[RX480] Issues while playing games, freeze and artifacts

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Shogo, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Shogo

Shogo New Member

GPU:
    MSI/RX480/8Gb
    Hi there,

I am looking for some help, since I am pretty at the end of the road with my problems concerning my RX480.

While playing, sometimes, I will get a freeze with artifacts in game.
    When it's a "good day", I can get back to desktop and kill the game manually.
    When it's a "bad day", it will freeze the computer completely and I have to power off. (I attached a picture taken with my phone of the freeze with artifacts)
    The error is always the same: device has been hanging for too long, the Adrenalyn software crashes (if I try to open it after a crash, it will re spawn an other one).

This is my current configuration :
    • Windows 10 Pro (up to date and licensed, pretty much clean install since I don't install other things than games)
    • Adrenalin 20.11.3
    • Computer :
      • Intel i7 77k
      • RAM : Ballistix Sport LT 16 Go (2 x 8 Go) DDR4 2400 MHz
      • Motherboard : MSI Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON (latest BIOS)
      • GPU : MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X - 8 Go
      • Power Supply : CORSAIR HX 750 Platinium
    Here is everything I tried so far :
    • With AMD support :
      • Adrenalyn clean reinstall (with AMD tool and with DDU)
      • Different driver versions (19.12.1, 20.9.1, 20.11.3)
    • By myself :
      • Changing the values in the registry to wait a little longer for the device : Didn't work, it just wait and stay frozen for longer time
      • In the Tuning section of Adrenalyn, pushing the Power tuning to the max : Didn't work
      • Memtest (just in case...) : RAS
    This problem is random. Some days I can play normally, no crashes at all (same games everyday).
    However, I found some consistency.
    There is one game : Gunfire Reborn
    I play this game, if after 20min of playing there is no freeze, it will not freeze for this session.
    I am convinced this is a driver issue because of this.

"Fun" fact : If I got a freeze and the Adrenalyn soft has been killed and respawned, it will not crash an other time. I can play normally after this.

Any help would be gladly appreciated, and I apologize for the long post.
    If more information is needed, just asking and I will do my best to provide what I can.
    Anyway, thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any help.
    Wish you all a great rest of your day.

Attached Files:

2. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    By the look of those artifacts it looks to me one (or more) of the memory chips is dying.

Did you tried to downclock VRAM a bit on that MSI RX 480, say 500MHz via MSI AB?

Also besides underclocking VRAM try to undervolt VRAM also via MSI AB (use Extended MSI option in MSI AB to unlock additional voltage control) if it's available for that card.

HK-1, A2Razor and Undying like this.
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Milojko is right looks like memory is dying. It looked the same when my 280x died. First starts in desktop then it gets worse and artifacting starts even in bios.

Sadly its a very bad time to loose a gpu. :(

CrazY_Milojko likes this.
  4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    are you able to try and downvolt and downclock the GPU core and memory in driver panel on that card?

If so I would try to downclock the memory first as this is the most likely culprit. It could get rid of the issue, but won't completely fix it as others have said this looks like a memory chip is dying and eventually it will happen at ANY clockspeed and eventually the card will stop working altogether.

5. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    OP, did you ever in it's lifetime OC'ed that card, VRAM particulary? Also are you the 1st owner or you bought it 2nd hand, if that later is the case do you now anything about history of that card? I'm asking because if you've bought it 2nd hand there is a high chance that card was used for mining and it's a well known fact that miners were/are underclocking and undervolting GPUs on those cards but they were also (not all of them, but most of them) pushing VRAM by OC as much as thay can because that's where hashrate jums up. Add to that a long term mine (ab)use for months or even years 24/7 and that's where things can go to hell. I don't give a fück about any miner telling us: "...but you know... for mining we're undervolting and underclocking GPUs so that cards can be as much efficient... blah... blah..." ...just F U because most of us here are aware that most mining cards in hands of miners were running with OCed VRAM. It's a fact, period.

Don't want to turn this thread into hate fest but it is what it is. Really hope that RX 480 of yours was not (ab)used in some mine :(

I agree, it's definitely a worst possible moment for some gamer to lose a GPU. Never in my life saw so many threads and complains all over the internet about artifacting GPUs :eek: Really hope non of GPUs of my three kids gaming PCs (1070 + 1070 + 1050Ti) isn't gonna give up anytime soon, the only backup solution they have have atm is one spare GTX 970 from my old gaming PC. Recently repacked their gaming PCs with Guru3D/Deepcool prizes I've won on Guru3D December 2020 contest few months ago and now airflow in their gaming PCs is just... insane, and that involves a bit more dust inside cases so just to be on the safe side I've bough us 3rd (this time almost silent and oil free, first two are piston ones, loud almost as a jet engine) 24l air compressor some 2 weeks ago and if needed I'm gonna de-dust their gamig PCs once a month, everything what it takes just to ease the life for GPUs inside their gaming PCs :) Last time when mining craze was on it's rise iirc in late 2017/early 2018 younger son's Asus GTX 760 DC2OC died just like that, he had to wait 1.5 months using spare ancient Radeon HD 5770 for me to find reasonable priced replacement in form of MSI GTX 1050Ti Gaming X few days before orthodox Easter. After returning to home from church when he unboxed the Easter bag full of presents he was literarily crying and refused to believe that 1050Ti box is a real thing, he thought I was trolling him and didn't believed untill he unboxed the card, he was kissing that card (I've recorded all that lol) like I've never saw someone is kissing any peace of HW ahahahaha. Hope his next kisses like that aren't going to end up on another graphics card but on some chick his age :D

HK-1, Shogo and Undying like this.
  6. Shogo

Shogo New Member

GPU:
    MSI/RX480/8Gb
    @CrazY_Milojko & @CPC_RedDawn I forgot to say it in my original post, I tried to downclock the RAM and GPU (at the same time, and only one of them too). I had the same issues sadly.

@Undying It's only sometimes while gaming... for now... I had this problem for 8 months now. Only fix I found was to intentionally make the device crash and hope it will not freeze the entire computer.

I bought this card brand new in 2017. Never ever tried to overclock anything (only when trying to solve this issue I used to underclock or overclock for the power).
    Only problem I can remember of, was when I got Monster Hunter World. The GPU was heating a lot, around 87°C.
    I stopped immediately playing this game when I realized it, and waited for driver updates. It was fine after the upgrade.

And thank you for the information about mining cards, I was not aware of this. One mistake avoided.

Yes, bad timing for me... well I think I will enjoy the time I have left with this card and try to find a reasonable priced replacement.
    I don't have any valid replacement, I changed for this RX 480 because the old one had the cooling system not working anymore (and is really outdated now). I only have a Geforce 7800 left.
    Of course, RMA is not an option... too late.

Anyway, thank you all guys. You got me an answer and I know what's happening now.
    Greatly appreciated the quick answers.

CrazY_Milojko and Undying like this.
  7. A2Razor

A2Razor Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    After driver crash, and recovery, assuming the PC is stable thereafter -- is there any change in reported clockspeed, memory clocks, or voltage? Sometimes following a driver recovery, e.g, memory clocks or core-clock will get 'stuck' at the maximum clock-state.

It may be the case that instability (just going off the description) happens during clock changes -- specifically that the card is stable so long as it's at a fixed frequency. May also be telling if you can record or plot the clockspeed while in games that pose problems vs those that aren't.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  8. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    As someone sad: crap happens :( Murphy's law at it's finest.

To add more salt on your wound ;) Since '95, that's the year I've transitioned from Amiga platform to first PC, PC HW failures I had can be counted... on fingers of one hand, just one single hand! And I've started to OC PC HW (first CPUs, then GPUs... a bit later RAM, monitors...) back in '95. Considering myself lucky why failed PC hardware list is so small in my case, but (as a son of electronics engineer) I was always a fan of overengineered cooling solutions, doesn't matter how loud or big it is it's just fine as long it cools propperly thing underneat it. Guess that plays a huge role in fact after a 1/4 of century later my list of dead PC hardware is so small. Collection of obsolete and fully functional PC hardware, most of it in original boxes and most in mint condition (except few few dried up caps) dating 20+ years in my basement collection is mind blowing, at least in my lady's eyes :D Hope some day one of my successors, grandchildren I guess, would cash in propperly all of that PC HW one day when I, same as all of us old farts here, came into that dedicated part of heaven made just for us PC entusiasts because I ain't gonna sell any of that, no way, long time serving "PC friends" in my eyes/mind are worth more just sitting boxed on a shelves, much more that money in my wallet can provide.

Back on topic... OP, I know it's gonna be a bit of a challenge, but try to find cheap replacement up to 4GB graphics card, one that miners don't want anymore. Let's say 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5, GTX 970 4GB GDDR5, GTX 960 4GB GDDR5, 1650 DDDR5, 1650 DDR6, 1650 Super.... with a bit of a luck maybe you can find RX 570 4GB from someone who's giving up on PC gaming (just married, ha!) and maybe is selling his complete PC build. If he's having all boxes of hardware inside that PC (motherboard box, graphics card box, CPU package box, PSU package box...) there are high chances that GPU inside is never been involved in mining. Don't hesitate much to buy such GPU, someone could be faster than you. These days finding well maintained GPU's with 6GB+ of VRAM not r@ped by some miner or "who gives a f#ck, I'll OC it like there is no tomorrow" PC gamer could be a challenge tho.... Last year in early December 2020 I've got my daughter a 2nd hand 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5 still under warranty for just 50€ to replace her GTX 660 2GB GDDR5 she was using for few years. She just plays CS:CO, Minecraft, GTA V, highly modded Sims 4 and few not so much demanding games and 660 is still doing just fine for her needs. 1050Ti is quite of an upgrade over GTX 660, she didn't asked for it but for just 50€ why the hell not, sold 660 boxed for 20€, at the end 1050Ti costed me total of 30€. Few months later: all hell brake loose, here in Serbia 1050Ti new in retail costs nearly 1.5x to 2x MSRP, if one can find one, it's just insane situation. Guess I've been lucky with that 1050Ti but atm and situation not gonna push my luck any further if not necessary.

Maybe some Guru3D member here has a GPU willing to sell it to you for a reasonable price. You're a new member here, still need to prove youself here ;) but there are many fine people here willing to help, who knows... A fact that does not benefit to you atm is that many of us here on Guru3D are heaving just one (or not a single one) "backup solution gaming graphics card" like that GTX 970 I was talking earlier and holding both it and the main gaming graphics card as a last droplet on a hand.

Shogo likes this.
  9. Shogo

Shogo New Member

GPU:
    MSI/RX480/8Gb
    I don't remember seeing something like this, I will check this next time I'm getting a crash.

@CrazY_Milojko I didn't have many HW failures either. But this one is not really welcome given the current situation about GPUs... Just had a cooling system on a GPU that went down after nearly 6 years of good services. And this RX 480 has been the replacement for now.
    Thanks for the recommendations, this is what I had in mind as temporary replacement (I mean, if things get back to normal one day...). I had a quick look already, nothing really reasonable.

Just hope that the RX will last until I find a replacement.

10. Shogo

Shogo New Member

GPU:
    MSI/RX480/8Gb
    @A2Razor I got some data, I need to plot these now. I have to remember how to use gnuplot and, when I have some time, I will draw some graphs using these values.

@CrazY_Milojko I found some options but I don't know if the prices are reasonable.... ZOTAC GTX 1660 Super AMP 500€, KFA2 RTX 2060 579€, MSI RX 6700 XT mech 2x 770€. From the local shop in my city. No idea if this is a good deal or not at all...

11. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    @Shogo Both 1660S and 2060 are overpriced way too much, but in situation we're in atm this is something to be expected, every decent gaming GPU's price skyrocketed. But 6700 XT looks interesting for 770€, she's also overpriced but if I was in the need for buying new GPU, have a cash to stretch up to 770€ for sure I would go for 6700 XT. For 270€ more than 1660S and 190€ more than 2060 that 6700 XT is a way better card for sure.

Just to put into perspective how "good" price of 700€ for that 6700 XT is here are 6700 XT cards I can get, but of course I'm not gonna do that, here in Serbia atm, before reading any further take a seat :(

ASROCK Radeon RX 6700XT Phantom Gaming 12G OC 12GB GDDR6 - 1049€ + VAT 20%
    ASUS Radeon RX 6700 XT Dual 12GB GDDR6 - 1060€ + VAT 20%
    Gigabyte Radeon RX 6700 XT AORUS ELITE 12 GB GDDR6 - 1060€ + VAT 20%
    Gigabyte Radeon RX 6700 XT Gaming OC 12 GB GDDR6 - 1038€ + VAT 20%
    MSI Radeon RX 6700 XT Gaming X 12GB GDDR6 - 1026€ + VAT 20%
    MSI Radeon RX 6700 XT MECH 2X OC 12GB GDDR6 - 1026€ + VAT 20%
    PowerColor RX 6700XT Red Devil OC 12GB DDR6 - 1038€ + VAT 20%
    Asrock RX 6700 XT Challenger D - 1162€ + VAT 20%
    Asrock RX 6700 XT Challenger Pro - 1209€ + VAT 20%
    Asrock RX 6700 XT Phantomg Gaming D 1255€ + VAT 20%

Mind you all those prices above are not retail prices but prices for me as a partner/distributor of one import-company here. It's just discusting, makes me wanna puke.

The hell with it, here is the compete list of cards available for me as a pertner atm, this is not an ad, no way I would buy any of these or sell those to anyone with such insane prices. It makes me wanna cry and hysterical laugh at the same time.

ASROCK Radeon RX 6700XT Phantom Gaming 12G OC 12GB GDDR6 123.200RSD
    Asus DUAL-GTX1650-O4G 38.200RSD
    Asus PH-GTX1650S-O4G 42.200RSD
    ASUS Radeon RX 6700 XT Dual 12GB GDDR6 124.600RSD
    Gainward RTX 2060 Ghost V1 6GB GDDR6 64.300RSD
    Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 EAGLE 12GB GDDR6 103.100RSD
    Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 AORUS Master 8GB GDDR6 174.100RSD
    Gigabyte GV-N166SOC-6GD 60.300RSD
    Gigabyte Radeon RX 6700 XT AORUS ELITE 12 GB GDDR6 124.600RSD
    Gigabyte Radeon RX 6700 XT Gaming OC 12 GB GDDR6 121.900RSD
    Gigabyte Radeon RX 6900 XT Gaming OC 16 GB GDDR6 196.900RSD
    KFA2 GeForce RTX3070 EX 1-click OC 8GB GDDR6 163.500RSD
    Manli GeForce RTX 2060 Gallardo 6GB GDDR6 64.600RSD
    MSI GeForce GTX 1650 4GB Ventus XS OC V1 37.500RSD
    MSI GeForce GTX 1650 D6 Ventus XS OC V2 38.200RSD
    MSI GTX 1050 TI 4GT OC 35.000RSD
    MSI GTX 1650 SUPER VENTUS XS OC 39.500RSD
    MSI Radeon RX 6700 XT Gaming X 12GB GDDR6 120.500RSD
    MSI Radeon RX 6700 XT MECH 2X OC 12GB GDDR6 120.500RSD
    Palit GeForce GTX1650 GamingPro 4GB GDDR6 38.900RSD
    Palit GeForce RTX 2060 Dual 6GB GDDR6 65.700RSD
    PowerColor RX 6700XT Red Devil OC 12GB DDR6 122.000RSD
    Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 570 4GB GDDR5 34.200RSD
    ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 69.700RSD
    ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2060 AMP 6GB GDDR6 71.800RSD
    ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3070 Twin Edge OC 167.500RSD
    Asrock RX 6900 XT OCF 286.600RSD
    Asus GeForce GTX 1650 4GB TUF P-Gaming 37.600RSD
    Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING OC 8GB GDDR6 171.600RSD
    Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 AORUS Master 10GB GDDR6 266.600RSD
    MSI GTX 1660 SUPER GAMING X 60.400RSD
    MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio 8GB GDRR6 174.100RSD
    Asrock RX 580 Phantom Gaming D 75.000RSD
    Asrock RX 6900xt Phantom Gaming D 207.600 RSD
    Asrock RX 6700 XT Challenger D 136.600RSD
    Asrock RX 6700 XT Challenger Pro 142.000RSD
    Asrock RX 6700 XT Phantomg Gaming D 147.400RSD
    Gigabyte GV-N2060OC-6GDV2.0 78.600RSD
    Asus CERBERUS-GTX1050TI-O4G 40.700RSD
    Asus TUF-GTX1650-4GD6-P-GAMING 46.700RSD
    Asus TUF-GTX1650-4GD6-P-GAMING 75.500RSD
    PH-GT1030-O2G 22.700RSD
    Asus TUF-GTX1650-O4GD6-P-GAM 47.500RSD
    Asus GTX1650-O4G-LP-BRK 48.200RSD
    Asus GT1030-SL-2G-BRK 21.700RSD
    Asus GT1030-2G-BRK 21.700RSD

Above prices under the spoiler in RSD *at the end of each line) divide by 117.50 and add VAT 20% and number you get is price in €.

Once again this is not an ad, no way I would advice anyone to buy above cards at those scalped prices, just forget it. This is just an example how miserable GPU price situation is here atm :mad:

So for those thinking GPU prices can't be any worse there where they live just look at the list above :(

Shogo likes this.
  12. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    It's sadly pretty hilarious that 770 euros is actually a good price for a 6700 XT today. Not that I'd want to ever pay even that much, but it's still much better than 900 euros.

My eyes would bleed if I had to pay 500€ for 1660 Super or 579€ for 2060.

Honestly, if I lost my video card now, I believe I would stop gaming altogether for a year or however long it will still take for idiots to stop paying real money to miners.

Undying likes this.
  13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    I still have one R9 280x if something goes wrong but yeah it would seriously bum everyone up. There was never a worse time to loose a gpu.

Kaarme likes this.
  14. Shogo

Shogo New Member

GPU:
    MSI/RX480/8Gb
    @CrazY_Milojko Thanks for the infos, always appreciated.
    I guess I need to check from time to time the stocks. I supposed these prices were too high.
    I asked a friend of mine, who got a 2060 super few times before the crisis, how much he paid for it. 428€ for a 2060 super.
    I will never buy from a scalper, but I checked the prices they are trying to sell their products. It's more expensive than my local shop o_O.
    The prices are insane in your country... Sometimes, I wonder who is going to pay this much for a GPU.
    I noticed a shop really close to my location that can get GTX 1660 for 300€. But still, I think it's a little expensive.

@A2Razor I plotted some data. By the way, every games can potentially make the crash happen.
    I used GPU-Z to get data. And gnuplot to visualize (on my Linux laptop used for my job).
    I tried Risk of Rain 2 and Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2.
    I noticed that the RAM frequency is 98% of the time at max (2 000 Mhz). When I stop playing, it goes down of course. At rest, 300 Mhz.
    Risk of Rain 2 is GPU intensive, nearly all the time 100% GPU but runs fine and temperature is not above 60°C.
    I played Xenoverse2 following a crash, GPU Load is inferior to Risk of Rain 2, but the RAM frequency and GPU frequency is at max (1303 Mhz for GPU, 2000 Mhz for GPU). Again, when I stop playing, everything goes down.
    Sorry for being a little slow. I had to make a game crash and, since the problem is random, I cannot control it.

@Kaarme I was thinking about the same thing, stop gaming. But I don't know how long it's going to be like this.
    At the moment, I can still watch videos and view webpages safely. This never makes it crash.
    I agree the prices are insane. I'm not going to spend so much money for a GPU like that.

15. srdjan1995

srdjan1995 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 4GB
    I had the similar if not the same issue. Same freezing in game, most of the time (9 out of 10) i had to hard reset PC. AMD Control Panel used to crash and Wattman used to reset when freezes and crashes occur. Nothing I tried seems to have helped. I also had temperature issues, low GPU usage, but I managed to fix that, but the freezing was still there. The freezing stopped after I changed RAM's and CPU. I think it was mainly due to RAM, because I changed RAM first, and that whole day I have not had a single crash. Day after I got the CPU and changed it too. I had 1x8GB + 1x4GB RAM sticks, both at the same CL and speed, but one was Samsung, the other was Kingston. Not saying this is the issue you have, maybe it's a different problem all together, but what I'm saying is that my PC and GPU had the same 'symptoms'.

RAM's I've installed are 2x8 GB @3200 ORION, and CPU is Ryzen 5 3600.

I hope you managed to fix it somehow bro. :)

16. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    Refering to this topic, anyone knows why my RX 580 8GB is downclocking itself? For example, when I play CSGO, it's stable 1480MHz, when I play rocket league on high performance, I had 1480 MHz in the entire match, but when I put it to high quality, it fluctuate between 1480-1100 or EVEN LOWER (while still "having" the 240Hz to match my monitor. The worst is actually on ETS 2, where I can't get 1480, since it's always downclocking (even tho I have barely 80FPS on ultra/high graphics). Vsync off, surely. Is it something to do with the graphics settings, or it's just fckery? I tried setting ALL freqs in Radeon settings to 1480, but even then it reduces it. Even setting chill between 200-240FPS, but nothing helped.

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Power limited. At those clocks my 580 pulls 220w but my tdp is 185w+/50% as i have 8+6pin on mine. What model do you have?

18. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming X, 1x8 pin only. Bios modded at 185W, not using Radeon Settings cuz I had crashes even at 1425 with wattman OC (maybe bcs of power tune?.), and reaching 1480 with bios mod oc(and stock wattman) Sooooo, what do to to have stable freqs even in games like ETS2 xd?

19. Shogo

Shogo New Member

GPU:
    MSI/RX480/8Gb
    Hi guys,
    Sorry for the long silence. Got a lot of work and I've been trying a lot of things with my RX 480.

My RAM has been tested with memtest, so I don't think it's the issue. I would have prefered it this way... But thanks for for sharing your experience =)

I tried something new, downloaded 3D Mark and launched the basic test.
    Of course, it put my card under heavy load. No crashes. I was little surprised. Using 4Go of ram, I have never been using this much (3Go on the biggest game I have).
    I have been doing this test for 1h30, no crashes.
    Doesn't go over 60°C under this load. One of my friend told me to try changing the thermal paste of the GPU, I don't know if it will change anything, but doesn't hurt I suppose.

I noticed something strange though while testing with 3D Mark, I got spike down on the GPU clock. 300 MHz.
    It matches the State 0 of the GPU tuning.
    After the test, I stay in State 1 or 2, never go back to State 0.
    I tried to play after testing, no crashes.

I need to test more, but it feels like this State 0 at 300 Mhz is breaking everything. And it needs some "warm up" or I can get crashes.
    I need to confirm all of this, but can I change this State 0 to match the State 1 (600 Mhz) ? Or is it a little too dangerous ?

20. gabsvm

gabsvm Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8gb
    In tuning, you go to the last state, click it and its gonna let you select it as min state and apply. With this gpu is not gonna clock down below that state. Same can be done with vram.