Ryse: Son of Rome

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by jgomez7238, Mar 9, 2014.

1. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti
    Highly recommend using a 360 controller, i enjoyed it alot on the Xbone.

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Key mapping works, but you need to use keyboard to change/navigate in options not mouse or it will be a bit buggy and not sticking with settings..

3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    No idea how you're finding working key mapping.
    Keyboard or mouse, there's no option (at least not that I can find) to remap my controls.

Yes, it gives you three control setups to cycle through, but they are all useless for me.

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Well i set my keys to arrow keys, idk atm but they do work.. will double check later atm @phone.

6. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    2070 subpar RTX OFF
    Lol, from the Steam page, look at the tags. Well that does it, I'm sold now.

[​IMG]

7. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    Super skint right now but I think I'll grab this tomorrow, it looks gorgeous.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  8. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    It is, gorgeous.

But, I went ahead and refunded it. The lack of remappable keys is a game killer for me.
    I know to some it may be a stupid reason, but I can't play a game like that. It's why I've never finished Dead Rising 2 or Transfomers: War for Cybertron.

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Ok so I checked and yeah you can't change totally but you can switch to another predefined setting.

When you highlight map keys press right arrow and then enter, now it will switch to arrow keys.

made a quick video

btw, for v.high textures you can try a small tweak

make a autoexec.cfg file in base directory and add this

sys_spec_texture=4
    sys_spec_textureresolution=4
    http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Ryse:_Son_of_Rome#Cannot_select_Very_High_texture_quality

10. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yeah, I saw the three setups they offer.
    And the thing is, two use WSAD and the other uses the arrow keys. None of which I can comfortably play with.

For movement I use EDSF. Then I can add other keys and functions to the surrounding areas. Also, I've got larger hands... and using WSAD feels like my hand is right on the edge of the keyboard.
    Moving it over to EDSF gives me more room.

11. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    Why did the game only get 60% metacritic, is there something majorly wrong with the game?

12. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    No.
    It's just... boring. Unlike games like the Arkham series, or Shadow of Mordor... there's no real progression to the combat.
    What you get at the beginning is pretty much what you get at the end. And the same thing, and it's rinse and repeat.

The game's biggest fault is that it's overly repetitive.

And, it tries to make a big deal out the execution moves. Making them timed, and color coordinated. But, it doesn't matter.
    You can hit whatever button you want, you'll still kill the guy. There's no fail state for the "quick time events".

13. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    How long is it? Trying to decide if it's actually worth the £8.

14. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    I just got it because if the sale. What can I say, I'm a graphics-whore. Plus it always seemed neat.

15. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    No idea on length.
    From what I remember, it's not very long.

But, it's disappointing that Crytek of all people would release a game on PC with no way to remap controls, and a very limited options menu in general.

Even with Crysis 2, they gave the player far more options to customize their experience control, sound and gameplay wise.

16. biggyca

biggyca Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 GALAX
    if you play on normal difficulty 5-7 hours, and ofcourse on higher difficulty it last longer. it has a mainstream story which is good enough to follow. also it's a rare game i finished in a long time probably because of these two reasons. lenght and simple storyline.

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    How much of that 5-7h are cutscenes, like half? Its just not worth even those £8, MrH.

18. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    I just picked it up myself for £8 but only because I read it also comes complete with all four DLC included and I had a tenner sat in my steam wallet doing nothing. I plan to play no more than two hours and get a refund if indeed the game doesn't do more than just stare back at me looking all pretty and stuff.

19. gringopig

gringopig Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC
    I bought it in the sale but had major issues with horrible framerates. Nasty jerky variable framerates which affected mouse movement and was about to quit and uninstall...

Until I noticed the Steam community forum post about a fix which involves opening Origin before play. I was a tad sceptical lol until I tried it.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/302510/discussions/0/618458030663903476/

What a nasty bug. If you run origin, even minimised to the system tray, framerates are super smooth and >100. Without, framerates tumble just looking about (even at the sky!).

Shadowplay works too. It seems to be some cpu issue as without Origin the cpu usage plummets on almost all cores bar one. Running Origin, everything is normal and the game is playable.

I'm going to restart the game.

20. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    maybe just turn off CPU throttling in Windows power cfg