1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RX590 Nitro+ Power Issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by nigel_spur, Sep 23, 2019.

1. nigel_spur

nigel_spur New Member

GPU:
    RX590
    Hi, this is my first post on this forum.

A little history:

I've bought my RX590 a couple of months ago, problems started right away with games crashing and high temperatures, but since returning policies in my country require some vendor RMA and it will do some benchmarking, in which the GPU behaves like a princess, no good would come my way.

So, I've done multiple testing, read lots and lots of forums and nothing could tame the beast, until a couple of days ago when I turned power to -50%, then it was awesomely stable, I ran it for a day with some 1440p Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5 in Ultra. No crashing, no nothing, but, obviously the card is so calm that it bothers me.

So I started to go back little by little until I found the card is stable and regained most of its spice (those beautiful high pitch capacitors) at -15%.

The thing is, it still bothers me I'm losing some performance, which, I must say, it's not a lot, at stock power the card gives me 3 or 4 more fps, which will change nothing. But, I've paid for that extra 15% and I intend to use it.

I've used AIDA64 to monitor the 12V rail, and it never goes under 11.8, I know this is something that comes into everyone's mind while reading all this power related stuff.

So, if anyone has some insights or ideas I'll welcome them and try them.

Specs:

I7 7440k (20% OC by Gigabyte BIOS grace)
    12GB Ram (3 2400mhz Gskill Sticks)
    PSU is an XFX XTR 750 80+ Gold

The story is longer, but I didn't want to bore anyone more than they probably are.

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    While you turned down power to -50% card probably cant reach it target frequency and downclock itself, its probably why its stable. Do you monitor how much power does the card use, clocks/memory/temps core/vrms while gaming?

You tried running firestike/timespy? Im interested what scores are you getting.

3. nigel_spur

nigel_spur New Member

GPU:
    RX590
    Hi, thanks for your swift reply.

That's correct, the whole card was underclocking clearly, temps were at 60º ~ 65º, now I'm at 75º ~ 76º

This is happening at -15% power:

While gaming on Wattman GPU goes to 1560Mhz and Memory is at 2100Mhz. ( 53 ~ 57 FPS Forza Horizon 4)

This is happening at -50% power:
    While gaming on Wattman GPU goes to 1250Mhz and Memory is at 2100Mhz. (47 ~ 50 FPS Forza Horizon 4)

Off gaming GPU goes down quite a bit due to Wattman default config on both cases.

This is what I've got for now. I'm about to run benchmarks and will come back with scores.

4. nigel_spur

nigel_spur New Member

GPU:
    RX590
    Ok, I'm back with some scores.. I've run the tests a couple of times are they are somewhat consistent, with about 10 or 15 points of variations

Results:
    -50%:Total:3698 / GPU:3500
    -15%:Total:4736 / GPU: 4612 (First Pass)
    -15%:Total:4587 / GPU: 4632 (Second Pass)
    0%:Total:4614 / GPU: 4682 (First Pass)
    0%Total:4638 / GPU: 4703 (Second Pass)
    +50%: Total:4804 / GPU:4697

I tried to add some SS but they don't show. I don't know why.

Between the first and the second round I cleared some background processes, I think there's not much to nag about, I mean, the performance between -15% and 0% are almost the same. It just bothers me not knowing why is this happening.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Beside -50% where you are power limited your card to seems to perform well, maybe little slower than it should be. Its basically rx580 performance.

You mentioned crashing and high temperature in your first post. Benchmarks run fine from what it seems. How high was it durring testing? Gamers nexus testing on 590 fatboy actually had servere issues with vrm temps but from your clocks i guess thats a Nitro+.

6. nigel_spur

nigel_spur New Member

GPU:
    RX590
    Yes, it's a Nitro+ but temps are ok, they are flat at 75º or 76º tops. So, temps are ok, in the first months the card used to reach even 85º but now it's not happening. I'm a little bummed now that you point that these results look like 580 when it should be performing a little better than a 590.