RX Vega Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Aug 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    I honestly give up. Due to the weird performance and general unexplained…. weirdness... I ordered a replacement card, perhaps I just got unlucky and had a faulty item, seems not... I cannot, just cannot get an undervolt to actually work. To be honest why exactly is there an option to control this in wattman yet we're using a 3rd party program?

[​IMG]

2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    Make acustic limit to 1700MHz or set it to 0.
    then try again, finally never set all P-states the same.
    Try to go below 1.000mV for HBM Infinity Fabric (P3 HBM set it to 975 or 987)
    Also worth noting is that Vega LiQuiD 100% Fan Speed is ~3300RPM :D

So we have for you:
    P5 = 1100v
    P6 = 1094v
    P7 = 1112v

HBM P3 = 975 or 987 or 993v

Try to use HWiNFO64
    We're using Our tool because it's way faster to switch.
    Also give yourself some time to Know the Vega uArch, it is something new.
    Try to enjoy it and make it work as you want ;) (it's doable)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  3. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Thanks mate really appreciate it, I'll give it a try, I really wan this trip to AMD to work out for me.

4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    Here some Voltage table for you:
    Do not exceed 1.175v in P7
    Make sure to check HotSpot temps in HWiNFO64 (try not to get to high there 72-79deg. is max good IMO)
    Also make sure to set:
    Target Temp = 65deg,
    Max Temp = 75 or 79deg.

PS.
    I have fans set to Max 2600RPM and i do not exceed 68deg (HotSpot, rest is lower than 60deg) even on Long Session.

[​IMG]

Here my last AC: O session with Fan set to 2200RPM
    For AC is ok but for BF1 or Prey i need it at 2400-2600 for 68deg mark.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
  6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
  7. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    It would have been nice to see how Vega runs 4k at Ultra settings. That looks like medium or maybe even low.

8. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    It would hve to be, I don't think we will see a card comfortable at 4K for a good while.

9. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    In the frontpage news there is a video of it running at 4k max settings. They don't list the hardware, but it looks very impressive compared.

10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Maddness likes this.

11. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    The Crew 2 Video Card Performance Review

Introduces ATI Radeon new SSAO+ and Contact Hardening Soft Shadows (CHS Shadows)
    Contact Hardening Shadows (CH Shadows) was first introduced in GTA V, now we have #Bettered one (Soft)

-> https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/07/10/crew_2_video_card_performance_review/1

"The first setting that can be manually set is Shadows. When "Ultra" Video Preset is selected this value will be set to "High." There is a higher setting called "Contact Hardening Soft Shadows" that you can manually enable. This will provide soft edged shadows in the game based on distance from the light source, also called Contact Hardening Shadows (CHS) technology. This is a DX11 DirectCompute feature as implemented but has origins from AMD technologies.

The second setting that can manually be increased further is Ambient Occlusion. At "Ultra" this setting sets the "SSAO" quality option. However, under "Custom" you can manually turn this up to "SSAO+" quality option. SSAO stands for Screen Space Ambient Occlusion. This technology has origins dating back to the game Crysis as it was developed by Crytek to perform the ambient occlusion effect in real-time.

SSAO+ is basically a newer method of SSAO that improves upon SSAO.
    SSAO+ uses a newer algorithm that renders the scene in a much faster way, as well as reducing artifacts created by SSAO."

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    UPD.

Best for Gaming so far (Air modellos):
    1. Sapphire Nitro+ /LE
    2. PowerColor Devil
    3. ASUS StriX
    4. ??AsRock Gaming??
    5. Reference (Diff is ~7-20FPS !!)

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Yeah for Vega the liquid 64 should be the top of the line, air wise I'm pretty sure Red Devil and Nitro+ are trading blows mainly because Nitro+ LE isn't easily available anymore so these two are really close.
    Strix has gotten some more fixed feedback from what I've read in regards to cooling of the VRM's or some thermal issue but that might have been the earlier models, they have a different bios as well from what I recall.

For Nitro+ LE I believe in addition to a third power connector it also has a different backplate and the cooler is a vapor chamber design which is more efficient, higher stock clocks too.
    (Also has LED's but eh that doesn't add anything to the performance of the card but that's why it's a few percentages above the non-LE version and it's no longer sold or at least very rarely available in stock.)

There's a couple of driver bugs (When isn't there, NVIDIA has a few too.) but it's a solid GPU. :)
    Clock speeds and states can lock easily and for 18.6.1 there's a new issue with multi-monitor setups forcing the highest memory clock states constantly although from the AMD Reddit this seems to be only if you have mixed refresh rate monitors and mostly if one of them is 144hz. (Turning the monitor on and off might help.)

EDIT: Stock air model for Vega 64 isn't bad or anything either but it hits the thermals and other limits more readily than the third party models which affects it's peak performance.

14. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    "EDIT: Stock air model for Vega 64 isn't bad or anything either but it hits the thermals and other limits more readily than the third party models which affects it's peak performance."

Unfortunatelly if you have Default Model of 64 you need to Cool it right:
    Morpheus III
    Or Custom LC
    Or DIY or go for 80% Blower + Additional fans to help cool it.
    Then 1600+ is possible (MindBlank Tech has YT for this)

15. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    z8373767 and Maddness like this.

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    On Fiji Please take down textures to High :cool:

[​IMG]

Here some V64 XTX YT 1440p 8xMSAA ;)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  17. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    OnnA likes this.
  18. Toadstool

Toadstool Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    What setting are you guys running for a Vega Undervolt? I'm using Wattman at the moment but I plan to mess with OverdriveNTool, to be honest I'm not really sure what the difference is. The only aspect I'm not super clear on is what the Power Limit does, so if anyone could elaborate on that I'd appreciate it.

Currently I'm running:

P6: ~1500 ( whatever stock is) @ 950mV
    P7: ~1600 (again, stock) @ 1050mV
    HBM: 1020 @ 950mV (From what I understand this is the voltage floor not the actual memory voltage.)
    Power Limit: +20%

Anything less than +20% PL and the memory caps at 800. Core clock sits around 1540 and sometimes bumps up to ~1560-1580. Undervolting has helped temps a ton, stock I was hitting 90+ on the memory but UV'd the core sits around 78 with the memory/hotspot hitting 84 or so. I'm trying to keep the clocks as close to or above stock while taking the power consumption and temps down.

19. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Power limit allows the GPU to draw more wattage above the specs of the GPU without throttling. :)
    (EDIT: Well I hope I got that right at least, it's my understanding of how this is supposed to work.)

So at 50% for example and if the GPU were to be capped at was it 260w in normal mode? Well it'd be 390w instead that it could draw "up to" without throttling.
    If it needs to, common is to try and pull this down but then monitor how the GPU reacts and hitting a balance though with the current cards you usually have to bump it up a bit or the GPU will hit the throttle point for power usage.

Balance it right and you can cut down the default power consumption by a pretty nice amount, Vega 64's being higher binned should have even better headroom for undervolting and reducing total wattage even lower as a result. :)
    (Though the defaults push the cards pretty far already if it tries to sustain clock speeds around or above 1700Mhz and 1000Mhz core and memory respectively.)

I'd focus on trying to push memory clocks first and stabilize those at around 1000 - 1050mhz or so depending on the settings needed to ensure stability before trying to push core clocks higher, up to 1100Mhz sees nice gains although thermals and throttling is a concern without water cooling or very effective air cooling since the HBM2 memory modules AFAIK starts reducing timings at 65 degrees already and thus sees a slight performance penalty.

Monitoring software will usually also focus primarily on the GPU core consumption for power usage so the total draw could be higher and thus that hits the threshold for when it starts throttling thus pushing the power limit up to say 20% maybe being enough to offset this. It's a bit of trial and error and lots of testing I suppose, the GPU when it behaves without bios quirks or driver issues has a pretty interesting way to try and maintain speeds and these throttling or limiting points but it doesn't always work so GPU driver crashes or shut-downs occurs. Games or other software more sensitive to memory speeds and then games or software more sensitive to GPU core clock speeds would be best to try with in my opinion although you don't want something that's broken or semi-broken with the current drivers or such either of course since that incorrectly skews results into looking like the card isn't stable when it's a software issue either with the drivers or the program or even Windows really in some cases. :)

Heard Battlefield One and the upcoming WW2 game on Frostbite are sensitive to memory clock speeds, GPU core wise I find UE4 to be very crash prone if things are unstable but the engine can be problematic on AMD too depending on which version is used and then drivers or game specific issues from the developers side so that's something to be aware of too.

EDIT: Well I'm still learning more about this too, lots of reading existing guides over on the AMD Reddit thread and the Overclockers UK forums and other sources but it's basically the same, Vega is very scalable and the better binned models are very nice for under volting and benefits nicely from a lower overall power consumption and the resulting lower thermals too.
    (AMD again pushing the cards really hard and overclocking further quickly runs into a spike where it wants a lot of power for very minimal gains but there's some headroom for both overclocking and undervolting or a bit of both by having a higher sustained and consistent clock speed without hitting any limits or throttling.)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  20. Toadstool

Toadstool Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Ok thanks, that pretty much confirms most of my thinking. I was worried raising the Power Limit would defeat the purpose of an undervolt but I see how increasing the voltage headroom doesn't mean the card will actually draw that much power. Right now my temps are decent and I'm happy with the performance. I'll keep messing around and see if I can't get the voltage lower or squeeze some more mhz out of the memory. I've been using Battlefield 1 as my real world test after quickly checking stability with Metro and Tomb Raider benchmarks, good to know that one is memory sensitive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.