Ryzen 3000 and Old Motherboards

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by mohiuddin, Jul 24, 2019.

1. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Guys, i have been searching long enough (?) all over the net to find a page or a thread or anything like a discussion where i could get enough information about ryzen 3000 compatibilty of all/ most x470 , b450, x370 boards in one place . But i coulnt find any.

Some knowledge :p that i have gathered so far:

• Msi b450 Carbon pro ac , tomahawk boards are affordable options with really good VRM solutions. But pretty terrible when it comes to ryzen 3000 bios support. A new beta bios got out (for MSI B450 Tomahawk) . Some people could got rid of the cold boot issue. But still some having problems.Dont know much about x470 boards though

• Asus boards. Well not much of ideas . AFAIK crosshair and x370f strix has good VRM. And bios support for ryzen 3000 is overall good i guess.

• Crosshair 6 Hero (C6H) also had problems. The most bothering problem was code 07 . Some people got some workarounds . 07 error was being reproduced in asus techlab and they seem to find a way to fix it. New beta bios is out which seems to resolve this issue successfully.

• Crosshair 6 Extreme seems to take ryzen3000 more hassle free than C6H , it seems.

• Gigabyte budget boards are pretty bad with VRMs and bios features

• But Gigabyte boards seem to have less problems posting with ryzen 3000 cpu surprisingly

• Overall x370 has problems with achieving high RAM speeds past 3200 mhz

Of all those things i have mentioned could be wrong. Please correct me if i am wrong.
    And anyone with ryzen 3000 with any board other than x570 please share your thoughts here.
    To moderators, if u feel this thread to be unnecessary or not needed, plz don't hesitate to delete . Thnaks :)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  2. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    I'm currently at the mercy of ASrock to update my lowly B450M Pro4 to the agesa 1.0.0.3 so I can even use my 3700X. There are beta BIOS out there for a few ASRock boards but not mine and ASRock hasn't replied to my request for one that I posted on Sunday. It's been over 2 weeks since Matisse released and AMD kinda blew this launch. Needless to say once the CPU is working properly it' going to be a good performer I think.

mohiuddin likes this.
  3. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    So it's not that bright on the asrock's side either? U can or can't use the 3700x ?
    What about asus ? Do u know anything about that?

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega/Navi
    Well, for early Ryzen 3xxx adopters previous platforms X370, B450 and X470 were a bit off.
    Now, manufacturers had to issue new BIOS versions, and that's why one suffers from all this AGESA microcode mishap.
    Those who chose X570 from the start are in a better position, but still they have their own little annoying issues with chipset fan's speed.
    Guess that it's "normal" when a new tech is released.
    MSI Gaming Carbon Pro x470 has very good VRMs, and overall very good build quality.
    Latest BIOS version enables support for new Ryzen 3xxx.
    Previously I've set my mind on the Asus X470 Prime Pro, but it's VRMs are ok, but lower cooling and quality versus the aforementioned motherboard.

5. Ricardo

Ricardo Active Member

GPU:
    1050Ti 4GB
    I find that to be quiet overblown. I'm using this Gigabyte model to run a 3700X and my VRMs never go above 55ºC, even on full load. It's only 10ºC more than what I had when using an Athlon 200 GE, so yeah. Not a problem.

Compatibility was also pretty straightforward. Just update your motherboard with whatever BIOS that has at least AGESA 1.0.0.2 and the 3000 processors will work. I'm currently working with AGESA 1.0.0.3AB and it is running rock stable.

Note that I'm running @ stock, which is actually the recommended setup from most reviews. If you absolutely need to overclock, I'd say go for a x470. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

mohiuddin likes this.
  6. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I have a MSI X470 Gaming Plus cheapest X470 and has all the features one would ever need for casual gamer/user.
    Can overclock / Run Ram at very high speeds /Override works and my 3600X boost to 4525Mhz.
    Still on first BIOS ,no need to update BIOS to newest one.Maybe one of the best Motherboards I owned and I use to buy highend gear not no more.

AM4 Vcore VRM Ratings by guys that know something All Motherboards
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true

mohiuddin likes this.
  7. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    Have you called them directly and asked ? If you phone them, just tell them what motherboard you have. Give them the serial number if they ask, and then state that when you try and use your R7 3700X in the board, that you are experiencing blue screens and instability. Tell them that you are aware there is a beta BIOS, and ask to be emailed it. They should be willing to give it to you then. Don't hang up. Get them to email it, and make sure you receive it while you are actually still on the phone.

Asrock America Phone Number:

909-590-8308

8. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    I suppose it's worth a try hopefully they are open late at night as I can't call before 8:30 pm eastern.

They actually just sent me a beta bios from the email ticket I sent in. Loading it now crossing my fingers.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

wooooo!

10. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    No more WHEA errors doing stress testing now. Temps are higher and clocks are lower but that’s not a huge concern of mine right now.

mohiuddin likes this.

11. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Thanks for the feedback mate. After researching :p alittle more, yeah , gigabyte boards seem to have higher chances to work with ryzen 3000 surprisingly . Will continue my research :p
    New ideas of mine after surfing rog forum abit.....
    • Crosshair 6 Hero (C6H) seems to be also a hit or miss kind of thing for ryzen 3000. But not as problematic as msi budget b450 boards it seems. The most bothering problem is code 07 . Some people got some workarounds ,but still luck seems to be a major player there. 07 error is being reproduced in asus techlab and they seem to be working on it.
    • Crosshair 6 Extreme seems to take ryzen 3000 more hassle free than C6H , it seems.

Ricardo likes this.
  12. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    How to use ryzen 3000 on msi x470, b450 boards live streaming. Streaming starts @11.22

13. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -----
    BIOS is now available for all, is it worth to flash bios if I have Ryzen 2600? guess I'm gonna try it :)

14. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    hha it figures that they would send it out the day before the big release and no I would not update if you're on a 1/2k series chip.

15. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -----
    So far so good, I think that there are even more options in BIOS, but what they exactly do is a mystery :)

16. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Any update on bios from any vendor for 300 and 400 series borads please update here guys, with links , change logs and if possible feedback from different forums.

17. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    I got an update for my B450M Pro 4 but I still don't think everything is right. I can get my PC stable now but the PICE slots is only running at X4 speed ;/

mohiuddin likes this.
  18. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    You should do a BIOS reset to factory defaults, and then put all your settings in again. On occasion, when AGESA gets updated, it screws up various things until you do a reset. In one case on my previous board, a reset alone was not enough, and I had to take the battery out of the board for 15 minutes, and then this corrected everything no problem.

Keitosha likes this.
  19. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -----
    Not having an issue with PCI-E slot speed, but the truth is I did what DW75 recommend after flashing new bios.

20. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    Yeah I actually did it already because I screwed up my ram timings so I needed a reset.