RX6800 not recognized when used with PCIe riser

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by HelgeHase, Apr 1, 2021.

Tags:
  1. HelgeHase

HelgeHase New Member

GPU:
    RX 6800
    I built a new mining rig, with 6x RX6800 GPUs, all connected with a riser to a MSI Z170A Gamin Pro mainboard and 2 PSU (HX1200 and RM1000x). However, one of the cards, the Powercolor Red Devil RX 6800 is not recognized by Windows 10. If I connect the card on another PC to the mainboard directly, everything works fine.

Whenever I connect it with the riser, all the lights of the riser and card are on, but the fans don't even spin on startup.

What I tried so far:

- switched riser with one of the ones working with another card, and even bought another type of riser

- switched cables (even connected two seperate PCIe cables to the card and a seperate PCIe to the riser)

- disconnected all cards and tried with the Red Devil only

- changed the BIOS PCIe settings from auto to 3, 2 and 1

So I ran out of ideas. Anybody has the same problem, with a solution?

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Only thing I can find is a weight caution and fitting the cable.

From one of the reviews in case it's not connecting properly since from the sounds of things the other five work just fine so it's not some general compatibility between the 6000-series GPU's and non-PCI-E 4.0 risers.
    (And for that just switching to PCI-E 3 in the bios should work on motherboards which provide PCI-E 4 support.)

Spacing and such between the different GPU hardware, mounting differing as well when using this so a prop or bracket to offset the weight might not be as simple either.

3. HelgeHase

HelgeHase New Member

GPU:
    RX 6800
    Thanks for your help. I just tried it again, but without success. The card is sitting tight in the riser, and even if I push it down, it's still not working.