RX Vega Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Aug 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H3llSp4wN

H3llSp4wN Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Hello Guys, my first time here, i hope you can help me with this one [​IMG]

last friday i bought a Sapphire Pulse Vega 56, ( 3 display ports and 1 HDMI )

In order to obtain vega64 performance and unlock higher voltages in samsung HBM, i flashed the Sapphire Nitro+ Vega64 bios.

Everything ok, the card boot up nice and smooth.

The problem is, the Sapphire Nitro+ card has 2 display ports and 2 HDMI, so i noticed that my 3rd Display port is dead with this bios ( wich makes sense ).

So i tried to flash back the stock bios ( i've made a backup with gpu-z ) and problems starts here.

i repeat the same procedure, CMD in admin mode // atiflash.exe -unlockrom 0 // atiflash.exe -p 0 -f bios.rom, atiflash gives me following error: ( write passed 80000/8000, write verified 2/80000 fail, error 01FL1 )

If i try to flash the VEGA 64 NITRO+ again it flash's without problems, but i've tried almost every bios from techpower gpu database and i allways get the same error.

i tried boot with the rescue bios and switch to the first one, but same thing happens!

Tried another computer, same thing.

It seems to me that must be some kind of downgrade protection because its the only bios compiled in 2018 in techpower database!

i think i allready tried almost everything!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    OnnA likes this.
  2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Maby Leave it that way? (V64 Nitro+ is better)
    Use only Valid DP port, if everything working Ok then don't change it.

3. H3llSp4wN

H3llSp4wN Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    your probably right, since i can get all DP ports in the low power BIOS.

4. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Plus with a SoftPPTable registry edit you can change that power target limit even on the Low Power BIOS ;)

5. Titan29

Titan29 Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 | 7900XTX
  6. apple020997

apple020997 Active Member

GPU:
    7900XT 20GB+WB
    Looking at it on TPU (https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/199157/199157) it’s the most recent one (build date 2017-09-14 16:34:00) for reference air-cooled boards.
    I underlined the differences between the 8737 and this one in this pic:
    https://imgur.com/a/DxLpUgM

I’m going to try it on my reference+waterblock 64 (with resinless chip).

EDIT: if I use the picture tool and add the link the image won’t show, I added the link

7. Flanker35M

Flanker35M Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6950XT
    @apple020997 Got it. So unless PowerColor releases a more recent BIOS for the card I have to go down the road to tweaktown :D In that I am so bad...

8. apple020997

GPU:
    7900XT 20GB+WB
    Not that a BIOS is very important in the big amount of tweaking you can do with a Vega...
    I think that every single Vega owner must do is undervolting as much as possible without losing performance and overclock the HBM2 to at least 1050MHz (most cards can do that, mine not a single MHz over 1125 or it crashes, 1100 rock solid). So the card is cooler, quieter, more efficient and faster. Win-win-win-win, in my books.

DanielRX, Flanker35M and OnnA like this.
  9. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Size of the Chip is what matters today :D

apple020997 likes this.
  10. apple020997

GPU:
    7900XT 20GB+WB
    Tried the 8892. Same exact performance/power usage/temps/stability as the 8737 I had before (on my downvolt settings). Flashed with AMD/ATI ATIFlash.
    Strangely enough (as from first BIOS to 8737) I had to reinstall drivers...
    I’m keeping this. Well, moar numbah (8892 vs 8737) moar bettah? XD

11. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I've fallen hard for VEGA, I've managed to sell off my RTX 2080 Ti, and have bought yet anotherr Gigabyte VEGA 64 Gaming OC (2x Gigabyte RX VEGA 64 Gaming OC, one PowerColor RX VEGA 64 Red Devil). The GTX 1080 in my HTPC rig is doing a damn nice job, so I'm not gonna fix something that ain't broken. The RTX 2080 Ti is a wonderful and amazingly powerful card, but I don't neeed such raw powah, besides, my monitors are Freesync and Freesync 2 capable.

Maddness, OnnA and apple020997 like this.
  12. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I got it! Thee PowerColor Red Devil will go into my i7 4770K rig, and though I like this card, two similar looking card in CF/SLi does look better!
    [​IMG]

apple020997 and Undying like this.
  13. apple020997

GPU:
    7900XT 20GB+WB
    Yes, CrossFire is very good loking indeed, especially because it’s bridgeless!

Btw, how good/bad is the CrossFire scaling with Vega 64s?

14. G13Homi

G13Homi Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Find me xfire supported games anymore.... BF1 runs well in xfire but the game suck imo. So finding supported games is tye key

apple020997 likes this.
  15. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Been playing Strange Brigade as of late, and glad to report there's CF support for it. Now, back to haing two third party cooled card in the case, it didn't occur to me that having such a config requires good intake and exhaust system. The Tecware ARC F3 fans I had (pic in previous post) look damn good, they're just that, they look good but at about 38CFM, they don't move much warm air within the case to without.

I rummaged thru my collection of fans, and have found some good Corsair SP120 fans and a 120mm as well as a 140mm AF fan, decided to use them all to help exhaust warm air within the case. Mounted the ARC F3 1200 RGB fan and a Corsair 140mm AF fan to move air toward my cards.....especially the top one.Mounted a 120mm Corsair AF case fan (about 63CFM) at the back, and used 3x 120mm SP fans (not in pic, each fan is 60+ CFM compared to the 3x stock 120mm fans at about 43CFM). I definitely do see an improvement in temps for the top card as well as my CPU.
    [​IMG]

16. Flanker35M

Flanker35M Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6950XT
    @apple020997 Okey! I did try this UV, but seemed that success or lack of it depended on spiritual world or position of the stars rather than settings. One day it worked flawlessly, the other all I got was BSOD or freezes :( So I just settled for letting Adrenalin software adjust voltages, pumped GBM2 to 1050MHz and called it a day. I would suspect my PSU could be the culprit, not sure if 850W is good enough..

EDIT: The flight sim I play supports CF/SLI, has a setting for it. Maybe another RedDevil + a bigger PSU.. ;)

17. apple020997

GPU:
    7900XT 20GB+WB
    I’ve heard some Vega 64s can’t be undervolted at all, it depends on luck...
    Btw, I have an EVGA 650GQ (650W)

Maddness likes this.
  18. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    From my own, admittedly limited, testing I've noted that you can't really rely on a single game or application workload to determine stability for Vega.

As there are multiple limits in play, notable clocks, voltages and power, the interaction between them can be rather complex.

So, for example, I might find settings that are perfectly stable for benchmarking where the GPU (and power) load is quite high but in an application with a lower power load the card would try and boost clocks higher than it does while benchmarking and then the voltages might be insufficient to remain stable. If you want to find perfectly optimal values there's a lot of work involved. If you can get consistent crashes in particular applications I'd suggest logging clock and power values with GPU-Z and see what numbers you're hitting right around the time of the crash, it might give you an idea of why you're encountering instability.

I had my first core freeze when I just pushed the power limit all the way up there with my undervolt softmod, turns out that the card tried boosting to 1800 MHz @ 1030 mV and that didn't go so well. :D

19. Flanker35M

Flanker35M Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6950XT
    @Exodite Yeah. Seems so. Need to find a balance for the clocks and power. The game in question is IL-2 Sturmovik The Great Battles. Other games I play is basically BattleTech only. So need to find good settings by trial and error. Some say P6 and P7 has to use different voltage, some say HBM voltage can not be below the core voltage etc. Kind of a jungle out there :D

20. apple020997

GPU:
    7900XT 20GB+WB
    @Exodite
    @Flanker35M

I’ve never seen a more complex GPU to OC/UV, and I played with everything from 2011 onwards (HD6xxx series, fermi cards onwards)...
    Let’s also add that HBM2 voltage is mislabeled in drivers since it isn’t HBM2 voltage and the recipe for an extremely difficult OC/UV is ready

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.