS so I'd say that something was pushing it harder due to BIOS settings before. This can happen from user changing things OR right from the factory (as some board makers also do with intel all-core boost enhancements, which can be on by default, though THAT practice has gotten some flak recently). I only enabled XMP in BIOS but changed nothing else.
    Some folks have boosting and/or temperature issues with the stock configuration due to the revised coolers on the 3600 (missing the copper base like they used to have), and also due to a combination of occasional bios bugs or leaving ALL that too-much amount of factory-applied thermal paste on. Best way to make sure you get just enough paste on assembling Ryzen is to mount the cooler completely once you have the CPU on (best done before you put it in the case!), pull it back off, scrape all the excess loose paste off with a credit card as evenly as you can and set it aside for later if you need to re-apply some (likely wont), then stick the cooler back on the processor/board. You don't need to scrub unless putting different paste on, because you want it to fill any small imperfections or voids in the mating surfaces between the cpu and the cooler. I literally needed only a quarter-grain of rice of liquid metal (yes, I started with half a grain of rice and it still squeezed out!) between my boxed 3700x and whatever-the-heck cooler it comes with (prism?). This was the least amount of paste I've ever needed in a build, surprisingly. Temps are great though and only get up to around 80C on a dirty cooler with the physics simulator going. If AMD (technically Cooler Master) applied any more thermal paste at the factory on those coolers, or it was any more liquid-like, it'd not surprise me to hear the power supply (bottom mount) in my case make gargling noises / blowing bubbles out the back, if I had left that stuff on the cooler as it was received. Sheesh - way to drop the ball there!

4ghz is plenty fast enough for most any reasonably optimized game today*. I wouldn't go spending an arm and a leg on a cooler, when a 35~50$ air cooler might help point you in the right direction. I wouldn't recommend spending more than that as you should NOT need to. Spend that extra saved money on a better processor when the next batch of processors come out, or spend it on the video card when there's a good sale, it'll likely take you further than the 4~5% you MIGHT gain from cooling the chip a little more.
    I can 100% side with you on wanting a cooler upgrade for anything north of 85C. Still, with a factory-spec down-draft style cooler of any decent ability, at 85C you'd be hard-pressed to damage anything on a desktop even running for years like that. Just keep it clean and clear of dust and you should be okay. Physics and math benchmarks will always unrealistically push the CPU (from either brand!) harder than most anything else and hence-forth don't always paint an accurate picture of daily use unless that's precisely what your work entails. Example: I can run 15~20 vehicles with traffic on in BeamNG Drive (driving/car crash simulator, fun, do check it out), and the processor will not hit the same temps after an hour of it, VS if I had run a pure math benchmark on it for 5~10 minutes. Math benchmarks like Prime95 for example, slam the FPU pretty hard core, something very few software most users use daily does. Conversely games must do lots of other things like run the render back-end, feeding directX or Vulkan with thousands to tens of thousands of draw calls per frame per second, AI routines (a bit more math) need to be done, scripts need to be processed, assets loaded via streaming them in from storage, sounds played, and so-forth. Even running physics-heavy games this is still true, so you won't hit the processor nearly as hard as a benchmark will. Consider benchmarks to be a worst-case temp scenario, as since, they are meant to stress-test. Your proper applications will not do this to the processor with any sort of regularity.
    * (from above) No, really, if the modeler, graphic designer, and engine/render programmers know what they're doing on a game, any semi-modern 4ghz processor is plenty fast enough unless you're doing competitive multiplayer FPS at 720p and obsessing over FPS. Nothing a few graphical settings changes or config ini edits / optimizations couldn't cure anyways. With DirectX12 or Vulkan, a properly multi-threaded rendering engine will almost never be held back by a proper recent 4ghz+ processor with 6 or more cores. Games aren't only for the 5ghz crowd these days.

So seriously, enjoy your processor man. The Ryzen 3xxx line is sweet, especially when you get all the cores very busy and you can still use the thing.
    My apologies if anyone here was put to sleep or otherwise offended by how large this post got. I can't make one sentence posts :x

*thermal grizzly kryonaut i think is the non-conductive paste, that is supposedly decent. Use fresh paste only for best results. Arctic silver is pretty good if you don't pay a lot for it. Beware using liquid metal as it squishes out more readily than others and WILL SHORT BOARDS out if you slop it around. Try to get something non-conductive for least headaches.

16. DryIce

DryIce Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070OC
    Yeah i have plenty of ventilation, 5 120mm fans, as i say it only seems to do it under gameboost mode, but that is under a full stress test, i can actually play stuff fine on boost mode with no problems.

Also i think the bios is beta at the moment on this b350, but hey its working. Also checked and everything is up to date.

This morning im idling at 35c and fan has slowed right down, most odd. As this seems a very common thing with this chip id say im pretty good to go now. Ill leave as is, but will still look around for a cooler, if i can get a bargain somewhere ill grab what pops up.

but speed wise is stonking so i have no complaints.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  17. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    yeah the spikes are pretty weird as the simplest tasks can give that high number for a brief moment.

18. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    Did you install the AMD chipset drivers? The Power plan comes with them and installs by default unless you do a custom install. This tells me you might not have installed the chipset drivers....

These power plans never came with Windows by default they were part of the chipset package. Unless you do a custom install of the drivers they install by themselves.

The power plan is meant to increase performance based on the system clock of Windows, with Windows Balanced power plan the system clock is 15ms, with Ryzen Balanced this forces the system clock to 1ms and keeps CPU core priority high so the CPU can react faster to changes in load within the system.

This was also to mitigate the memory latency Zen1 and Zen+ had when a core in CCX1 wanted info from a core in CCX2 as both CCX's had split cache. With Zen 2 this is not much of an issue as it uses an I/O die and the cache is "unified" so each CCX (now CCD) uses the same cache pool. Latency is actually increased but this way it stops core hopping and with the clocks speed increases, and architecture improvements its not as much of an issue.

I use the Ryzen Balanced Plan but edit it to change the min core value back to 5% and leave the max core value on 100%. This way the CPU clocks all the way down to 2.2GHz, otherwise its locked at 3.7GHz and boosts from there. Some performance is lost as the cores are not in a "ready" state as they would be with the min core value at 99% like AMD uses in this plan. So it takes a fraction longer for each core to boost. But temps and voltages are A LOT better and the performance loss is minimal and barely worth mentioning.

droopy_ro likes this.
  19. DryIce

DryIce Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070OC
    Ah yeah i found the ryzen settings, i forgot i did install the drivers. im just set on windows balanced. I ll try the ryzen one. Still gonna get a cooler lol

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    More fans is not necessarily better..... Some cases actually do better with fewer fans....

For a better cooler, look at the Arctic Cooling Freezer 33 eSport ONE.