RX Vega Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Aug 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Hmm well if the reported speeds are 167Mhz for the video memory clock speeds then it's obviously not stressing the GPU enough for it to hit the higher clock states.
    I wonder if the GPU core clocks and setting P2 as the minimum here would help although the only way I can see it crashing is if the GPU hits a point somewhere during the game where it boosts but the voltage is too low and thus it crashes or it somehow falls below the min voltage which I think is 0.850mv for the GPU core and that can be unstable but that seems less likely that it could drop below the minimum value.

Could also be a game bug or driver issue although I am curious how low of a load that tile is even putting on the GPU for it to remain on the idle speeds for memory which should be on p2 or the 500mhz speed and not p1 but I guess the game just doesn't generate enough workload for the GPU to be stressed at all thus it maintains the idle speeds.

And overriding that HBM minimum clock state didn't help and voltage should be a single static value.

There's also the reported memory voltage value in Wattman mostly working as the voltage floor value but the default here is already 0.950mv I believe so that is already above the 0.850mv which is the minimum value the GPU core can handle.
    Raising it to 1.0v might help keep overall voltage to a level which is stable even if the GPU activity fluctuates a bit resulting in a higher clock speed briefly and possibly stability from running at a lower voltage as that happens but that's assuming it's a voltage issue at all in the first place which if forcing a higher minimum memory and gpu power state isn't working then it might not be related to power at all.

Which would also remove the 167mhz issue then since if overriding it to where the memory speed minimum value is 500mhz instead then it won't ever drop to 167mhz and the idle speed for Vega 64 for the HBM2 modules. But then what would cause these stability issues.

Adjusting the Wattman settings aren't going to be doing much for p1 to p5 either short of modifying these via a registry modification to force settings which are otherwise locked off since by default only the p6 and p7 states are available for the GPU clock and the p3 state for memory.

EDIT: And if it's a driver bug then with the popularity of the game itself AMD would have to respond to issues with stability.

Just more questions and not really any answers I suppose, I'm leaning towards clock fluctuation and it hitting a higher speed but while not having upped the voltage thus stability problems but that could be incorrect.

EDIT: Or a driver issue because even if the game is lightweight in terms of GPU demand it should still generate something and that would move the power state into a higher non-idle level which it doesn't seem like it's doing that at all.

2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Try to Disable ReLive and
    rename this two files:
    C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext
    amddvr.exe.Bak & dvrcmd.exe.Bak

To prevent it from running. This one causes issues with BF V (sometimes game crashes when this is ON and You are not recording)
    This will be fixed in New Adrenalin 2019 BTW.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  3. slicer

slicer Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64
    Jackalito and OnnA like this.
  4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    ^^ I wonder how fast it will be?
    I have 2 sets of 3Dmark test (templates) for Driver prelimenary-speed Testing.
    First: 1732MHz/1150HBM2 used for Hardcore games like UBI AC: O etc. ;)
    Second: 1790/1210 with 1.137mV for > 28k scoring

If i get 28.500 or 29k then Yes this Driver will gives us roughly +5 up to 10FPS across the board....
    But if we get >29k + then this one will be the Fastest to date driver for Vega XTX, +7-15FPS depends on Gaming scenario.

Note:
    Im always using the same stable OC (or De-OC) to actually know how fast The driver is.
    18.9.x Branch was fast (28k for the first time)
    18.10.x & 18.11.x was a little slower
    18.12.x is now the fastest to date (28.094 GPU pts. in FS)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018

5. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 5700 XT
    Yep, looking forward to that one, especially as I'm about to build a new system with a Vega56 Pulse from Sapphire. My first Vega graphics card, so I've been taking a look at this thread to get some basics before I start playing with it. Speaking of which, Onna in the OP stated the following:
    "**We will have A.I. managed - Draw Stream Binning Rasterizer in December Driver Big update >18.12.1<
    I think it will uplift Vega uArch performance by additional 20-30% (conservative prognosis)"

But, looking at that driver changelog there's no trace of any kind of implementation for Draw Stream Binning Rasterizer.
    Also, wasn't that particular rumor dismissed ages ago? What's the source for such a bold claim? I'm curious as I don't wanna get my expectations high on something that turns out to be nothing but smoke.

I'll keep a look at this thread and I'll probaby ask around for your wisdom once I've got the new build up and running.

Cheers! :)

6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    ^^ As i said we need to wait for Driver then test it -> If we have 15-20% Uplift
    then Yes they managed to Get this working.
    Fingers crossed :cool::rolleyes:

Note:
    The feature is still present in White Paper BTW
    And Yes it can be used, but needs to be implemented by Developer (My guess like in FH4)
    So it's Physically (uArch) and in Driver Ready even now.

7. hazochun

hazochun Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Vega 56 OC Air
    hmmm Updated to new driver, the Enabling Relive causing shuttering(fps stay the same but look not smooth, 144hz screen)

Anyone tested the HBM timing thing?

8. Jumbik

Jumbik Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64 N+
    Tried the automatic overclocking, I'm not sure how exactly it should be working, but watching the GPU Z sensor I've seen the core clock to jump up to 1850Mhz before the driver recovered from an error.

The automatic tuning is happening very quickly without chance to do a stress test.

I would love to know how it actually works. :)

9. LaEmmily

LaEmmily New Member

GPU:
    Strix RX VEGA 64
    I need auto UV auto OC GPU and auto OC memory at the same time. I believe the driver has been a lot of bugs like keep crashing to the desktop also after I pressed the auto oc memory then the memory show up 945 lol, how memory OC? Urr really disappointed junky Adrenalin 2019

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Performance

Rumours regarding AMD's big 2018 driver have been circulating for quite some time, some of which stated that AMD would deliver some major performance boosts, specifically on their RX Vega series graphics cards, using a hardware feature called "Primitive Shaders",
    one of Vega' most highly sought after upgrades.

We can say here that Adrenalin 2019 Edition/18.12.2 is not primarily about performance upgrades, though it is worth noting that driver optimisation has enabled some notable performance upgrades since the release of Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 17.12.1, a lot of which is due to day-1 driver optimisations for new titles.

Looking at the list of games in the above slide, we can see that Call of Duty: WWII receives a major performance boost thanks to this year's driver optimisations on an RX 570.
    This is not due to da-1 drivers either, as AMD's latest driver upon that game's release was 17.11.1, which is older than Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided also gained a 6% performance uptick, a boost that is not from day-1 driver optimisations.

Project ReSX

Project ReSX is perhaps one of the most exciting developments of Radeon's driver team from early 2018, pledging to improve the performance of popular eSports titles by increasing average framerates, lowering 99th percentile frametimes and reducing the response times of popular games when using Radeon hardware.

The results of this project were the highlight of AMD's Radeon Software 18.3.1 driver, though since then AMD has continued to improve the playability of titles like Fortnite, Overwatch and PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds.
    When combined with the performance and latency improvements of 18.3.1, Radeon has achieved a colossal performance uptick in these titles since the launch of Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition.

More information about Project ReSX is available here.

Conclusion - An Adrenalin Rush of new features

There is a lot of information to cover here, so much so that we haven't even mentioned some aspects to AMD's Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 18.12.2 driver, from their enhanced Radeon Chill support to Radeon Overlay's enhanced feature set and the addition of USR support on 21:9 monitors.

In all, AMD's Radeon Software Adrenalin software supports 23 new or updated features, easily making this release the most feature-rich upgrade to AMD's Radeon Software ecosystem to date.

Reading through the enhancements list alone, it is hard not to be impressed with what RTG has accomplished here, implementing a feature list so large that every Radeon user will find something new and useful with Radeon Software 18.12.2, making AMD's drivers more of an asset than ever before.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018

11. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    jimpsar likes this.
  12. Synoxia

Synoxia Member Guru

GPU:
    Rog Vega 64
    So not worth doing this tweak? With adrenalin
    I've noticed one thing. Minimum voltage from overdriventool is 800, not 850. Should i rise it? (This is the way my strix is at stock)

WE CAN NOW EDIT HBM TIMINGS

Did anyone test those "level 1" and "level 2" timings?

13. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT + Morpheus 2
    Tested hbm timings 1 and 2 and found them to be on par with the default. Lvl 1 did crash the driver once tho..,

14. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    ^^ For me Lev 1 is the fastest (majoity of Vega will have it at Lev.1)
    So far Auto & Lev2 was also good and stable.
    Im now testing Lev.1 -> to check if its really best.

15. Flanker35M

Flanker35M Active Member

GPU:
    MSI SeaHawk 2080Ti
    Tested the new drivers. Kind of a mixed bag. Easiest seems to be using Manual Mode in WattMan instead of automatic settings. On Auto(any of them) when starting a game the fans of the Vega 64 spun up to maximum RPM for a bit before the game launched itself. At least on title IL-2 Sturmovik. After that they settled to the curvature in settings. I noted no performance gains in this title and even I set HBM2 to 1100MHz the graphs showed only 800-945MHz. Need to dig up some documentation about the settings, for example memory timings. What is exactly their purpose and how are they supposed to be used etc?

Personally I found the old temperature limit / fan speed easier to use than this new one. Maybe I am too old for radical changes :p As for the mV settings there is a plenty to set. Do I really need to touch them or just tweak the P6 and P7 as before? Are gains so small if tweaking lower states that the time invested fiddling vs gains has diminishing returns? And with the DSR they could have done a slider or something that automatically picks the width x height according to your aspect ratio. I run 2560 x 1080 curved screen so th next step would be..?

Game advisor was a bit of "what am I supposed to do with this". It gave tips that any moderate gamer knows, which settings have greatest impact on FPS etc. It was interestng to see the frame times and such though. And seems Vega did not spike much in IL-2 Sturmovik. Some here and there, but usually at 10-12ms. Good or bad, hard to say with my knowledge. In my opinion the app is geared more towards the more popular titles like BF etc. rather than todays rather marginal market of flight simulators. Maybe the most popular gmae with some flying and known to masses is War Thunder. I regard it as a mere arcadeish shooter even on hardest settings.

TL;DR With a few updates will be a good set of drivers with functions tweakers and regular gamers will appreciate. Some are a bit meh, as mentioned in the review of them here at G3D.

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Tweak only P6 and P7 as before.
    But first find sweet spot for every P-State ! (like me, to be Cool&Quiet)

Not an easy taks, but doable :D

jimpsar likes this.
  17. slicer

slicer Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64

Can You show a screen from Your Wattman P-states?
    What were Your temps when doing that run?

What was your previous best in 3Dmark FireStrike?
    Did You do a clock vs clock run to know if these drivers are better?

18. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Read the OP ;) (2nd post)

[​IMG]

Yes im always do the same OC, to know if drivers are better optimised.
    tW, Temps and Stable OC.....
    Unfortunately im PSU short for my ZEN+Vega OC, so no World records for me this rund.
    But ZEN 3xxx will need less A ;) (If you see Overall at ~30FPS then You can tell that PSU is short with Amperage, 750W have ~72A, Vega alone need 42-46A)

Here some of my tests (i will re-do with ReLive Turned OFF)
    -> https://www.3dmark.com/results

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  19. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Added Vulkan™ Support in Adrenalin 2019 18.12.2 WHQL

• VK_EXT_inline_uniform_block
      • This extension introduces the ability to back uniform blocks directly with descriptor sets by storing inline uniform data within descriptor pool storage.
    • VK_KHR_swapchain_mutable_format
      • This extension enables processing of swapchain images as different formats to that used by the window system, which is particularly useful for switching between sRGB and linear RGB formats.
    • VK_EXT_scalar_block_layout
      • This extension enables C-like structure layout for uniform and storage buffers, allowing non-scalar types to be aligned solely based on the size of their components.
    • Sparse Support is Enabled
      • Sparse support relaxes the requirement to have memory allocated and bound to resources prior to being used. It also relaxes the requirement for the bound memory to be contiguous and for the memory bindings to be immutable.

20. slimmy427

slimmy427 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA Hybrid 1080ti
    Is anyone here familiar with the gigabyte vega 64 OC? If anyone has insight to this card and how to actually utilize its "enhanced features" I would greatly appreciate it. I was really hoping that Adrenaline 2019 would some how help...same thing as other attempts.

I have been having continuous problems with OC and UV. During the process of OC or UV, the entire system crashes and sometimes corrupts the system boot. There is no driver recovery. I've tried Wattman, overdrivetool, Afterburner, PP Tables and now the new adrenaline drivers. Everything I try seems to be limited by the bios or low grade phases or the custom PCB setup.

Overclocking is a waste of time as there is no overhead on the core with what I've been doing, even though it has plenty of power overhead...12+1 phases and my 1000w gold PSU. Undervolting the card can be successful but, the VDDC becomes glitched at 1.05 v and I then need to reset the driver and UV.

The Auto features of the new driver (clean installed) crashes my system and corrupts boot. When manually set I can acheive the following:
    +15% - +50% power has roughly the same results (GPU-z 210w - 280w flux during stress testing)
    1580/1602 mhz (no OC or UC) P7@1100 P6@1050 P5@1000
    1020 HBM voltage untouched. I think lowering it affects the SOC and the crap PCB
    3000rpm on dual fans resulting in 69c core, 74c HBM, 98c on the "Hot Spot"

When let at stock the Hot spot on this card, with a 15%+ power boost, will throttle at 105c.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.