RX Vega 64 owner? need help!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Legendary_Agent, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    Greetings guys, ive recently bought an RX Vega 64 limited edition version which is a beauty to behold for a stock cooler however i cant seem to think i have a problem with this card.

You see whenever i play a game or do a benchmark, even a benchmark like furmark the temperature of the card is never stable! It will jump up or down by 4 degrees most of the time:

I dont mean like:
    70-71-72-73-74-75 too quickly, No.

I mean:
    69-70-74-69-70-74-71-75-72-76-71-75-71-75-71-75-71-75 etc...

Im worried that the temperature sensor is faulty as when i specify a specific fan profile with a specific temperature target i will get random warnings my gpu temp threshold has been exceeded because of these random temperature jumps...

EDIT: THIS EVEN HAPPENS AT IDLE TEMPS:
    33-38-37-33-37-33 etc...

Do you guys experience the errratic temperature problems as i do? Ive searched some youtube videos and i couldnt find anyone having this issue.

Im using Win10, drivers 17.9.3 (even 17.10.3 does it).

Please if you can help me with this info it will be very important to me so i can return it to the store asap.

Best Regards!
    Eugen.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  2. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I'm afraid I watercooled mine as soon as I got it.
    I have noticed that the HBM temp (not the "Hotspot" temp) seems borked.

I have left GPU-z running for at least the last week, and havent played any games, just desktop stuff and watching films/series.
    The GPU hasn't been above 21C, but somehow the HBM max temp shows 67C.
    Don't know when or why, but thats high.
    The HBM "Hotspot" temp shows a max of 22C.
    Running 17.9.3 atm, haven't upgraded yet, and the Creators update is waiting for a reboot....

Legendary_Agent likes this.
  3. Legendary_Agent

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    Oh well thanks anyways for your time, the problem i have is with the GPU temp in the radeon settings wattman, but even when viewing temps in furmark, the discrepancy is the same 4 degrees randomly going up and down :(

So even at idle, using radeon wattman graphs, you do not see temp going up or down by 4C?

4. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I haven't used wattman lately, but looking at it now, watching a video at the same time, the GPU temp oscillates between 19 and 20C, with a single dip to 17C.
    It could obviously oscillate more under aircooling...someone still on aircooling will have to confirm for you.

5. Legendary_Agent

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    Thank you for your information and your help :) so it oscilates sometimes to 3 degrees difference, mine oscilates more frequently to 4 degrees difference as you can see here:
    [​IMG]

If anyone has similar results on idling without anything open like browsers and such it would be a great deal of help letting me know, that way i avoid rma the card for nothing and it means the defect is present on all cards not just mine.

Best Regards!

6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    Maby because of Fan gets Higher/Lower RPM?

7. Legendary_Agent

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    Hello, thank you for your reply, nope, as you can see in the graph at the first quarter, the fan, the gpu clock, the gpu load, the gpu mem clock remains static while the only thing jumping up and down erratically is the gpu temperature. I swapped to the RX580 sapphire nitro + special edition i have here and that card temperature reading was solid no oscilation whatsoever except for 1 degree up and down which is perfectly normal.

8. Legendary_Agent

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    Here im showing you another wattman graph with fan speed the same, gpu memory clock same, gpu clock same and activity same. All Except the stupid temperature oscilating 5 degrees as usual...

[​IMG]

9. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    Hmm, dunno.
    Maby it is what it is, just Software read is bugged for Vega.
    IMO it is soft bug, nothin' to worry about. :cool:

10. Legendary_Agent

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    Thx for your reply OnnA, do you have a rx vega to test it?

After much surfing and searching around the net still the temperature oscilation semms rather suspicious, please anyone with an rx vega can confirm the 4 degrees random oscilation when idling in wattman with 0% gpu load? Im really trying to figure out if it happens with everyone or just me.

Best Regards,
    Eugen.

11. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    Not yet, im waiting for some good AIBs or for Vega2.
    Happy with my RIG 100%.

12. Legendary_Agent

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    Closing this thread down by saying, i went to the store and asked them nicely to test my graphics card & another vega 64 they had for testing on their rig, mine showed 4 degrees oscilation while the other vega 64 was rock solid. So, for anyone wondering if at idle gpu temp oscilation by 4 degrees is normal or not IT IS NOT as the temp sensor is broken.

Best regards,
    Eugen.