RX Vega Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Aug 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flanker35M

Flanker35M Active Member

GPU:
    MSI SeaHawk 2080Ti
    Hi!

Seems the Wattman is quite unstable in the drivers. Most of my crashes are due this. Now I have found, knocking wood, a decent setting that seems to work. I only play IL-2 Sturmovik The Great Battles and occasionally BattleTech. In IL-2 the Vega 64 runs 99% activity, GPU at 1560-1592MHz(P7 at 1652MHz) and memory at 1050MHz. +30% power setting. The memory and GPU seem to run solidly at all times, with occasional spikes which are caused when spawning into the game. Just a question. I run the Red Devil card at BIOS switch in Balanced mode. Worth running in the Turbo or how about Silent? Sorry for dumb questions, just a bit out of the loop in OC etc :D

2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Try, and see for Youself :D
    Then share Your opinion with me, and others.

3. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PC VEGA64 Red Devil
    Ugh, the seller just contacted me, prolly afraid I'd change my mind, he's gonna meet me to complete the deal.

4. G13Homi

G13Homi Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 2x xfx
    Vega CF is not easy to enjoy. Most games (95%) I play lack support, the ones that do are old and dated. But to be honest, I play most games at 4k 60 fps mixed high and ultra settings with a single card.

Maddness likes this.

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    On the page 45 You have YT for OCed Vega XTX (way above 70FPS on average)
    Here default Vega 64/56 with ZEN 2700X

Overall it's good to see UE4 games working well also on Radeons !
    GJ UE Team & Our Driver Team :cool:

[​IMG]

6. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PC VEGA64 Red Devil
    Got the card a short while back, it's a really great lookin' card for sure
    [​IMG]

Whoa Nellie! The Red Devil is a monstrous card, I mean its size, it dwarfs my Palit RTX 2080 Ti!
    [​IMG]

A final pic of it in my rig with the stock Gigabyte RX VEGA 64, that card' really small compared to the RD...
    [​IMG]

7. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Getting my Red Devil on Friday!

@Flanker35M : I heard you only loose very few fps when switching to the silent BIOS but temps get MUCH better. So it should be worth a try. :)

8. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PC VEGA64 Red Devil
    I played a few rounds of UT3 just to see how high the temp would go, and also to see what kind of boost the core would go (adjusted memory clock to 960 and left the rest alone). I was surprised to see my 2nd card (the Gigabyte one) boosted the core to 1646mhz while the Red Devil was at 1664mhz....honestly don't recall seeing the Gigabyte go higher than 1630mhz when I had it on its own. Anayway, I'd almost had a heart attack because I noted that GPU fans on the Red Devil was listed as '0' RPM after the gaming session. Read online that when temps on the card reached a certain threshold (60C I think), the fans stop spinning.....they should put that in bold on the box, would have spared me (and I'm sure a few others) a near coronary.
    [​IMG]

386SX and OnnA like this.
  9. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    @mikeysg JUst gonna say...for your new card...the PowerColor Vega 64 Red Devils are beast at overclocking. Best to use Overdriventool for it...and I would recommend flashing one of the 3 bios switch to the PowerColor Vega 64 Bios for added performance but keep in mind the throttling temp is lower on the LC bios.

Also your PC Red Devil should have samsung HBM and for the Powercolor Cards your HBM should easily do 1100 Mhz. Also check in Overdriventool for your core's P7 state voltage as Powercolor bios tends to throw way more power at the Core voltage on all P states but most especially the P7 max state.

10. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PC VEGA64 Red Devil
    I don't think GPUZ is reading the core speed correctly, I mean it seems to be giving me credible enough readings on my 2nd card, but the main card core speed reading is just wrong.....below was with my first run of Metro 2033 Redux. Do note the readings on the left tab, that's my Red Devil, memory reading's spot on though.
    [​IMG]
    Next, tried the benchmark again, and still got a very high core speed, even higher than the previous!
    [​IMG]

11. Flanker35M

Flanker35M Active Member

GPU:
    MSI SeaHawk 2080Ti
    S!

386SX. Will try that. I monitored how the card behaves in the game I play most, IL-2. The GPU runs at 1566MHz solid give or take single digit changes, never boosts to the 1630MHz RedDevil P7 state is. But mainly a straight line. Memory runs rock solid 1050MHz. Temperature is 60-65´C depending on room temperature. Activity is 99% across the board. My Ryzen 2700X is at 10-30% usage. Now the game crashed again due WattMan, with black screen having colored lines and rebooted system.

Next try is silent mode without any UV or OC and default settings. Shall see.

386SX likes this.
  12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Some Games do not like Radeon DVR (try to Disable ReLive)
    Or make it as do-not -start

C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext
    amddvr.exe & dvrcmd.exe add .no (dvrcmd.exe.no)
    Enjoy ;)

Flanker35M and 386SX like this.
  13. Flanker35M

Flanker35M Active Member

GPU:
    MSI SeaHawk 2080Ti
    S!

Modified the 2 files OnnA mentioned. No crash so far, but again I am running the RedDevil in Silent Mode without any UV or OC. FPS seemed to be OK, lost a few here and there as 386SX mentioned. But nothing major though.

386SX and OnnA like this.
  14. Jumbik

Jumbik Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64 N+
  15. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    ^^ Good to know ;)
    18.10.2 is a way to go i see (waiting for WHQL, should be around the 'corner')

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Im using ReLive for Screenshots ;)
    -> It's not a big issue on my side, Frostbite games sometimes crashing to desktop :eek:
    When is OFF totally it is Stable 100% in all games.

17. Flanker35M

Flanker35M Active Member

GPU:
    MSI SeaHawk 2080Ti
    S!

This is strange. I had undervolting and only a modest OC on the card. It ran all the time on steady MHz on both GPU and memory. FPS was OK, but a bit low to my taste. So I started OC gradually to see if it helps. Result was immediate crashes and D3D errors in IL-2. So I went back to desktop and did a Reset to factory settings in Adrenalin CP. And what happens next? My FPS jumps UP!!! Umm..okey! I am at a loss here :p

18. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PC VEGA64 Red Devil
    I'm encountering a weird issue, never happened before when I had Crossfire cards like R9 290X, HD7970, HD6970, HD3870 x2 + HD3870, HD5870 (I'm listing my CF setups to demonstrate that I ain't new to CF). I'd installed Adrenalin Ed 18.10.1 and somehow, don't ask me how, it'd change to 17.12....this was not a one off, it just did it again and I'm thoroughly confused.

19. Maddness

Maddness Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW
    That's not just a crossfire thing. I have had that happen using my rx480 single GPU setup. Must be a bug in the drivers. It doesn't happen every install, just did it the once.

mikeysg likes this.
  20. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PC VEGA64 Red Devil
    Ah, noted.....strange that it has never happened before to me with all the quad (I forgot, I actually had 2x HD3870 X2), triple (HD 6990 + HD 6970) and dual GPU setups I'd had in the past. Even up to more recently the dual R9 290X CF setup, I'd never encountered this. I've thoroughly wiped my system of all previous AMD driver (even wiped anything to do with nVidia....PhysX to be precise) and installed Adrenalin Ed 18.10.2, I hope it sticks this time.

Maddness likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.