1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RX570 worse performance than RX470

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Knighter, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Knighter

Knighter Member

GPU:
    MSI RX570 Armor 8GB
    Hello, i would like to get some help. My previous card Nitro RX470 died after 2 years and i bought an MSI RX570. i put in the new card, made some DDU clean and fresh driver install. The first thing i noticed if i play PUBG or World of Warships there are some sudden huge fps drops when multiple particles are on screen. Like smoke vehicle explosions or water splashes in WOWS. It looks like the GPU goes down to like 10 fps for a sec or so. I hade none of the symptoms with my previous card. Am i missing something? I'm looking at my gpu temps even at heavy load it doesn't exceed 75C. I would appreciate any help thanks!

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    Enable GPU utilization, power consumption and frametime graph in RTSS. See what it is doing when you have those dips.

3. Knighter

Knighter Member

GPU:
    MSI RX570 Armor 8GB
    Thanks, ill check with that and report later.

4. Knighter

Knighter Member

GPU:
    MSI RX570 Armor 8GB
    Allright, it took me a while to figure out the graphs :) I'm not an expert sorry. So i jumped to a training room with grenade range and throw a crapload of molotovs in front of me that gave work for the GPU.

The default values i found are the follows:
    GPU Utilization: 95% - 100%
    Frametime: 13.3ms
    Power: 75W - 85W
    FPS: 70 - 75

Now under heavy load when multiple particles are on screen:
    GPU Utilization: 100%
    Frametime: 40ms
    Power: 95W
    FPS: 37

Notice i'm using a LG freesync display so fps is capped at 75. Also under heavy load my max temperatures goes up 5 degrees. I've also switched the stock heatsink to Arctic Twinturbo 2 which gave me less noise and a bit better temps as the default armor heatsink was much worse in my opinion.

5. spajdrik

spajdrik Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    Make sure you don't have Chill enabled in AMD Radeon Settings > Global Graphics

6. Knighter

Knighter Member

GPU:
    MSI RX570 Armor 8GB
    It was turned on as was with my previous card. I switched off but got the same symptoms :(

7. spajdrik

spajdrik Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    When you open GPU-Z and look at Bus Interface, does it switch to PCIe X16 3.0/2.0 (when you click on "?" next to it and Start Render Test"

8. Knighter

Knighter Member

GPU:
    MSI RX570 Armor 8GB
    Yea it switches to 3.0 instantly.

[​IMG]

9. spajdrik

spajdrik Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    Did you had fps issues even before switching to arctic cooler? if you disable freesync , nothing changes?

10. Knighter

Knighter Member

GPU:
    MSI RX570 Armor 8GB
    I'm not 100% sure on the first question. It was mainly done because by default it often hit 80C and i was used to the much cooler nitro. I've installed the little heatsinks to vrams with thermal glue and on one side i had to reapply the factory thermal pads. I'll provide PCB photo later if i finish work. Only the gpu core has temp sensor and it seems fine to me. If i touch the back of the videocard it feels very hot though. I'll try disabling display and software freesync as well.

11. Knighter

Knighter Member

GPU:
    MSI RX570 Armor 8GB
    Disabling freesync didn't make a difference. I've uploaded a simple pic how the cooling looks like now. Memory chips i think thats the yellow marks have little heatsinks now applied with thermal glue.
    I've re-used a very thick thermal pad on the red marking that makes contact with the heatsink above it. The little chips have a factory default heatsink there. Core temperature never reached 80C.
    I guess i'll try other titles as well i know PUBG has some really weird optimization though i haven't experienced these lags before.

[​IMG]

12. spajdrik

spajdrik Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    Chips between green and red zone was not cooled at all with stock cooler?

13. Knighter

Knighter Member

GPU:
    MSI RX570 Armor 8GB
    Sorry the heatsink seems to cover the little chips as well here's the photo i took when i first dissassembled.

https://imgur.com/a/CE1Pj8y

14. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 580 GTS BE
    "I've also switched the stock heatsink"
    "I've re-used a very thick thermal pad"
    "Did you had fps issues even before switching to arctic cooler?"
    "I'm not 100% sure"

Are you comparing different driver versions?
    Maybe a recent patch to your games has altered performance?
    You indicate that it is possible that these issues started when you swapped the heatsink.
    The stock design with the pads contacting fins seemed bad, but if you can now fit RAM sinks under the fins of your new heatsink, it makes me wonder if the thick pad on those ram chips is even touching anything. Same for those coils - is the pad actually contacting anything, or just acting like a blanket? GPU core may be OK, but other parts of the card may be cooking.

15. Knighter

Knighter Member

GPU:
    MSI RX570 Armor 8GB
    This is the current side view. Thermal pads are contacting heatsink well. Where the ram has no contact with the new heatsink I had put ram heatsinks there.

https://imgur.com/a/GlSxagS

I'll try other games PUBG is known for bugs, this instant slowdown is present even if i freshly start the system and jump in reproducing the issue within half a minute.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 10:14 PM