Ryse: Son of Rome

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by jgomez7238, Mar 9, 2014.

1. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    Brilliant game.
    Just completed it.

So far GOTY for me...
    Highly recommended.

2. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    Before everyone said, that no one will like that game, because it is so simple :D.

I also like that game :). Well, combat system could be better for sure, but Ryse reminds me GLADIATOR movie (there are very few games like that). And besides... graphic is great :D (but I need to say, that AA solution in this game is horrible, I turned that off immediately because game looked like upscaled picture, no sharpness at all)

HDTV's are using all kinds of postprocessing, even DVD will look sharp, not to mention RYSE 900p on xbox one. Eurogamer did direct comaprison, and color, and contrast looks the same on PC version

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  3. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC
    Disregard

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The Xbox One also has ramped up gamma/contrast levels that can result in crushed blacks and loss of shadow details in some games. Sometimes it can look nicer to have this but generally it is more annoying than anything else, especially if you're playing a dark game. Dead Rising 3 on the Xbox One was virtually unplayable for me because of the incorrect gamma/contrast at launch plus Microsoft also added a horrid sharpening filter to compensate for the 720p upscaling but thankfully they've now removed that.

5. raul100

raul100 Member

6. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    I like this game. Will love it even more with SLI support lol.

7. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Waterforce 2139/5500
    I never tried it for my Plasma as I bought my intel NUC (HTPC) after I got my new LED LCD, but I too had to set full range RGB on it (Using OpenELEC) to get proper colors while using the HTPC

8. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    I liked the AA solution, for a post AA anyway. It's decent at getting rid of temporal aliasing, you just need to to use SweetFX to increase the sharpness a bit.

9. raul100

raul100 Member

I going try. Thanks for your help.

10. nekrik

nekrik Active Member

GPU:
    gtx 1080ti Msi gaming X
    Writing r_FullscreenWindow=1 in system.cfg instead of autoexec.cfg works like a charm thanks guys!!!!

11. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC
    Update: Alrighty, after testing for a good 9 hours so far, Anno 2070's sli profile has worked the best for me by far compared to crysis 3/sleeping dogs. Taking into account perf/glitching I'm getting playable results with Anno 2070.

12. Godimus

Godimus Active Member

GPU:
    everchanging
    Just Wanted to contribute to help this fail for Nvidia not releasing an SLI profile in time for for launch. I just tried Watch dogs and pretty much 2x my FPS. there is still some flickering buts its the best for me so far @ 5760x1080. I'm averaging around 49-62 fps ...

13. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    In time? Its been over a week now and we still don't have any SLI profile.

Seeing GPU shipments reduced I thought they would try to promote SLI but they just entered into different products (Shield, etc). Epic fail and last SLI setup for me. Searching for better community fixed 'bits' is something I shouldn't have to do.

14. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    I dont want sweetfx artificial sharpening.

Human eye NEEDS CONTRAST EDGES in order to perceive sharpness, and mothods like FXAA (or temporal aliasing in ryse) are used just to blur important contrast edges. Yes, alsiasing will be less noticable that way, but people who prefer sharp picture will dont like that soft look. On the other side, methods like MSAA or dowsampling are adding missing details and it looks different, because important contrast edges are intact, also sharpness is perfect. Sorry, but I will never accept AA methods like temporal AA in ryse, it looks like upscaled 720p

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It looks nothing like upscaled 720p, your probably just used to overly aliased images that give the perception of extra sharpness.
    Since the game isn't particularly playable for me at the moment, i've just been messing with settings etc.. and done the comparison at all resolutions.

It's all personal preference though, there is no right or wrong way.
    I hate things looking too sharp as it looks fake and artificial, and prefer softer images myself as it looks more natural, i also cannot stomach even a small amount of aliasing as it destroys image quality and immersion.

16. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    If you think a soft image looks natural you might need glasses :D

17. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    It looks exactly like upscaled picture too me. Even in EUROGAMER article guys were curious why there is no difference in Ryse (1080p from PC, VS 900p in xbone version). But for me it's obvious why these images looked the same for them. YOU CANT BLUR ALL CONTRAST EDGES, AND EXPECT, THAT SHARPNESS WILL REMAIN THE SAME, BECAUSE CONTRAST IT'S ALSO SHARPNESS.

IMHO 1080p is just not enough pixels for smooth contrast (detail) transition, one pixel will be brightened at full, while next will be dimmed. That drastic difference in contrast is visible for human eye (if you sit to close of if your vision is super sharp), and it creates "shimmering". Yes we can use AA methods that blurs high contrast transition (this creates shimmering), but you will always loose some sharpness by doing that. If you can see aliasing, it's always your monitor to blame. On 4K monitor aliasing is already less visible, and I quess on 100K monitor there will be no need for AA at all :).

18. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I've just loaded up this game for the first time in a week and instead of the white main menu, I now see a black background with a picture in the middle, containing the word "Palace" and various buttons listed at the bottom, including Enter and arrows pointing up for Options and down for Gladiator. If I select Options then all the graphics options are missing except for Presentation Mode on/off (don't remember that before) and resolution settings: 1280x720 and 1920x1080.

Anyone know what has happened here? :3eyes:

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I've spent thousands fixing my eyes so definitely not that :)
    Needing an overly sharp image on the other hand suggests a need for glasses.

20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse

Corrupt profile?

Saves and settings are stored here:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\*\302510\remote
    (The * is a number unique to your personal Steam account.)

The game has/had a problem where it couldn't sync properly which caused the profile file to get damaged, I've had to restart the game twice so far due to this but the first patch made it much better so it hasn't occurred since.

Still move the four files in here to a subfolder and start the game again and see if that doesn't clear it up, then you can experiment by moving back the files one after another until the issue re-appears and you know which file is damaged.
    (If this is what is causing the issue.)

Could also try to re-validate the game via Steam and see if all files are OK. :)
    (They should be OK though.)

EDIT:

RyseSave - This is your checkpoint save file.

The other three (*.act *.att and *.pro) are related to the actual profile file, I am unsure which of them stores settings and which store unlock progress.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014