1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RX Vega Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Aug 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ht_addict

ht_addict Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Vega64(CF)
    Overkill is key. Taking out a limiting factor, I built my system with and EVGA 1600w.

2. Kaerar

Kaerar Master Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 64
    Kinda agree, though 1600W is way overkill, likely not getting very good efficiency with that high a wattage PSU. Not stressing it much either though :D

Vega64 is good with 850W other than the Seasonic one that doesn't like Vega. If you have a 9900K or a ThreadRipper though I'd push that out to a 1000W.

3. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Vega 56
    Thanks, mate! Where can I download that vBIOS? I don't see it in the first page of this thread.
    Thanks again and Merry Christmas! ;)

OK; nevermind. Already found the original poster on Reddit. For those interested this is the one, the only V64 vBIOS from a card that uses the nano PCB in the wild so far:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/199111/199111

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    JonasBeckman and OnnA like this.
  4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Hmm so there are Nano Vega 64's after all? Thought they all used the Vega 56 chip, interesting. :)

The ones I know about would be the Pulse from Sapphire with the extended cooler though rumors hinted at a 64 variant but nothing came of it and then the Red Dragon from Powercolor which I believe is also only available as a 56 and finally the stock Vega 56 Nano using a blower fan though it is smaller instead of these nano-PCB plus giant cooling solution methods used by Powercolor and Sapphire.

Though Sapphire uses a even larger tri-fan design for the Nitro+ and then the Nitro+ LE which is kinda hard to find anymore now used a vapor chamber and backplate for even greater effect though not as good as a water kit.

I do believe the Red Dragon is a tri-fan design too possibly being a bit longer than the Pulse though Sapphire has a pretty lengthy piece of copper on the heat fins so they might tie due to that. :D

Far as the design of the PCB itself goes the only "downside" I know about is the more compact component placing and less power phases at a 7 phase plus 1 for the HBM instead of 12 plus 1 with the voltage regulators having a thermal limit of 95 degrees though the VRM's themselves I believe are capable of higher.

EDIT: And of course Vega 56 is still a gamble since priority for Samsung HBM chips is on Vega 64's and unless they're using a revised version then Vega20 stacks are likely going to be taking priority now too although these GPU's are probably lower in quantity since they're not mass marketed to general consumers.
    (Unless AMD goes for a 12nm~ or 7nm~ refresh or a new model entirely such as the hinted at Vega2 logo whatever will come of that which could use a refreshed HBM chip or stack of chips with better specs.)

Not that the difference is massive but Samsung chips and even at 1.25v instead of Vega 64's 1.35v (Unless flashed, come-on just add a proper VRAM voltage in Wattman already AMD.) well it does allow for somewhat higher speeds.

And the GPU does benefit nicely from 800 -> 900 and even to 1000 or 1050 ~ 1100 depending on where it start showing errors. (Usually how it begins, scale back and it should be stable but go too far and it's a driver crash instead.)

Anyways nothing new really, probably pretty well established what the drawback or weak points of Vega's design is at this point, nice to see a Nano bios being actually available for a Vega 64 GPU though, that was interesting to learn about. :)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    Jackalito and OnnA like this.

5. Synoxia

Synoxia Active Member

GPU:
    Rog Vega 64
    Playing Assetto Corsa with oculus rift crashes GPU driver on the new adrenalin 2019. Anyone experiencing the same? (Even under stock settings)

EDIT: I am using SteamVR too because oculus rift rendering doesn't work.

6. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 56
    Just got back from RMA my card.
    I first got a RX Vega 56 from Gigabyte.
    It crashed my whole PC and sent it to RMA. After a month or so, they returned the money.
    Was lucky enough to find a Sapphire VEGA 56 Nitro+ for the same price.

Here is my bench score in Time Spy (I only set in WattMan the auto undervolt.)

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/31669201?

Only downside I could find right now is that the Gigabyte had Samsung memory and the Sapphire has Hynix. But, I can pass on mem OC i guess.
    Plus side, it doesn't crash the PC and the card looks ultra good. It's gorgeous.

I'm super happy right now!

7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jackalito and jimpsar like this.
  8. Flanker35M

Flanker35M Active Member

GPU:
    Red Devil Vega64
    Soon new year 2019! Hopefully will be a good one to everyone :) Have been tinkering with my Vega 64, trying to find the best UV settings. It seems I have gotten closer to what I want. Still does not boost to 1630MHz though, but temperature is a steady 60´C while playing and fans not screaming like jet engines :p I post my values below, using Balanced BIOS and latest drivers for the GPU. CPU slightly overclocked, 4GHz or so. Any opinions are welcome!

So to the values. For the GPU core the Frequency is at default, voltages are P1 890mV, P2 920mV, P3 940mV, P4 960mV, P5 980mV, P6 1000mV and P7 1015mV. HBM is at 1100MHz and 975mV, memory timing at value 1. Power limit +10%.

With these settings IL-2 Sturmovik has run very well without crashes or similar. If you have any comments, feel free to shoot :)

Jackalito and OnnA like this.
  9. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    ^^ Yo, better give us screen (like this):
    Mainly for Forza (FH3/MS7) and BFV

-> http://tinypic.com

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    Jackalito and Flanker35M like this.
  10. Flanker35M

Flanker35M Active Member

GPU:
    Red Devil Vega64
    @OnnA I would post, but seems I would need to use an external link where to save the pics? Not very keen in doing that, already have trouble remembering all the passwords :p :D But as looking at your pic the voltages seem to be below 1000mV until at states P6 and P7. And power limit at -5%? I tried at 0% and the core clocked a bit lower and was not as steady as with the value I use now. Do I need to increase mV ?

11. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
  12. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 56
    Or https://prnt.sc/
    You don't need to register
    IF and only IF you want a gallery, you can use your already logged on Google Account.

OnnA likes this.
  13. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    :D
    Basically, it gives the same results all the time, thanks to HBM2 Cache we have more VRAM and thus it needs less RAM,
    but it is a lot faster, and in the end we have turned our RAM into faster one ;)

4GB & 6GB GPUs now strugling with Ultra Texture settings.
    Also we don't need it, cuz the difference is very marginal in normal gaming scenario.
    Just Use High Quality textures instead, game will be somewhat similar in first glance.
    Performance hit is just too big.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  14. jays_swe

jays_swe New Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 8GB
    Hello ! Any one did manage to put in the Hynix memory support in the Asus vega 64 strix bios so it will work to flash it to the Strix 56 cards? Search but dont seems like anyone have done it.

15. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 56
    I also searched but couldn't find anything.
    What we basically have to do is mod the VEGA 64 BIOS and enable Automatic memory type detection, just like the VEGA 56 BIOS are set.
    How though? I don't know.

I've read though, that some people flashed VEGA 64 BIOS into a VEGA 56 with Hynix memory and it worked. But, I'm not risking it right now.

16. Maddness

Maddness Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW
    There is some very juicy deals in my country atm with Asus Strix Vega 64. It's over $130 off. That and the Samsung 31.5" 2560x1440 144hz Freesync 2 HDR monitor at $180 off. It makes it very tempting. Especially coming from my RX480.

How well does Vega 64 do at ultra settings in 2560x1440. Does it have frame rates between 60fps to 100fps.

17. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire V56 Pulse
    Judging from my V56@2560*1440, I would say easily, especially if you tweak it a bit.

Maddness likes this.
  18. jays_swe

jays_swe New Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 8GB
    The reference 64 have hynix support. Miners like to mod bios so mayhe they find a fix for the strix card.

19. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    If You can go for Sapphire (it's safe bet)
    Sometimes (rarely) you need to re-paste it all over (it gets damn HOT if You don't)
    Just listen to all parties (maby someone here have ASUS Strix?)

-> https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-rx-vega64-strix-oc,5520.html

Pros
    • Excellent 1440p performance
    • Good build quality
    • Aesthetically pleasing design
    Cons
    • Price is still too high
    • Temperatures rise in closed cases
    • Fan speed should be a little higher
    • Missing a thermal pad between PCB and backplate

Maddness likes this.
  20. Maddness

Maddness Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW
    Thanks for that OnnA. Asus Strix it's the only Vega in my country. Cannot order any other make as these never sold very well here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.