Ryzen 3000: Asus opens up PCIe 4.0 support for selected X470 and B450 boards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Strange Times likes this.
  2. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    Intels reaction
    [​IMG]

Alessio1989, Keitosha and anticupidon like this.
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Ha! Called it.

I did say that Robert Hallock's words weren't worth shite.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  4. Vananovion

Vananovion Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 16GB
    I want to upgrade to Ryzen 3xxx proc (still deciding what to get, want to see how 3800X stacks against 3700X), but I don't want to buy x570 since the price premium for PCIe 4.0 isn't worth it for me. Now, having it available for the price of an x470 board is a nice bonus.

5. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    The chipset being connected through PCIe 4.0 on X570 is worth far more right now then graphics or SSD, since that connection can easily be an actual bottleneck. Just saying.

6. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Sweet Monkeyballs, I bought the B450M-Pro.
    Good to know it will accept PCIe 4.0 for the GPU and one of the M2 slots :)

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Yehaaw, Asus X470 Prime Pro is on the wish list

SamuelL421 likes this.
  8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    S long as you need those devices behind X470 to pull/push data to CPU above available bandwidth. And that's not the case for most of people unless they are using 2nd NVMe + few SSDs, all at same time. That's pretty rare occasion even for productivity cases.
    Closest to that I got with building windows images where one just needs to move data, do some minor CPU compression and put it back.
    Regular Copy operations may happen to be limited if one goes crazy on parallel copying, but that's not usual case and not something that one will cry over.

airbud7 likes this.
  9. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I suppose thats only if you need that bandwidth, and can actually use it.

I get what you mean, but if you don't have any PCIe4 devices, or don't expect to plug any PCie3 x8 cards into the chipset slots, then you should be fine with X470/B450

10. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    i have to ask myself:
    ryzen is not really an overclocking cpu and the hero 7 wifi won't get pcie 4 support.
    Why the hell did i buy it?
    I have to say i m sad about this. If i had the box i would send the motherboard back to amazon.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Ask yourself this:
    - 1st, as you bought that MB and Ryzen CPU, have reviews based on which you bought those components stated that you should expect some great Overclocks?
    - 2nd, Did ASUS mislead users, at time of release of that board, by claiming that it will get PCIe 4.0 later?

I have to say that you should be sad. Because you made horrid mistake of expecting something that was not promised. Or you came to believe that someone did promise it to you in the past.

airbud7 likes this.
  12. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    :D
    I'm sad because if i had bought a x470 prime pro, mid tier motherboard i would have saved something, probably got the same xfr frequencies and now i would had a better pciex4 surprise.

I n the motherboard lottery i chose bad.

13. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    So maybe is not sadness is envy for who got the other motherboards.

14. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    Wow, the first time in years I have gotten lucky with one of these "added features" situations.

I initially only picked the X470 Prime Pro because it was one of the rare mid-range to higher-end board with no "GAMER" branding plastered over it :p

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Okay so with this news can someone kindly explain the higher TDP of the X570's then, and cost for that matter.

16. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Its not a standard chipset, its the IO chip from the Ryzen CPU's.
    Its on a 12nm process, which I would have thought would have brought down the TDP, but since it was designed with massive throughput and low latency (being a CPU IO chip) it might not have much in the way of efficiency.
    I mean, its meant to be cooled with a CPU cooler, along with the CPU itself, but a large cooler nonetheless.

edit : Cost would be the 12nm node i expect, much higher than the previous chipsets.
    Also, the fact AMD has to have them made, maybe in a bit of a rush, due to ASMedia's not being ready yet ? (New substrate fabbed just for the sole IO chip, validation and testing, putting the IO chip on the specific substrate...)

edit2: The pinout is probably completely different from the previous chipsets also, so previous mobo designs can't be used.....
    It must have been a right clusterf**k for AMD when they found out the ASMedia chipsets weren't going to be ready in time.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    HandR and Loophole35 like this.
  17. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    But you can make the exact same argument for PCIe 4.0 on anything else right now. Graphics sees no benefit yet, and SSDs - if anywhere, in sequential speed only, ie. copy operations.

On AMD specifically, devices connected to the chipset were also only PCIe 2.0 in X470 - on X570 they are 4.0 (or 3.0 with backwards compat, of course), so the secondary M.2 SSD would benefit far more moving from 2.0 to 3.0. At least for me, this would be worth more then getting 4.0 on the primary PCIe slot.

18. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    You are using the CPU lines here.

on the X570 you pay and cool the X570 that adds more pciex v4 lanes, and that comunicate with the cpu with pciex v4.

On the 400 series, everything apart the main pciex16 slot and the nvme stays at pci version 3.

19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    That's really cool for them to offer this, though, I would never use this for anything important. I'd gladly sacrifice the minuscule real-world performance gain in an M.2 drive for better data integrity, and stick with PCIe 3.0. For the GPU, as long as it isn't doing any compute tasks, I'd probably try it out.

Of course, all of this is assuming I have one of these motherboards, a Zen2 CPU, and PCIe 4.0 devices (of which I have none of the above lol).

20. warezme

warezme Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 970GTX Classified
    I'm still hanging on the the Gigabyte Bios that enabled PCIe 4.0 on my Aorus Gaming X470 board. Can't seem to get a 3900X in stock to order one but I'm patient. Hopefully soon I can test the theory but if it doesn't work I'm not going to worry about it.